Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Best Continental Credit Card / Chase Offers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)

Saw this posted to the offers page and thought I'd post it here.

25k on sign up + 5k with an additional card member + 5k at the one year anniversary + all the usual frills that come with the world card.

Hope it helps and as always, use at your own risk.

link

Last edited by J.Edward; Mar 20, 2010 at 6:47 pm
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
It looks like Chase is also offering 25K for a checking account now, which is up from the 21K they've been consistently offering in the past.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:41 am

The 40k for the world credit card offer is still bouncing around.
Promo code is (still) TB6599
25k +5k for auth user + 10k at anniversary +world card bonuses

I think the promo code only registers for silver and higher? Friend couldn't use it before he turned silver, now it appears in his offers.

I used it...but I'm plat.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage
you know i just got this card about a month ago, and i never received the 5k bonus after first purchase and didn't receive the 5k for signing my wife up on the card either
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA
Has anyone been successful in getting Chase to open up a checking account over the phone instead of going into a branch? I'd love to take advantage of the promo, but I'm in PHL and the closest branch looks to be in central Jersey about 45 minutes away from me.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:12 pm

Don't forget all the bonus miles you can get (starting today) by registering for Mileathon. 20 pts (2,500 miles) for a Chase or KeyBank Debit Card, 30 pts (5,000 miles) for a Chase Credit Card, 50 pts (10,000 miles) for a World MasterCard.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:45 pm

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Does anyone have experience with using the 2 for 1 purchase feature for BusinessFirst using the credit card? I have seen some HNL and Europe fares with $2000-$2500 fares with A class fares. Are these the ones where you can purchase 2 for 1 using the Continental credit card?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:15 pm

Does anyone know what the turnaround time is to get their credit card? I just read about the free 1st bag offer if you have one of their cards. I'm leaving on my CO trip in 6 weeks, could I get a card by then?

I'm primarily interested in the free baggage allowance, so I'm thinking the Travelbank card is the best deal (1st year free). I've seen the offer for the World MC (for $85, main benefit seems to be 25k + 5k miles). I don't have any CO miles: I'm linking with Delta on the way out, United (when they move from SkyTeam to Star) on the way back, so I'm not sure the 30k miles is worth the expense.

Any recommendations?

Jeff
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by jwhite4
Does anyone know what the turnaround time is to get their credit card? I just read about the free 1st bag offer if you have one of their cards. I'm leaving on my CO trip in 6 weeks, could I get a card by then?

I'm primarily interested in the free baggage allowance, so I'm thinking the Travelbank card is the best deal (1st year free). I've seen the offer for the World MC (for $85, main benefit seems to be 25k + 5k miles). I don't have any CO miles: I'm linking with Delta on the way out, United (when they move from SkyTeam to Star) on the way back, so I'm not sure the 30k miles is worth the expense.

Any recommendations?

Jeff

Jeff,

You should get the free baggage allowance in a matter of days. When I applied, I did so through the link on CO's website; I don't recall exactly how quickly it happened, but the MasterCard showed up in my CO account as a method of payment almost immediately (it may have been two minutes, it may have been a day, I don't remember). Once the card is connected to your account, you're set for the baggage allowance.

I was on a three day trip, and I paid the baggage fee outbound, applied for the card from my hotel room while on the trip (was approved instantly), and didn't pay the baggage fee on the return. I was pretty impressed.

Six weeks shouldn't be any problem at all.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by tvetter01
Jeff,
...Once the card is connected to your account, you're set for the baggage allowance...
As mentioned, right now it's not my intention to link a OnePass account with my flights. I'm expecting to do Plan B, which is to show them the credit card at checkin time.

One extra 'complication' is the Mileathon promotion going on. From the list, I'd earn miles for: enrolling in OnePass (I'm not a member now), checking in online, and applying for a credit card. The World MC could get me 30k miles (25k + 5k), plus I'm looking at over 10k flying miles for my trip. It might be that spending the $85 annual fee could get me a 'critical mass' of miles that it's worth going that route.

Semi-related, can someone give me a quick overview of how Continental award flights will work once they move to Star? I've used Delta Skymiles (where I have the bulk of my miles) to get CO flights w/o issues. I also have a good amount of miles with United, so I'm hoping the process would be similar. I may not mind 'orphaning' ~40k miles in OnePass, as long as I know I can use UA miles to get me a second ticket.

I'm figuring I should make up my decision by this weekend, to give the physical credit card enough time to arrive.

Jeff
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:11 am

My head must have been in a fog: $85 for 30k+ miles is a steal. Even if I get just one US48 ticket out of it, I'm ahead. Any offers better than the 40k one at the beginning of this thread?

Jeff
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:43 am

I'm figuring I should make up my decision by this weekend, to give the physical credit card enough time to arrive.

Jeff
Whatever you choose, it's not going to take anything like 6 weeks to get the physical card. 10 days, maybe?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:07 am

Good to know. Haven't done a CC application in a while.

Semi--related, does anyone know if you can add an additional cardholder (for the 5k bonus) who already is a primary cardholder? Wondering if both myself and my wife can apply for the card, then add each other as secondary users.

Jeff
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:27 pm

Yes, you can.

Good to know. Haven't done a CC application in a while.

Semi--related, does anyone know if you can add an additional cardholder (for the 5k bonus) who already is a primary cardholder? Wondering if both myself and my wife can apply for the card, then add each other as secondary users.

Jeff
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:24 pm
jtb

Programs: SPG, AS, AA, CO
Originally Posted by TommyC80
It looks like Chase is also offering 25K for a checking account now, which is up from the 21K they've been consistently offering in the past.
Yes they are...I just did this on Tuesday...25k each for one business and one personal checking account. Kicker was that the confirmation letter (confirming the terms of the bonuses) the banker gave me for each offer stated that this bonus was in addition to the normal bonus of 2500 miles for each account soooo 55k total miles for two checking accounts and 30 minutes of my time. With the mileathon promo bonus from this and other "credit earning activities" I hope to be up to 175k miles by Feb. and I've never even gotten within throwing distance of a CO jet.

Okay so I looked at my papers as I filed them away last night....my statement of getting an additional 2500 miles each in addition to the 25k offer was WRONG. The offer states a total of 25k. Sorry but I got too giddy over an extra 5k miles for no effort.

Last edited by jtb; Sep 4, 2009 at 10:23 am Reason: CORRECTION

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.