Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Elite Y Fare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Upgrade Elite Y Fare

I was checking flights on co.com for a friend (EWR - MSY 2/1/08) and on many of the connecting flights from IAH there is an "Upgrade Elite Y Fare" link that has a yellow "'U" graphic in front of it. Clicking on the link brings me to the "Elite Upgrades" web page. This occurrs whether or not I'm signed in with my OP ID.

I'm not Elite, nor was I last year and won't be silver until June. Is there any explanation for why this link is there? Is it just an error or is there some option I have?

Last edited by SuperG1955; Jan 18, 2008 at 8:40 am Reason: Added information
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is always there if the A inventory is available, whether you are elite or not. If there are no more elites to upgrade at departure time as a non-elite you can get the upgrade, but I wouldn't bet on that, especially on EWR-MSY.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: CO Silver, Miles and More Silver
and i believe a non-elite buys a Y-up fare, they can choose seats in the elite section of coach
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Well said.

I did a better search after I posted the original and got the explanation.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by COFan
and i believe a non-elite buys a Y-up fare, they can choose seats in the elite section of coach
This is true for any Y fare, not just Y-up
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by COFan
I would love to know what is elite about the elite section of coach.

I know what is not elite about the elite section of coach:

1. Same miserable 31" seat pitch as the rest of Y
2. Same uncomfortable seats as the rest of Y
3. Same meal service (if any) as the rest of Y
4. Same beverage service as the rest of Y
5. Same IFE as the rest of Y
6. No in-seat power as the rest of the a/c (on the EWR-MSY flights)

I do know that the elite section of coach is furthest away from the lavs, which are in the back of the plane on the a/c that fly EWR-MSY.

Of course, the elite section is at the front of the coach cabin meaning slightly more rapid egress once the destination is reached...

What else is there? The pleasing, vaguely aristocratic shade of blue of the elite section in the seat map?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
What else is there?
You forgot one: No overhead storage for a non-elite because you have to board last and everyone in the back and the elites who pre-boarded have already filled the overheads with their stuff.

Actually, if you buy the Y fare you get EliteAccess, so you can pre-board, but if you're non-elite and just move into those seats at the 24 hour window you don't get it so you will get hosed on the overheads.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sbm12
You forgot one: No overhead storage for a non-elite because you have to board last and everyone in the back and the elites who pre-boarded have already filled the overheads with their stuff.

Actually, if you buy the Y fare you get EliteAccess, so you can pre-board, but if you're non-elite and just move into those seats at the 24 hour window you don't get it so you will get hosed on the overheads.
Technically, though, that has nothing to do with the elite section, but with elite pre-boarding.

After all, on many flights many elites find themselves sitting in the non-elite section for a variety of reasons (elite section full, preference, etc) and there are cases, conversely where non elites are allowed into the elite section.

Getting on the plane first is clearly a big plus, but is not connected to sitting in the elite section.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

My wife actually agreed to do a quasi MR to get Silver so that she could board first and not have to put up with the regular security lines at EWR.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
My wife actually agreed to do a quasi MR to get Silver so that she could board first and not have to put up with the regular security lines at EWR.
I don't blame her, although the Elite lines at EWR are often questionable. Depending on who is manning the checkpoint, they'll let anyone in there.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: CO, VX, B6, EIEIO, ABC123...
Yeah, I'm a Silver and they let me in the Elite line all the time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.