Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1st Time using Lounge (HNL) please give me a clue!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st Time using Lounge (HNL) please give me a clue!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bouttmk
Watch out for the Dragon Lady who runs the place. She hates the Continental merger and she's absolutely rude to people with Continental boarding passes. Everyone else is nice as can be but she's absolutely nuts.
I think most of the visitors to the HNL United Club know who you are referring to. She can be just as rude to card carrying RCC members as well. She was the subject of the only letter I have sent to United complaining about an employee.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I think most of the visitors to the HNL United Club know who you are referring to. She can be just as rude to card carrying RCC members as well. She was the subject of the only letter I have sent to United complaining about an employee.
I SURE know who we're talking about, and that woman has no business working in a customer service role. In fact, if she were loading bags onto the plane, that might still be too close to customers. On my last visit, I very, very nearly went back to the counter to ask for the station manager. I wonder if the lounge agents even report to their respective station managers or not. In any event, I did call the UC phone number and report her.

I keep hoping one of these days I'll see some of the former PC agents working in the UC, but no luck so far.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: United Gold
I'm outbound this Thursday from HNL, I'm going to try to see who you guys are talking about.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari
Look at these links:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...amenities.aspx

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...s/default.aspx

scroll down to Honolulu
you will see 2 different clubs but in reality there is only one
I agree with you that it is confusing

I have never been treated rudely in HNL lounge or check in with UA or CO
It is not one of the top 10 lounges I have visited but it is very nice, pleasant and it sure beats hanging out in the waiting area.
I usually prefer to spend as much time as I can outdoors.
If you have never been to HNL airport, lots of the space is outdoors and there is no a/c - but who needs it

When you walk in ask for the t-mobile card to log on to wi-fi if you need it.
As far as etiquette: nothing special but please please please don't put your feet on the table with or without shoes. I hate when people do that. Also please please please we really don't want to know how was your vacation or what business deal you sealed so don't scream into your phone. And if you have kids please control them.
Common sense, right? you would think so but that is not always the case.
Yikes! No, I'm not one of *those* people, and I'm as annoyed by them as you are! But thank you for posting the advice, since as you point out, common sense isn't all that common and hopefully someone else will avoid those transgressions after reading it. And thanks also for the tip about the wi-fi card.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I SURE know who we're talking about, and that woman has no business working in a customer service role. In fact, if she were loading bags onto the plane, that might still be too close to customers. On my last visit, I very, very nearly went back to the counter to ask for the station manager. I wonder if the lounge agents even report to their respective station managers or not. In any event, I did call the UC phone number and report her.

I keep hoping one of these days I'll see some of the former PC agents working in the UC, but no luck so far.
I tried getting a wifi card from her after CO joined * but before the merger. I had to pry it out of her hands. What a
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Steve M
I tip $1 for every drink served to me in an airline club, whether it be a soft drink, beer, or a mixed drink. Consider that they might charge $6 for the beer if they were charging cash, $1 is just over 15%, which is about right.
+1
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Let's hope "she" will have a day off the day I'm flying!

What exactly is the wi-fi card? Will it work/will I need it for use with an iPhone or only with a laptop? Thanks again everyone for your words of wisdom.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by orangecamera
What exactly is the wi-fi card? Will it work/will I need it for use with an iPhone or only with a laptop? Thanks again everyone for your words of wisdom.
It's like a credit card that has a scratch off number on the back. You enter that number on your device so that you can get internet access.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Yes; it works with the iPhone
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

UPDATE

Okay, well, I flew HNL-EWR overnight Monday night, and I had a chance to use the United Club. It was a very nice experience.

First of all, I arrived there by wheelchair, and there were 3 women at the front desk. The one who helped me was as nice as could be. No problem getting the wi-fi card from her. She asked the wheelchair-pusher to please request a return wheelchair for me so I could pre-board my flight in a few hours.

Wi-fi was easy, and there are a few (not many) electrical outlets, and I was able to keep my iphone battery full while using it before the long flight.

Food at the United Club was better than I was expecting. There were individually wrapped packages of cheese, small packets of baby carrots, and small packages of crackers. There were also small tubs of ranch dressing, I guess to use as a dip for the carrots. If you're hoping for fresh fruit (what was I thinking?!), you're out of luck. What they had were individual packs of Dole fruit (pears, IIRC). There were also 3 containers with munchies where you help yourself into provided plastic cups - one looked like yogurt-covered raisins, one was a pretzel-snack mix, and one was a mix of dried fruits, nuts, seeds, and chocolate candies.

There was a selection of juices, regular and decaf coffee, hot water for tea and cocoa, and ice water. A decent selection of teabags (I chose a white tea with orange and spices to make iced tea). I used my water bottle and put in two teabags and about an inch of hot water. After steeping, I removed the teabags, got my bottle filled with ice at the bar (nice bartenders), and then filled it the rest of the way with cold water. Very tasty

I did have a free glass of wine (and yes, I tipped $1). Unfortunately, I didn't notice until it was too late that there are a lot of other complimentary choices to be had. There's a list on the bar, so take a look before ordering! I would have had Bailey's if I had seen the list early enough - but one drink is enough for me. Also beware that not all wines are complimentary, so check the list or ask the bartender first.

As one poster pointed out, the lounge does face west and I was able to watch the sun set one last time on Oahu. (Bittersweet, no?)

