Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1st Time using Lounge (HNL) please give me a clue!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st Time using Lounge (HNL) please give me a clue!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Question 1st Time using Lounge (HNL) please give me a clue!

I'll be flying HNL-EWR in a few days, and have a pass to use the Continental lounge at HNL. I've never used an airport lounge before, and would like to know what to expect. I appreciate any info and especially etiquette I should know.

I'll be at HNL around 4:30 pm for a 7:30 pm flight, so I would like to know if there is food available in the lounge, and if so is there a charge? Is it "dinner" food, or just snacks? I assume you can hear the boarding announcements in the lounge, but if I'm wrong please let me know. Also, if someone can tell me where the lounge is located in HNL, I would really appreciate it, since what I'm finding online is conflicting info about the location.

Please help me out here folks, I don't want to go in with no idea of what to expect (and what is expected of me), especially since I'll be alone! Thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by orangecamera
I'll be flying HNL-EWR in a few days, and have a pass to use the Continental lounge at HNL. I've never used an airport lounge before, and would like to know what to expect. I appreciate any info and especially etiquette I should know.

I'll be at HNL around 4:30 pm for a 7:30 pm flight, so I would like to know if there is food available in the lounge, and if so is there a charge? Is it "dinner" food, or just snacks? I assume you can hear the boarding announcements in the lounge, but if I'm wrong please let me know. Also, if someone can tell me where the lounge is located in HNL, I would really appreciate it, since what I'm finding online is conflicting info about the location.

Please help me out here folks, I don't want to go in with no idea of what to expect (and what is expected of me), especially since I'll be alone! Thank you.
the club is above gate nine. spacious and great views of the apron. i imagine you'll have a great view of the sunset too as the sun sets to the west and the club faces that way. there's no hot food options. when i was there last week, just snacks (pretzels, cheeses, fruits) and then a bar (idk what the charge is or isn't for alcohol). they rarely make boarding announcements so ensure you pay attention to the time.

others will post their experiences i'm sure.

enjoy your first experience in an airline lounge...
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: AA Exeutive Platinum; Marriott Platinum Premier
The old President's Club is closed. You'll use the legacy Red Carpet Club. Once you go through Security, hang a left and keep walking. When you get to the United gates, look for an escalator. Once you're on the next level, you'll find it. Watch out for the Dragon Lady who runs the place. She hates the Continental merger and she's absolutely rude to people with Continental boarding passes. Everyone else is nice as can be but she's absolutely nuts. I made the mistake of telling her that the Continental aircraft to Guam was nicer than the United replacement and she almost took my head off. If you aren't careful, you'll have to hear her complain for 20 minutes about how she doesn't want to switch to the Continental computer system. Other than that one unpleasant person, it's a nice club. There are light snacks and you can buy food at the bar. Beer and wine are included and drinks are cheap. You will probably have to walk to the old Continental gates for your flight, so give yourself a little time for that. They won't announce your flight. You can watch the monitors but it's highly unlikely you'll have a delay or gate change on that flight.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I was at the HNL PC 3 years ago and the staff was very nice. At that time they were with NW so I used to go back and forth between the PC and World Club sd they were almost next door.
From my experience in going to an Old RCC with a PC card, everyone has been very nice.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I don't know how I would have figured any of that out on my own, especially that the President's Club is closed. I really appreciate the info you've given, and look forward to (hopefully) more replies.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Thank you all for your replies. I don't know how I would have figured any of that out on my own, especially that the President's Club is closed. I really appreciate the info you've given, and look forward to (hopefully) more replies.
Enjoy an adult beverage or two, the basic ones are free, there should be a menu at the bar, there are some snacks, but no actual food except as mentioned for purchase.

Dont expect boarding announcements - pay attention to your departure time - especially if enjoying a few beverages
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bouttmk
Watch out for the Dragon Lady who runs the place. She hates the Continental merger and she's absolutely rude to people with Continental boarding passes. Everyone else is nice as can be but she's absolutely nuts. I made the mistake of telling her that the Continental aircraft to Guam was nicer than the United replacement and she almost took my head off. If you aren't careful, you'll have to hear her complain for 20 minutes about how she doesn't want to switch to the Continental computer system.
Gee, that sounds like some of the posters around here!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:53 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is not mentioned anywhere above, but to the lounge newbie, look for the United Club!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zip
This is not mentioned anywhere above, but to the lounge newbie, look for the United Club!
Is the Red Carpet Club mentioned by bouttmk the same thing as the United Club?

Also, what's the usual/typical/right amount to tip the bartender for a free drink?

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Exeutive Platinum; Marriott Platinum Premier
Is the Red Carpet Club mentioned by bouttmk the same thing as the United Club?

Also, what's the usual/typical/right amount to tip the bartender for a free drink?

Thanks everyone!
Yes, it is the old Red Carpet Club, rebranded United Club. If I order a beer, which I rarely do, I'll drop two or three dollars into the jar. I don't know if that's good or bad but it feels appropriate to me. It's a nice club and I'm sure the culture clash one employee is experiencing will eventually work itself out. I find it more amusing than annoying.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I tip $1 for every drink served to me in an airline club, whether it be a soft drink, beer, or a mixed drink. Consider that they might charge $6 for the beer if they were charging cash, $1 is just over 15%, which is about right.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by bouttmk
I'm sure the culture clash ... will eventually work itself out. I find it more amusing than annoying.
I hope the same thing happens around here. I find it to be not at all amusing and most annoying, to the point where it's not that fun to be around here any more.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Enjoy the Longboard beer and the sunset. If the escalator is not working there is another further down by gate 7
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Enjoy the Longboard beer and the sunset. If the escalator is not working there is another further down by gate 7
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Look at these links:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...amenities.aspx

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...s/default.aspx

scroll down to Honolulu
you will see 2 different clubs but in reality there is only one
I agree with you that it is confusing

I have never been treated rudely in HNL lounge or check in with UA or CO
It is not one of the top 10 lounges I have visited but it is very nice, pleasant and it sure beats hanging out in the waiting area.
I usually prefer to spend as much time as I can outdoors.
If you have never been to HNL airport, lots of the space is outdoors and there is no a/c - but who needs it

When you walk in ask for the t-mobile card to log on to wi-fi if you need it.
As far as etiquette: nothing special but please please please don't put your feet on the table with or without shoes. I hate when people do that. Also please please please we really don't want to know how was your vacation or what business deal you sealed so don't scream into your phone. And if you have kids please control them.
Common sense, right? you would think so but that is not always the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.