Wiki Posts
Search

CO 737-800 seat back TVs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

CO 737-800 seat back TVs?

Hello,
I'm considering flying ORD-LAX-ITO on CO 737-800 for 3/4 of the legs. Do the 737s on these routes typically have seat back TVs?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
The flight status page on continental.com or mobile.united.com shows the IFE installed on the specific aircraft operating your flight. For LAX-ITO you'll be limited to about 8 channels of looped movies / TV shows as it's outside the coverage area of DirecTV.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I was mostly trying to avoid overhead monitors on old UA equipment. I really appreciate that tip!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM+ - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
The flight status page on continental.com or mobile.united.com shows the IFE installed on the specific aircraft operating your flight. For LAX-ITO you'll be limited to about 8 channels of looped movies / TV shows as it's outside the coverage area of DirecTV.
There are a few PMCO birds flying that do not have the DTV installation. per link below, there are like 30 737-8 and 2 737-9 planes out there. Remember that 737-500's would not get DTV. You should be in the clear as the LAX-ITO would not be a 500.
http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...eetStatus.aspx

You will now definitively know if you will have DTV until you can get it on flight status. Even then you are subject to swaps. I have been on a few recent flights where I was supposed to be on DTV flight but got a swap to non-DTV. It does happen.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chammon1
Hello,
I'm considering flying ORD-LAX-ITO on CO 737-800 for 3/4 of the legs. Do the 737s on these routes typically have seat back TVs?
Yes, most typically do. However, that does tend to change because about 30 737-800's do not have direct tv as they have not had it installed. Also, when flying on the LAX-ITO route, there will not be live tv because you will be about 200 miles of the continental USA. However,k they show prerecorded shows and movies.

Two days prior to your flight you can use the UA app or continental.com to check to see what type of entertainment on your flight. This will igve you a heads up if you need to go to the book store!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:09 pm

Thanks! I was mostly trying to avoid overhead monitors on old UA equipment. I really appreciate that tip!
Also, these monitors are fairly new compared to UA's 752 and Airbus equipment
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:17 pm

None of the 738s with the drop down screens are flown on the mainland-Hawaii flights, all are with the DTV 738s, or the IFEless ones.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
It's not the "No DTV" ones that are annoying. Just did SEA-EWR on a 737 with nothing. No audio, no TV...

"We're going to do this flight the old fashioned way, read a book or meet your neighbor"

Boy was some lady in F mad. Nice Boeing sky interior though.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bentruler
It's not the "No DTV" ones that are annoying. Just did SEA-EWR on a 737 with nothing. No audio, no TV...

"We're going to do this flight the old fashioned way, read a book or meet your neighbor"

Boy was some lady in F mad. Nice Boeing sky interior though.
Ironically, those are the newest 737's in the fleet. They have no IFE, because CO's seat vendor, Koito of Japan, was barred from providing seats by the FAA after a seat flammability document forgery scandal.

In order for the planes to be delivered, they were installed with "temporary" interiors, and since the IFE is in the seats, there is no IFE.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
None of the 738s with the drop down screens are flown on the mainland-Hawaii flights, all are with the DTV 738s, or the IFEless ones.
Is this because the 738s w/ drop down screens aren't ETOPS? I thought all of CO's 737s were ETOPS rated...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by United757
Is this because the 738s w/ drop down screens aren't ETOPS? I thought all of CO's 737s were ETOPS rated...
All of CO 737s with the exception of -500s are ETOPS rated. The Mid-Cabin lav ships are normally used on trans-cons and mid-con trips throw in a few short trips as well.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
All of CO 737s with the exception of -500s are ETOPS rated. The Mid-Cabin lav ships are normally used on trans-cons and mid-con trips throw in a few short trips as well.
FWIW they are all slated to have the mid-cabin lav removed at the same time as they are fitted with a smaller F cabin and DTV to line up with the rest of the 738 fleet.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Is it $6 for any in-flight entertainment or just for DirecTV? If I choose not to pay will I be able to watch movies still?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:25 pm

$7.99 for flight over two hours, and no you can not watch movies without playing.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Is it $6 for any in-flight entertainment or just for DirecTV? If I choose not to pay will I be able to watch movies still?
The fee ($6 or $8, depending on how long your flight is) turns on the screens.

So it's all or nothing.

If you're on a flight flying outside the U.S. mainland, the fee will just get you the pre-recorded on-board content.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.