Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking Lounge at IAH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:56 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I have seen most of those lounges...the problem is: one can merely be walking by and smell the stench coming out of them...if they would just close the door and use some kind of ventilation system....it might be OK.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:06 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I don't go to bars...except if I'm out with friends/colleagues every once in a while...and I drink soda. Why would that be a sign of alcoholism? If smoking in a bar were legal in my state...I would not patronize bars at all.
You will have the rings under the eyes...and the nasty mouth area...all in time...all in time.
I was joking about getting a drink after that post...look at the smiley. I haven't had a beer since New Years..and that was in my home with family.

[This message has been edited by IMStill4Travel (edited Nov 24, 2003).]
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:09 pm

Okay, we've got JS against boozing and in favor of smoking, and IMStill4Travel against drinking and also against smoking. I'm pro-smoking and enthusiastic about drinking. Seth's against smoking (except when his patients smoke), so we're looking at a push on the smoking front. But - and here's the important question - where does Seth stand on drinking???

Come on Seth, side with me. I'll represent you pro bono the next time one of your patients sues you for not telling them that smoking is bad for their health.

Once we resolve these pressing issues, we can solicit opinions on sex, drugs and rock and roll. And then we can get into gambling (I like that, too).

BTW, I left weights, too, so it's 3 to 1 in favor in that realm.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:13 pm

A little levity never hurt anyone.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:25 pm

Actually...I like Vegas...I'm there frequently. I love the shows,scenery,good restaurants etc....there's plenty to do without gambling.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:50 pm

The very worst smoking area has to be at NRT (Tokyo) near the the Northwest gates. It's an old Jetway, lined with chairs and ashtrays. There is inadequate ventilation and the room has a constant "fog" with yellow-stained walls and windows. Smoke-on!
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:04 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
I have seen most of those lounges...the problem is: one can merely be walking by and smell the stench coming out of them...if they would just close the door and use some kind of ventilation system....it might be OK. </font>
Not at ATL. Watch someone smoking near the entrance (not even a door, just a wall-free space).

You will see the cigarette smoke curl up and back into the smoking lounge, never to be inhaled by you.

Any smell you detect is either a figment of your imagination, or smell from the smoker's clothes (no different than someone coming in from the outside).

Since the smoking lounges have glass so that people can see in, when the concourse isn't too busy, I make it a point to appear extra happy when I see someone walking by in the concourse.

ATL is a model airport that all other airports should aspire to become. Smoking lounges that don't bother non-smokers, several non-smoking bars (I can only gauge their policies by walking by, seeing as how I'm not a drunkard), the choice of a train or walking between terminals, plenty of space between terminals for planes to back out without crashing into one another, rail transit into the city of Atlanta, simultaneous dual landings and takeoffs, etc.

------------------
"It's as easy as 1, 2, C" -- Kelly, Married With Children
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:46 pm

I'm happy to hear that there is at least one airport in the country that both you and I can co-exist.The only thing bad I have to say about ATL is: they need to get some REAL weather there....I've been delayed so many times out of there that I quit counting...even overnighted about 1/2 dozen times....it's a big Delta/AirTran airport and I'm always flying CO/NW thru there. Maybe that's why the overnighters....not enough departures.
I would say if that airport were anywhere in the Southwest where the weather is A-1...it would be perfect!! Little rain...no snow...no ice...very few thunderstorms etc.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Geez, all I asked was one simple question, and look what it has caused. No wonder the Continental forum has a reputation.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:20 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
This is a sensitive issue.

For the record, I work with tobacco control issues and smoke free environments are becoming more the norm -- and for good reasons that don't need to be debated at length here.

The one thing that folks don't realize is that the so-called enclosed smoking rooms (door less at ATL, for example) can't do the job. Even the HVAC industry that sells smoke evacuation equipment admits this. In order for it to work, the air exchange rate would have to be increased to the level of having a small tornado in the room. Simply can't be done.

You may be interested in knowing that the "smoking rooms" at many airports were actually funded by Phillip Morris!
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:06 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
emphasis added...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dick Ginkowski:
This is a sensitive issue.

For the record, I work with tobacco control issues and smoke free environments are becoming more the norm -- and for good reasons that don't need to be debated at length here.

The one thing that folks don't realize is that the so-called enclosed smoking rooms (door less at ATL, for example) can't do the job. Even the HVAC industry that sells smoke evacuation equipment admits this. In order for it to work, the air exchange rate would have to be increased to the level of having a small tornado in the room. Simply can't be done.</font>
Says who?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You may be interested in knowing that the "smoking rooms" at many airports were actually funded by Phillip Morris!</font>
I am aware of that. Would you prefer to fund construction with the airport's PFC revenue? Would you prefer no construction, and leave the gate areas as half smoking and half non-smoking?

I see nothing wrong with smoke-free areas as long as there is some reasonableness in how it's divided up. 0% smoking and 100% non-smoking is not my idea of "reasonable".

------------------
"It's as easy as 1, 2, C" -- Kelly, Married With Children
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:18 pm

You want to smoke??? Go outside!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
You want to smoke??? Go outside!!!! </font>
Yes, I want to smoke and I will continue to smoke until I don't want to anymore. This is America right? Further, I will smoke where ever I choose to as long as I can afford the petty fine I see on the wall of the airport bathroom. (I've never even heard of someone actually being fined) I don't smoke there often but with an attitude like the one expressed above I think I'll light one up tomorrow just for you! Have a happy Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:49 pm

The smoking areas at LAX are outside, just next to the gates, and quite a nice place to "airplane-watch" while waiting.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:23 pm

For once, I have to say that I agree with JS. Adults are allowed to do things that are not necessarily very good for them (smoke, drink too much, eat too much, not exercise enough, etc.). I have to say that the tone of moral condemnation emanating from people is a little disturbing. Everyone has some self-destructive habits; for some it's smoking. It's not unreasonable to think that airports should make some type of accomodation for behavior that 25% of the population engages in so long as it does not affect non-smokers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.