Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

$300 to upgrade to BusinessFirst IAH-HNL. worth the $$?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)

I was checking in for my flight and was offered the $300 upgrade on IAH-HNL on 764 with 35 / 200 seating. I've not flown CO much, but I've been trying to research flyertalk and the rest of the web about the service and experience in BusinessFirst on this flight and what little info I get is mixed.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
IAH-HNL is 3904 miles o/w. Without E+, that would be a fairly uncomfortable ride. Personally, I'd go with the upgrade, if you've got the $300 laying around. Or you could use it for fun stuff in HNL..
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Yes

Yes do it.

I think the $300 upgrades are offered only 24 hours before the flight and only on these BF Hawaii flights from EWR and IAH to HNL. This is a big discount from the normal (miles + copay) amount.

The service is comparable to an international business class service so it is better than domestic F.

If I got the offer, I would take it.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
In a heartbeat for a flight of that length.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$300 would feed a lot of children in India (where I am right now). Just sayin'.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
absolutely take that upgrade. Had a similar offer in summer 2010. Makes the trip a lot more fun!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
$300 would feed a lot of children in India (where I am right now). Just sayin'.
I imagine your ticket to India cost a little more than $300. It's all relative.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ctroadwarrior
Yes do it.

I think the $300 upgrades are offered only 24 hours before the flight and only on these BF Hawaii flights from EWR and IAH to HNL. This is a big discount from the normal (miles + copay) amount.

The service is comparable to an international business class service so it is better than domestic F.

If I got the offer, I would take it.
It's old BF, not the new lie-flat BF, right?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: United Gold
I've been lucky enough to use the REVUP program 11 out of the last 12 EWR-HNL flights I've taken, and I think it's worth it every time. IAH-HNL is shorter but I would still think it's worth it, especially if it is plane #60, which recently got the flat-bed seats installed and has already flown the route.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
It's old BF, not the new lie-flat BF, right?
Yes (though on the 35 seat config there is a very slim chance that you'll get the 1 converted plane).
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Take it. I flew that route just over a year ago in BF and it was much more pleasurable than riding in "the back of the bus". Even though it is a watered down product it is still much, much better than the alternative. $300 is a steal.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Value

Value is personal. I wouldn't hesitate if I were stuck in steerage on a long-haul, which I wouldn't do in the first place. But, to be frank, if I couldn't afford it, I either wouldn't travel or would tough it out in Y. So, all depends on what $300 means to you.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by wfdude
I was checking in for my flight and was offered the $300 upgrade on IAH-HNL on 764 with 35 / 200 seating. I've not flown CO much, but I've been trying to research flyertalk and the rest of the web about the service and experience in BusinessFirst on this flight and what little info I get is mixed.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
What was the fare class of your purchased ticket? I'm going to making a similar reservation in the next month or so, and for a family of 4 I would take $1200 in upgrade fees to save the 160K miles.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skimple
What was the fare class of your purchased ticket?
Fare paid does not matter when it comes to the REVUP program. The fee to upgrade is fixed based on the day of the week, city pair and direction of travel. It is a great deal when it is available but you are taking the risk that it will sell out in advance, at which point you are stuck in your coach seat.

The fee schedule is buried in a thread somewhere here and also here.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:44 am

Well worth it in my opinion, but all of our budgets differ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.