Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking Lounge at IAH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:40 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seth:

54,000 Americans died last year as a result of second-hand smoke. Kill anyone lately?</font>
40,000 Americans were killed last year by cars. They died at much, much younger ages than people supposed killed by secondhand smoke.

Drive anywhere lately?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It is not the car you drive that is important, it is the size of the arm hanging out the window!
</font>
That doesn't make any sense.

------------------
"It's as easy as 1, 2, C" -- Kelly, Married With Children
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:45 pm
JS
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
I have told folks on many occasions that it's a dirty and nasty habit..and not from behind any keyboard. One thing I always wondered ...why do you say that drinking alcohol and smoking go hand in hand? I tend to have a few beers here and there....but I NEVER,EVER have even the most remote desire for one of those nasty-arse lung darts.
IMHO,smoking is a disease that needs o be treated....it causes increases in health care costs for all of us! It starts fires...even major fires. People throw them on the ground and litter the world.I could go on..and on..and on.
I also believe that it will be illegal at some point....probably not in my or your lifetime...but it will be illegal as it should be.
The fact that someone has a hard time even going a few hours without it being "torture" is ridiculous!! You shouldn't have started that dirty habit in the first place.
I'm glad to be a resident of California, where I don't have to smell your stinkin' cigarette smoke in any restaurant,bar in my state!!
Sorry for the strong conviction here....this one really gets me going ...
I may have to go get a drink now.
</font>
IMHO, drinking is a disease that needs o be treated....it causes increases in health care costs for all of us! It starts fights...even riots. People throw beer bottles on the ground and litter the world.I could go on..and on..and on.
I also believe that it will be illegal at some point....probably not in my or your lifetime...but it will be illegal as it should be.
The fact that someone has a hard time even going a few hours without it being "torture" is ridiculous!! You shouldn't have started that dirty habit in the first place.
I'm glad to be a resident of 1920's America, where I don't have to smell your stinkin' booze breath in any restaurant,bar in my country!!

Oh, there's also...

IMHO, gambling is a disease that needs o be treated....it causes increases in credit card interest rates for all of us! It starts marital problems...even divorce. People throw lottery tickets on the ground and litter the world.I could go on..and on..and on.
I'm glad to be a resident of Utah, where I don't have to watch you throw away your money in any store in my state!!

------------------
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
40,000 Americans were killed last year by cars. They died at much, much younger ages than people supposed killed by secondhand smoke. </font>
Give up, Seth. The wo/man's profile says that s/he's an "actuarial analyst" -- you're screwed.

(How did I do with the gender neutrality?)

Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:48 pm
JS
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SJU Abogado:
Give up, Seth. The wo/man's profile says that s/he's an "actuarial analyst" -- you're screwed.

(How did I do with the gender neutrality?)

</font>
You mean political correctness? Just use "man" and "he". "Man", "he", "his", etc. is an acceptable use if you're not sure of the actual sex of the writer.

Please don't butcher the English language!

------------------
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:53 pm

This is just a general observation, not directed toward any particular individual, but judging by the posts in this thread I think that some of the people on this board need to get a date, if you know what I mean.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
JS....

clarification:
1. 40,000 Americans were killed by cars last year; unfortunately, mass transit is such that most of us have to drive to get around. No one needs to smoke.

2. The second quote refers to working out.

------------------
54,000 Americans died last as a result of second-hand smoke. Kill anyone lately?

It is not the car you drive that is important, it is the size of the arm hanging out the window!
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:32 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Correct JS...those 2 are diseases as well....each in it's own way.
The obvious difference being that smoking affects MANY others as well as the user....it stinks out entire restaurants/bars (not in my state). It gives the user "tobacco" fingertips...creates a nasty film on the inside of the users car windows...and also saturates their clothes,teeth and even their house(if they smoke inside)...you can smell it in the curtains...in the fabric of the couch etc.
How about the nasty black rings under a heavy smokers' eyes...and the smokers wrinkles around the mouth area?? NASTY!! Who would wanna kiss that?? Not me.
I will not even consider dating any lady that smokes..no way..no how. That's a deal breaker.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:39 pm
JS
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
Correct JS...those 2 are diseases as well....each in it's own way.
The obvious difference being that smoking affects MANY others as well as the user....it stinks out entire restaurants/bars (not in my state). It gives the user "tobacco" fingertips...creates a nasty film on the inside of the users car windows...and also saturates their clothes,teeth and even their house(if they smoke inside)...you can smell it in the curtains...in the fabric of the couch etc.
How about the nasty black rings under a heavy smokers' eyes...and the smokers wrinkles around the mouth area?? NASTY!! Who would wanna kiss that?? Not me.
I will not even consider dating any lady that smokes..no way..no how. That's a deal breaker.
</font>
You can date whomever you wish. Why stop at non-smoking? Insist on someone having had a face lift and liposuction.

But seriously, what I don't like is someone telling me what to do and what not to do. I'm an adult, and I can make my own choices, thank you very much.

My hands don't stink because I wash them (washing hands helps prevent the spread of bacterial disease).

My car doesn't stink because I clean it. I can think of several nonsmokers with filthy cars.

My house doesn't stink because I clean that as well. I can think of a few nonsmokers with filthy houses.

Speaking of smell, one of the worst smells one can have, IMHO, is booze breath. It's just nauseating! Worse yet is that when I smell booze breath, I have to be very careful, knowing that the person may fly off a drunken handle should I mis-communicate small talk.

We all have things we like and don't like about other people. I prefer to allow others to make their own decisions (drunken lotto buying and all) rather than treat fellow adults as if they are children to be scolded.

