Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Plat. Not on Upgrade list w/ Reward Ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Platinum Elite, Marriott Rewards Gold, National Executive Elite

Hey guys, I've been Platinum now for 3 years and it's my first time redeeming my miles for a flight (for myself). Flying tomorrow, IAH-MIA, already received an upgrade for my return leg on Monday, but when I check the list for the flight tomorrow, I don't even show up. Is this 'cuz I'm flying on a reward ticket?

I'm also a Presidential Plus card holder and that is the card I used to pay the $5 taxes/fees for the ticket.

Any insight?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...nt-merged.html

above is on going thread about this feature of the PPlus + OPPlus cards. embedded in the latter portion of it is discussion of an apparent glitch where if the flight is booked on an XN reward fare, you won't be included on EUA sweeps.

you might be able to contact the elite desk even at this point to get the fare class switched to X, a fare which seems to work.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Platinum Elite, Marriott Rewards Gold, National Executive Elite
according to my reservation..it shows fare class as "X"...I just got off the line with the elite desk, they say that I do show up on the upgrade list on their side, which I find strange that they see a different upgrade list than is publicly available...but oh well, we shall see tomorrow, I'll go early and stop into the President's...ehem UNITED Club
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by andremcintosh
according to my reservation..it shows fare class as "X"...I just got off the line with the elite desk, they say that I do show up on the upgrade list on their side, which I find strange that they see a different upgrade list than is publicly available...but oh well, we shall see tomorrow, I'll go early and stop into the President's...ehem UNITED Club

That was a great way to get you off the phone. The phone agents don't see an upgrade list as far as I know.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by andremcintosh
All I can say is "I hope you have the luck of the Irish with you"
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Upgrades for Pres Plus CC holders on award tickets are totally hit or miss.
You will get different answers from the CSR on the elite lines as well as when you check in.
The bottom line if your name does not appear on the list 24 hours out you are NOT on the list regardless of what they say.
The lady during check in tried to tell me she can see my name on the list but I could not see myself. Went into the United Club in SFO and a CO agent could not figure it out; kept telling me I cannot be upgraded on an award ticket; I kept insisting and he called somebody and figured out how to do it;
I heard from 2 different people that day that either way the flight is full and I kept saying it is the principle that counts: I want my name on the list.
As soon as he fixed it, my name showed up immediately on the list.
Go figure out: both flights are full but I was upgraded on one of the flights. somebody did not show up.

Inability to easily go on the list for award upgrades and the loss in value of flexible miles (cannot get to the top tier like we used to) makes the card so much less valuable anyway. This is my last year with the card. Will try the Chase Sapphire - heard great things about it.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by keisari
As soon as he fixed it, my name showed up immediately on the list.
Go figure out: both flights are full but I was upgraded on one of the flights. somebody did not show up.
How did he fix it? I have a flight tomorrow am but I don't see my name on the list and I am in X first leg and XN next leg. Flight is booked 14 out of 16. Agent says that upgrade list is broken but assured me that I will be eligible and probably will get it as #2 is Gold.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TXbizman
How did he fix it? I have a flight tomorrow am but I don't see my name on the list and I am in X first leg and XN next leg. Flight is booked 14 out of 16. Agent says that upgrade list is broken but assured me that I will be eligible and probably will get it as #2 is Gold.
I would not take their word for it.
If you don't see your name on the list at T-24 you are NOT on the list
I don't know who he called.
He said he was calling his support desk
Took them 5 minutes to fix it
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by keisari
I would not take their word for it.
If you don't see your name on the list at T-24 you are NOT on the list
I don't know who he called.
He said he was calling his support desk
Took them 5 minutes to fix it
Reading some post here and talking with other FTers, it looks like it is not working as advertised.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by TXbizman
Reading some post here and talking with other FTers, it looks like it is not working as advertised.
It works ... sometimes. Personally, I've had zero luck (and I've seen silver companions upgraded before me on reward tix). I've spent several hours (6+ combined) educating call centers, supervisors, gate agents, etc on the fact that this benefit exists with no results (or just "I'm sorry -- I know you should be getting this upgrade but there's nothing I can do" excuse).

I've decided to devote my time in the United Club drinking beers instead -- much more relaxing and satisfying.

With all the back-end changes to SHARES, i'm sure it's broken again and I doubt they would devote resources in fixing it until after March 3rd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.