Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Now that we are joining *A, where will CO expand to next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now that we are joining *A, where will CO expand to next?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: Continental,Marriott Rewards
How about CLE-FRA
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MRF777
How about CLE-FRA
Too long for a 752 and no 76/77s around.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:41 am

I would love to see service to ICN...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I would like to see more service out of LAX. Am I dreaming?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Phudnik
LH already flies EWR-MUC.
Yes, but IIRC there are only two NYC – MUC direct flights, total. Possibly MUC could use one more on CO metal?

And do we know how tight CO will be with LH? Since CO will be pretty tight with UA, does the transitive property mean CO will be pretty tight with LH? Did they have any thoughts about this in the Alliance/Partner sub-forum at the last DO?

Service NYC – MUC is always a puzzle to me, compared to AMS, for example. There is probably much more business travel to MUC than AMS, and I’m assuming as much or more tourism travel to MUC than AMS, yet there seem to be many more NYC – AMS flights. Is it just an issue that AMS is one of the major Sky Team connection points (along with CDG), while Munich is close to 100% O/D?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:52 am

Re: Cle - fra

Originally Posted by sbm12
Too long for a 752 and no 76/77s around.
Really? EWR - ARN is only about 200 miles less, is this just at the edge of the 752 range?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CO EWR CPH
And do we know how tight CO will be with LH? Since CO will be pretty tight with UA, does the transitive property mean CO will be pretty tight with LH? Did they have any thoughts about this in the Alliance/Partner sub-forum at the last DO?
One of CO's main goals is to be included in the *A ATI agreement. That includes AC, LH, UA and a few others. Should that come to pass CO will be very tight with LH on TATL flights.
Really? EWR - ARN is only about 200 miles less, is this just at the edge of the 752 range?
Yes. EWR-TXL had to upgrade equipment for the winter to avoid the tech stops on the westbound flights. EWR-ARN is 50 miles shorter than that route. Those flights are running right at the edge of the envelope, and adding ~200 miles would kill them.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by johdhj
I would love to see service to ICN...
I've found it interesting that in all the years CO in Skyteam, they never even hinted/hints at flying to ICN to connect with KE. And KE never started flights to IAH or EWR.

I'd be interested to see what the relationship between CO and OZ will be. Perhaps OZ will switch their JFK flight to EWR?

One thing that will make a flight to ICN unlikely is that CO will have a strong Asian partner NH at NRT. And Chinese destinations can be connected via PEK and PVG. So, there's less need to connect with OZ for other northern Asian destinations.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
And do we know how tight CO will be with LH?
All indications are that they will join UA in a JV with LH and AC. From a United Press Release:

The planned trans-Atlantic joint venture, in which Continental, United, Lufthansa and Air Canada will pool revenue, will permit the carriers to compete more effectively with the proposed joint venture involving certain SkyTeam members that was recently granted antitrust immunity. The trans-Atlantic joint venture will combine the strength of the carriers to create a more efficient and comprehensive trans-Atlantic network for the carriers' customers.
Does anyone know if LX is included under this, as well?

Service NYC – MUC is always a puzzle to me, compared to AMS, for example. There is probably much more business travel to MUC than AMS, and I’m assuming as much or more tourism travel to MUC than AMS, yet there seem to be many more NYC – AMS flights. Is it just an issue that AMS is one of the major Sky Team connection points (along with CDG), while Munich is close to 100% O/D?
I think you are overestimating the business travel market to MUC and underestimating the tourist market to AMS. AMS is a very popular location for US businesses because the Dutch are much, much more business-friendly than the Germans, particularly with regards to tax planning. Ex-IAH, you also have the 800lb gorilla of Shell.

And, according to this (link), it gets almost double the foreign visitors that Munich does.

Certainly, MUC might steal a flight or two, but I don't think it will ever see the capacity that AMS does/did.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I've found it interesting that in all the years CO in Skyteam, they never even hinted/hints at flying to ICN to connect with KE. And KE never started flights to IAH or EWR.
I've always been a bit surprised too. But given that it didn't happen with ST, I'd have to say I would be surprised if it happened when they join *A.

Last edited by pbarnette; Feb 19, 2009 at 1:12 pm
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
EWR-IST...CO would be nice, but I'd even settle for TK.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by rkkwan
And KE never started flights to IAH or EWR.

But they did to DFW...where they have no partners based.....
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Certainly, MUC might steal a flight or two, but I don't think it will ever see the capacity that AMS does/did.
Although, with the very odd cold war-esque LH hub placement (no hub at TXL, quasi hub at MUC, main hub at FRA), one can never tell where the bulk of their ops are going these days. Especially with the new Berlin-Brandenberg Airport (BER/BBI) opening soon...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by theblakefish
But they did to DFW...where they have no partners based.....
Actually, at the time KE started DFW service, DFW was still a DL hub. IIRC it was also started before CO entered SkyTeam. Apparently the flight has done well enough without much SkyTeam feed to last all these years.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:47 pm

All indications are that they will join UA in a JV with LH and AC. From a United Press Release:
Thank you for linking this press release; so cooperation will be through a JV rather than an ATI? Is UA speaking out of turn here, or have CO, LH, UA, and AC all agreed to this? As I recall, last summer UA was always a bit ahead of CO when it came to press releases.

I think you are overestimating the business travel market to MUC and underestimating the tourist market to AMS. AMS is a very popular location for US businesses because the Dutch are much, much more business-friendly than the Germans, particularly with regards to tax planning. Ex-IAH, you also have the 800lb gorilla of Shell.
I suppose you are right about AMS, especially for the financial sector. That link is fascinating and the rank of some cities on there extremely surprising. Given its tourism appeal, I'm shocked on how far down on the list MUC is.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Although, with the very odd cold war-esque LH hub placement (no hub at TXL, quasi hub at MUC, main hub at FRA), one can never tell where the bulk of their ops are going these days. Especially with the new Berlin-Brandenberg Airport (BER/BBI) opening soon...

Why would anybody HUB in Berlin? There is NOTHING in Berlin but the capital and lots of people living there that don't have any money at all. So Berlin is not considered and LH already said that they won't HUB there once the new airport comes online. Even before the financial crisis, Berlin was bankrupt, there are no real businesses there either.

MUC is way wealthier, both the people and the businesses there. Also, MUC is not just a quasi hub for LH but a real one as much as EWR is a HUB for CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.