Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'ATC' Excuse - Flagrant Cover-Up

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 9:20 am
Original Poster

The 'ATC' Excuse - Flagrant Cover-Up

Last night's (3/12) CO 39 from EWR to IAH pushed about on time, got to the end of the runway and then turned back due to an oil pressure light on the #2 engine.

Fixed after about 90 minutes in teh ballaprk area at EWR, we then took of and landed in IAH late enough for me to miss the connection. On presenting myself at 'Customer No Service' I was told, 'Oh, this is ATC related, no hotel room or meals for you.'

So now we know why kids are directing air traffic, all of the controllers are out with wrenches fixing CO's Boeings.

Nasty, cheap, DL/UA/US-like trick by CO to save $75 per inconvenienced passenger by blaming ATC for something that was clearly not ATC. BTW, the 'ATC lie' was confirmed by two levels above the agent that I spoke to - so it is pervasive.

Sad that CO now follows the others in treating customer interaction as a battele to be won rather than a chance to shine. For the want of a hotel room they have changed me from a person who says 'Things happen' into one that will work against them in the same way they work against me.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Wandering Lion
Fixed after about 90 minutes in teh ballaprk area at EWR, we then took of and landed in IAH late enough for me to miss the connection. On presenting myself at 'Customer No Service' I was told, 'Oh, this is ATC related, no hotel room or meals for you.'
I took Mesa (UA Ex) to small claims court due to a nearly identical situation and won (they failed to show) four or five years ago.

I'd suggest you contact WE-CARE about this first however.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
Anything xEWR is ATC-related by default. They saw "EWR" and automatically assumed.

A polite, yet sternly worded letter is in order (rather than a phone call). A paper letter carries more weight, literally and figuratively, but copy it electronically, too.

BTW, did you try calling the elite desk or talking to the agents in PC?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Question

Is this worth a letter to the DOT?
(or they don't care about this type of ill treatment)
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
This has happened to me before too. And yes on CO, and yes involving EWR. Write a letter to CO (addressed to whomever you like, for anyone that wants to kick that dead horse some more) and notate that you are copying the FAA on the letter. Be sure to send a copy to the FAA, no they probably don't care, but it does get tallied eventually.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by Billiken
Is this worth a letter to the DOT?
(or they don't care about this type of ill treatment)
Yes,its worth and they care about it. Airlines don't like DOT involved.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:10 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by elpi

Yes,its worth and they care about it. Airlines don't like DOT involved.
I agree...sad that you have to do that when companies play shenanigans with the rules...if they want play hard ball...fine...play hard ball back...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
So did the OP end up getting a hotel?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:47 pm

Next time ask the agents to print out the History of your flights FLIFO. This might show why your flight was delayed the first time.

All agents should know how to do this but just in case: 2__*H....._ is your flight number; 2124*H
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Question

Originally Posted by sfogate
Next time ask the agents to print out the History of your flights FLIFO.
Will they allow the pax to have this information?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by sfogate
All agents should know how to do this but just in case: 2__*H....._ is your flight number; 2124*H
I'm wondering what tricks you'll learn us all after a couple of months in the bag department...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
Will they allow the pax to have this information?
I don't see why not. It's the same stuff that you can see on your PDA except the PDA only shows that latest/last entry. Our FLIFO (flight information) history shows all the entries and times posted.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Maybe if you had bought the travel insurance from continental.com or I think Amex has it to you wouldnt be so upset? @:-)
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by belynch
I took Mesa (UA Ex) to small claims court due to a nearly identical situation and won (they failed to show) four or five years ago.

I'd suggest you contact WE-CARE about this first however.
was that worth all the time and energy to recover a hotel room charge? you wanted to prove a point I guess? I guess to me it wouldnt be worth it..@:-)
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL GM
You bought the ticket. COs only responsibility is to get you from A to B. You're on your own because they make no guarantee you'll get there based on the scheduled time published for your purchased flights. Live with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.