Wiki Posts
Search

Restrictions for carry on items on CO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat
Restrictions for carry on items on CO

We are flying to Florida this week and driving back to NJ/NYC (ERJ - blah). Our car is currently in FL but our GPS/Sirius etc is all with us up North.

Does Continental allowed one to take a Sirius Receiver, Antennae, GPS etc in Carry On Baggage? It could a long ride without them
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
We are flying to Florida this week and driving back to NJ/NYC (ERJ - blah). Our car is currently in FL but our GPS/Sirius etc is all with us up North.

Does Continental allowed one to take a Sirius Receiver, Antennae, GPS etc in Carry On Baggage? It could a long ride without them
It's not a CO decision as long as you leave the items turned off. It's a TSA decision. i can't think of why they would tell you your items were not acceptable. CO, by the way, allows the use of GPS receivers n-board.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

ERJ? As long as they're off, shouldn't be a problem. You can bring a cell phone on board which, depending on make/model, has some/nearly/all those capabilities.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joshwex90
ERJ?
EWR-JAX is an ERJ route. I think that is the only one currently.

And CO will have no idea that you have that stuff in your bag.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
EWR-JAX is an ERJ route. I think that is the only one currently.
Right, but the OP only mentioned the ERJ for the return, yet is driving and not flying back.

OP, are you checking luggage? If yes, and you're worried about anything in your carry-on, why not stick it in your checked bags?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I take a portable GPS on every trip and keep it in my carryon bag. I take the battery out when traveling, as it seems to draw a small charge when off and runs the battery down. I don't take it out of the bag (like my laptop) when going through security and I've never been asked about it. On the ERJ-145's, you'll gate check the bag. If it's one of those secret routes that have the UAEX ERJ-170 (can't find them on CO - have to check the UA site), you can take your bag on the plane, as it has decent overhead storage.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat
Thanks to everyone for the help - it know its a random question!

We are not checking any luggage as hopefully the trip home will only take about 18 hours or so (with a night at a hotel in mid-way back)

It should be interesting to pack all of the items and an EZ-Pass!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joshwex90
why not stick it in your checked bags?
Absolutely horrible idea. Small, portable electronic devices in checked bags are targets for "disappearing" and the customer has zero recourse from the airline. BAD IDEA!
We are not checking any luggage as hopefully the trip home will only take about 18 hours or so (with a night at a hotel in mid-way back)
Drive faster.

Assuming JAX (based on the ERJ) it shouldn't take that long to drive to the EWR area.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have taken a GPS in my carry-on several times on CO. No one has ever questioned it (and because I carry a huge camera, my carry-on gets hand checked often).

Don't put it in your checked bag.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
No problem with GPS or other stuff

I travel back and forth from EWR to FLL or PBI monthly ... and have never had a problem with Garmin GPS or SkyCaddy (golf distance device) or VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) adapters or any other electronic devices. I always ... always ... put these devices in my carry on, given that ... IMHO ... EWR is the #1 airport for employee theft from checked luggage.

Incidentally, although it varies from airline to airline ... and, in fact. from flight to flight ... just for fun, I sometimes turn on the Garmin GPS at altitude on cross country flights, setting it on "moving map" and zooming out (wide view). I have to hold the device against the window ... but it is fascinating to watch the towns and cities go by so quickly. The Garmin has a feature that shows the fastest speed achieved (which can be reset to zero from time to time). I have not reset the device for the last year ... because I can amaze friends and families by showing them my fastest speed was 645 mph (LAX to EWR with a tailwind). They all want to know what kind of automobile I'm driving!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Drive faster.

Assuming JAX (based on the ERJ) it shouldn't take that long to drive to the EWR area.
That all depends on when the OP starts driving. If he wants to start in the afternoon, then he will still need a stopover
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:30 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by N9MD
I travel back and forth from EWR to FLL or PBI monthly ... and have never had a problem with Garmin GPS or SkyCaddy (golf distance device) or VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) adapters or any other electronic devices. I always ... always ... put these devices in my carry on, given that ... IMHO ... EWR is the #1 airport for employee theft from checked luggage.

Incidentally, although it varies from airline to airline ... and, in fact. from flight to flight ... just for fun, I sometimes turn on the Garmin GPS at altitude on cross country flights, setting it on "moving map" and zooming out (wide view). I have to hold the device against the window ... but it is fascinating to watch the towns and cities go by so quickly. The Garmin has a feature that shows the fastest speed achieved (which can be reset to zero from time to time). I have not reset the device for the last year ... because I can amaze friends and families by showing them my fastest speed was 645 mph (LAX to EWR with a tailwind). They all want to know what kind of automobile I'm driving!
What plane was it on? Too bad the Concorde is no longer available, or that would be amazing.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.