Wiki Posts
Search

Future CO/UA cross-fleeting routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Since we're dreaming and all, I'd like to add my $.02 on the EWR-TLV changes. I love MBM3's idea of 3X daily 744s. But with the following conditions:

UA's new International First suites, plus Business class modeled after BusinessFirst. Say 24 F and 50-70ish C. E+ obviously. And elites can choose E+ for free. And to better compete with LY, offer EUAs, even from E to C. (Though this can happen a couple of hours out.) Hey, I can dream, right
That would be sweet.

Just imagine, though, if all we end up with is no international F, no E+, no PS...and no RJ's larger than 50 seats (after CAL & UAL ALPA insist on it during the next round of contract negotiations).

All of a sudden, the dream turns into something of a nightmare...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
That would be sweet.

Just imagine, though, if all we end up with is no international F, no E+, no PS...and no RJ's larger than 50 seats (after CAL & UAL ALPA insist on it during the next round of contract negotiations).

I can see it now: CO announces an increase to 30 daily flights between EWR and TLV. What they're hiding is all 30 flights are on Q400s!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by No1racer
Another cross-fleeting example I see is IAH-ANC. It is a low yield touristy route.
I am not so sure about that statement, there is a lot of oil traffic that uses ANC as a jumping point to other areas of Alaska.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
!

That would be sweet.

You might just be the most negative poster on all of FT!!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
You might just be the most negative poster on all of FT!!
If this happens, it has nothing to do with me...

For years I have been playing up the benefits of E+ and if it were to be taken away, no one would be more devastated than me.

I don't call it being negative, I call it being diligent.

Don't let them get away with getting rid of all these wonderful benefits of UA...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If this happens, it has nothing to do with me...

For years I have been playing up the benefits of E+ and if it were to be taken away, no one would be more devastated than me.

I don't call it being negative, I call it being diligent.

Don't let them get away with getting rid of all these wonderful benefits of UA...
Can't argue with that. I certainly appreciate the visible effort people like you have made and agree with the need to keep the pressure on.

E+ is a good place to start, but the uncomfortable (and allegedly unsafe) design of Koito CO Y seats on most of the 737 fleet needs to be addressed as well.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't argue with that. I certainly appreciate the visible effort people like you have made and agree with the need to keep the pressure on.

E+ is a good place to start, but the uncomfortable (and allegedly unsafe) design of Koito CO Y seats on most of the 737 fleet needs to be addressed as well.
Agreed.

One thing that intrigued me about the Koito scandal is that the EASA, the EU equivalent of the FAA, not only banned Koito from manufacturing new seats (as did the FAA), but they also banned any a/c with Koito seats from operating in the EU airspace, based on safety concerns.

The FAA did not go so far, because, according to sources quoted in the NY Times and the WSJ, they were concerned about the effect grounding virtually the entire CO fleet would have on the airline business.

What I don't understand, though, is how CO continues to operate in EU airspace...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Agreed.

One thing that intrigued me about the Koito scandal is that the EASA, the EU equivalent of the FAA, not only banned Koito from manufacturing new seats (as did the FAA), but they also banned any a/c with Koito seats from operating in the EU airspace, based on safety concerns.
What I don't understand, though, is how CO continues to operate in EU airspace...
That's not 100% accurate.

EASA will require that all Koito seats be removed from aircraft within two years unless the airline is willing to pursue a new certification process for the seats in question. Any such plan must be first approved by EASA before going into effect.

The FAA will also require certification of the seats but not at a 100% compliance level based on the original spec.

More details and links to the source material here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...-seat-debacle/.

There are at least 18 months left before CO has to replace all the seats on affected aircraft to comply with the EASA directive and I'm betting that there are some serious discussions/negotiations underway right now on that front.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
That's not 100% accurate.

EASA will require that all Koito seats be removed from aircraft within two years unless the airline is willing to pursue a new certification process for the seats in question. Any such plan must be first approved by EASA before going into effect.

The FAA will also require certification of the seats but not at a 100% compliance level based on the original spec.

More details and links to the source material here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...-seat-debacle/.

There are at least 18 months left before CO has to replace all the seats on affected aircraft to comply with the EASA directive and I'm betting that there are some serious discussions/negotiations underway right now on that front.
That explains why they're still allowed to fly in the EU territory. Thanks for the info.

If EASA doesn't cave, it will be interesting to see what happens to CO's Koito seats. Perhaps this will be the catalyst to scuttle this wretched seat (although I know you love it) and add E+ to the economy cabin interiors...
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by sbm12
IAH-LIM has already been reported as reverting to EUA-able as of a couple weeks ago, partially because of a 753 on the schedule for the winter. I would expect that to hold and that it will be EUA/UDU-eligible going forward.
I agree too. They would have a lot of trouble selling UA domestic config seats as BF/C seats.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Bolding mine)

I had read about the Koito scandal, but I never fully understood what it was. The article I had been reading merely referenced in connection with CO's change of plans. More importantly, what safety issue was there?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Bolding mine)

I had read about the Koito scandal, but I never fully understood what it was. The article I had been reading merely referenced in connection with CO's change of plans. More importantly, what safety issue was there?
Koito falsified its safety tests for the seats, primarily as regards the required flammability standards.

Koito's CEO held a press conference in which he explained that, given how inexpensively Koito was selling its seats, it was not possible to actually fund real safety tests. Nice.

In the United Stattes, Continental is by far and away Koito's biggest client and about 90% of CO's fleet has Koito seats.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Koito falsified its safety tests for the seats, primarily as regards the required flammability standards.

Koito's CEO held a press conference in which he explained that, given how inexpensively Koito was selling its seats, it was not possible to actually fund real safety tests. Nice.

In the United Stattes, Continental is by far and away Koito's biggest client and about 90% of CO's fleet has Koito seats.
But in theory, the seats could still be safe. They just need to be tested. Correct?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But in theory, the seats could still be safe. They just need to be tested. Correct?
Correct.

You can read this report:

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/...y-wide-issues/

My own gut feeling is that these seats do likely meet the standards.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Correct.

You can read this report:

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/...y-wide-issues/

My own gut feeling is that these seats do likely meet the standards.
They probably do. After all, a plane that most likely had those seats, did go up in flames just over two years ago in DEN, and the fire was certainly contained long enough to allow for safe evacuation of all on board. There certainly weren't any reports of all the seats in the plane suddenly bursting into flames, even in the area where the fire did broach the cabin during the evacuation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.