By that time, I was expecting the wheelchair, which hadn't come so I went to check. The same woman helped me by calling for a wheelchair, and was told "it's on it's way". 10 minutes later, I told her I was going to just start walking - which is actually impossible for me - and she said she'd check one more time, and if necessary *she* would push me to the gate. Luckily (for her!) the guy with the wheelchair was just outside the door and was able to get me to the gate while pre-boarding was still in progress. So kudos to the woman at the desk at the United Club who would have gone above-and-beyond for me.

I can confirm that Continental Flight 14 left from Gate 12, and it's a LONG way, so give yourself plenty of time to get there to board your flight.

Thank you all for giving me the info I needed to feel comfortable in the club. I hope my added info will help someone in future.

love_to_travel, please come back and tell us about YOUR experience!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I've read the reports, but I still don't know who you are talking about. After several visits to the HNL RCC, I've never encountered any rude employees. I suppose one could say that she was working a different shift each time I visited, but I stop by after the 9am from SFO lands, and before the red-eye to the mainland departs.. They've always been friendly and more than willing to assist with anything I need done.

my 2¢
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I've read the reports, but I still don't know who you are talking about. After several visits to the HNL RCC, I've never encountered any rude employees. I suppose one could say that she was working a different shift each time I visited, but I stop by after the 9am from SFO lands, and before the red-eye to the mainland departs.. They've always been friendly and more than willing to assist with anything I need done.

my 2¢
I typically encounter her when taking the 1:00ish flight back to the west coast.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by orangecamera
Okay, well, I flew HNL-EWR overnight Monday night, and I had a chance to use the United Club. It was a very nice experience.

First of all, I arrived there by wheelchair, and there were 3 women at the front desk. The one who helped me was as nice as could be. No problem getting the wi-fi card from her. She asked the wheelchair-pusher to please request a return wheelchair for me so I could pre-board my flight in a few hours.

Wi-fi was easy, and there are a few (not many) electrical outlets, and I was able to keep my iphone battery full while using it before the long flight.

Food at the United Club was better than I was expecting. There were individually wrapped packages of cheese, small packets of baby carrots, and small packages of crackers. There were also small tubs of ranch dressing, I guess to use as a dip for the carrots. If you're hoping for fresh fruit (what was I thinking?!), you're out of luck. What they had were individual packs of Dole fruit (pears, IIRC). There were also 3 containers with munchies where you help yourself into provided plastic cups - one looked like yogurt-covered raisins, one was a pretzel-snack mix, and one was a mix of dried fruits, nuts, seeds, and chocolate candies.

There was a selection of juices, regular and decaf coffee, hot water for tea and cocoa, and ice water. A decent selection of teabags (I chose a white tea with orange and spices to make iced tea). I used my water bottle and put in two teabags and about an inch of hot water. After steeping, I removed the teabags, got my bottle filled with ice at the bar (nice bartenders), and then filled it the rest of the way with cold water. Very tasty

I did have a free glass of wine (and yes, I tipped $1). Unfortunately, I didn't notice until it was too late that there are a lot of other complimentary choices to be had. There's a list on the bar, so take a look before ordering! I would have had Bailey's if I had seen the list early enough - but one drink is enough for me. Also beware that not all wines are complimentary, so check the list or ask the bartender first.

As one poster pointed out, the lounge does face west and I was able to watch the sun set one last time on Oahu. (Bittersweet, no?)

By that time, I was expecting the wheelchair, which hadn't come so I went to check. The same woman helped me by calling for a wheelchair, and was told "it's on it's way". 10 minutes later, I told her I was going to just start walking - which is actually impossible for me - and she said she'd check one more time, and if necessary *she* would push me to the gate. Luckily (for her!) the guy with the wheelchair was just outside the door and was able to get me to the gate while pre-boarding was still in progress. So kudos to the woman at the desk at the United Club who would have gone above-and-beyond for me.

I can confirm that Continental Flight 14 left from Gate 12, and it's a LONG way, so give yourself plenty of time to get there to board your flight.

Thank you all for giving me the info I needed to feel comfortable in the club. I hope my added info will help someone in future.

love_to_travel, please come back and tell us about YOUR experience!
Good report, I'm happy for you that all went well and it was a pleasant experience. Good thing that your wheelchair turned up in time, that sounds like the only glitch. I enjoyed reading your experience.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Good report, I'm happy for you that all went well and it was a pleasant experience. Good thing that your wheelchair turned up in time, that sounds like the only glitch. I enjoyed reading your experience.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, the wheelchair was the only glitch...well, that and the fact that I wound up in NJ Hopefully I'll have another chance to go to Hawaii again!

One little detail I forgot to mention. I found it odd that there was no hand sanitizer (at least that I could find) in the Lounge, since there are finger foods. I typically carry my own in my purse, but it became misplaced during the security screening, and I didn't find it again until I was home! (Apparently the wheelchair-pusher who was with me at security put my "quart-sized ziplock baggie of doom" into my carry-on while I was being tested to make sure there wasn't anything dangerous in my leg brace!)

BTW, I have to go through the special screening at all airports because I cannot remove my shoe and brace. All the TSA agents I encountered (EWR, HNL and LIH) were pleasant and polite.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I'm disappointed that local food and drink is long gone.

At least the view is nice.

Thanks for the review. It makes me homesick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.