Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternatives to CO at CLE?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Alternatives to CO at CLE?

I知 considering jumping from CO to another FF program because I知 tired of their new EQM program. However, I am stuck at CLE, so I知 not sure what airline to chose.

For 2004 I was CO Gold. For 2005 I am only CO Silver. Had CO not changed the EQM program, I would have been CO Plat for 2005. Complicating all of this is the fact that my employer requires all tickets to be purchased through the corporate travel agency, AMEX. I even checked to see if AMEX could book for me online using CO痴 business travel manager, but our corporate contract requires them to use their own booking engine. So, while many of you have had a reprieve from the 50% EQM by booking at CO.com, I致e been getting the full kick in the a$$ from it.

I recently saw that Delta has eliminated the 50% EQM program and CO is the only one doing it. I figure it would be good to jump now and see if another FF program will match my 2004 Gold status for 2005.

I need the flexibility to travel anywhere in the US, with many options on flight times and minimal connections. Any suggestions for alternatives to CO at CLE?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:51 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Prepare to Connect

Captive at CLE and want to leave CO????

Prepare to connect:

AA and UA via ORD
DL via CVG and/or ATL
NW via MSP, MEM, and/or DTW

WN goes direct to a few places (BWI, STL, MDW).

Do you think the travel agent/your company is going to let you book non-CO flights from CLE (when that's usually the most direct option)?

We're all stuck here in the mud,,,,er,,,,,snow..
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
No alternatives. TRUST ME!

AA is all RJ's to CLE. I can't take a CRJ700 to DFW. The ORD terminal and connections are a mess you have to walk or RUN up and back up and back. Ever try connection from G the RJ's to H? NO FUN!

NW is just a 30 minute connect to DTW BUT have you flown NW, they are really bad. NO IFE domestically, bad food, OLD planes, uncomfotable seats (even on the new planes). MSP is usually out of the way and MEM is nice but no frequencies.

DL ATL is a HUGE mess. Connecting in ATL is a joke. You might have to move 4 concourses to get to your flight. CVG is a great airport BUT todays DL is a miss mosh of aircraft old and new.

UA is OK but they are turning to UX in CLE. A CRJ700 from CLE to DEN, no thanks! Even if they do have FC. ORD can be a nightmare!

I believe CO will stop the 50% EQM effective Jan 1st, perhaps not but CO is impossible to beat in CLE. The connection times alone of the others is not worth it!

I'll take UA as a number 2 but CO is just the best. Try the others and see for yourself.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:17 pm

I usually use NW as my alternative since I find the connect in DTW to be easiest, the frequencies are decent, and they are usually cost competitive. Plus, I usually always get upgrades on NW.

Yes, they have some really old equipment for a lot of their flights, but I have been happy on the west coast legs when the 757s and A320s pop up.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:19 pm
In Memoriam

Depending on where you live, CAK and AirTran
Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:00 pm

If you are not going to be getting elite perks, just pick the airline that is most convenient for where you are going. WN is a good bet for MDW, BWI, and cities they serve - though it may be a hassle to get Amex to book them. (When they did our travel, I had to pretty much find the flights myself, then they called southwest to book it through their system. Not a very pretty process) These days, WN service can often be better than major airlines. (A pack of cookies on a 737 for WN vs. peanuts on an RJ...)

You also might consider earning miles on Alaska. You can credit miles from Alaska, Northwest, Continental, Delta, and American. (alas, CO are not EQM) This does give some flexibility in picking the routings, and you can have some nice flights to SEA.

NW is nice, and the new DTW is a great airport. The extra connect could also add up to a lot more miles if you have time.

Heading west, UA is a good option. Though there could be a long walk in ORD. They are partners with US, so that could provide some options for east-bound connections with what little remains in PIT.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by L Dude 7
NW is nice, and the new DTW is a great airport. The extra connect could also add up to a lot more miles if you have time.
I agree...many more flights available out of DTW anyways

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.