------------------
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:

We all have things we like and don't like about other people. I prefer to allow others to make their own decisions (drunken lotto buying and all) rather than treat fellow adults as if they are children to be scolded.

</font>
JS, I have to agree with you. If someone wants to smoke that is their business. It becomes MY business when it has the potential to effect my health. If you want to smoke outside &lt;away from the doors&gt;, in your car or in your house, that is great. I just don't want my life shortened by your habit. Besides, my patients that smoke tend to me much sicker than my non-smoking patients and someone has to help me pay for my airplane tickets!

------------------
54,000 Americans died last as a result of second-hand smoke. Kill anyone lately?

It is not the car you drive that is important, it is the size of the arm hanging out the window!
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:45 pm
JS
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seth:
JS....

clarification:
1. 40,000 Americans were killed by cars last year; unfortunately, mass transit is such that most of us have to drive to get around. No one needs to smoke.</font>
Have you watched "Laverne and Shirley"? (great classic American TV) They lived in the same city you do, Milwaukee. They didn't even have one car between the two of them. They rode a bike or took the bus to work. When they moved to California and obtained an automobile, the show went downhill.

In any event, no one "needs" to do anything other than obtain food, clothing and shelter, so I'm afraid I can't agree with you on that one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">2. The second quote refers to working out.
</font>
I haven't been to a gym in my entire life, yet I'm still fit, owing to climbing stairs in my office building (after having gone outside to smoke those terrible cigarettes) as well as doing yard work the hard way (e.g., pushing a manual lawnmower rather than being lazy and buying one of those mechanical jobbies that use lung-damaging one-stroke mega-pollutionary gasoline engines).

------------------

[This message has been edited by JS (edited Nov 24, 2003).]
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:50 pm
JS
Suspended

JS, I have to agree with you. If someone wants to smoke that is their business. It becomes MY business when it has the potential to effect my health. If you want to smoke outside &lt;away from the doors&gt;, in your car or in your house, that is great. I just don't want my life shortened by your habit. Besides, my patients that smoke tend to me much sicker than my non-smoking patients and someone has to help me pay for my airplane tickets!

</font>
That is precisely an argument in favor of smoking lounges. Not bars that allow smoking, but plain old smoking lounges, such as ATL, CVG, STL, SLC and LAS. Non-smokers would never enter a smoking lounge. Smokers need not go outside where non-smokers are entering, not to mention wasting security resources.

It's a win-win situation!

------------------
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:50 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
What about all of the other people you affect....and help to kill?? I seriously doubt you clean your house and car after every cigarette...washing your hands after every one...I'll give you that.
You have the rings under the eyes yet? How about the wrinkled mouth area?
I hate booze breath as well...that's why I don't drink in public....I rarely ever drink at all. Only in my own home and even that is minimal..maybe a dozen beers a year.
No one is telling you what to do... that's your defense kicking in because you know what I say correct. If you smoke around me though...I won't hesitate to tell you what to do!!
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:53 pm

Hello Seth...are you lifting these days....I'm a fellow powerlifter. Have competed twice (in my younger days).
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:54 pm

Correct JS...those 2 are diseases as well....each in it's own way. </font>
I guess, then, that Vegas doesn't work that well for you.

Seriously, all Rawhide (remember him - or is that her, JS - s/he's the person who started all this) asked was whether there was a smokers' lounge in IAH. There is not, and virtually every domestic airport has outlawed smoking. I don't recall having recently seen a smokers' lounge anywhere, and - to the best of my recollection - during my travels this year only MCO and PIT allowed smoking in the bars (and as far as PIT is concerned, that's in western PA, where - through my eyes - everybody seems to smoke). Of course, I have not been everywhere domestically, but the point is that the airports have certainly cracked down on smoking.

So, where does that leave us? Is it fair that Mary has to sheepishly break the rules by stealing a smoke in the toilet at IAH? I think not. Sure, smoking is - when you think about it - kind of disgusting (I know, because I have a cigarette or a cigar on occasion, usually when I'm in a bar having a drink), but what's the harm is designating an area for smokers to engage in their own activity/vice without being judgmental about it? Okay, it does not have to be a bar, but what about an enclosed lounge? That would not impede upon the nonsmokers (just so long as they ensure that they walk as far away from the lounge door as possible, lest they get a blast of rank air if the door happens to open as they are passing by, but this is not so much to ask).

Anywhere, just my two cents. Now I'll stop being serious and get back to making pithy, crap stirring comments about peoples' hangups with this issue.

BTW, do you remember the old Commandor Cody song? What ever.

Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:55 pm
JS
Suspended

[B]What about all of the other people you affect....and help to kill?? I seriously doubt you clean your house and car after every cigarette...washing your hands after every one...I'll give you that. </font>
Good grief, I think you're overestimating just a little here.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You have the rings under the eyes yet?</font>
Nope.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">How about the wrinkled mouth area?</font>
Nope.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I hate booze breath as well...that's why I don't drink in public....I rarely ever drink at all. Only in my own home and even that is minimal..maybe a dozen beers a year.</font>
Sure about that? Do you recall writing the following:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I tend to have a few beers here and there</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I may have to go get a drink now</font>
You also admit going to bars. That is a sign of alcoholism. I strongly suggest counseling before you destroy your family, career and innocent motorists.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">No one is telling you what to do... that's your defense kicking in because you know what I say correct. If you smoke around me though...I won't hesitate to tell you what to do!! </font>
Why would I smoke around you? Unless you walk into a smoking lounge at an airport or sit in the smoking section at the local Waffle House, I think you're safe from my poisonous gases.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.