Wiki Posts
Search

"Offloaded" and lose exit row seat

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
"Offloaded" and lose exit row seat

Completed a flight from dus-lhr-iah-lax yesterday. DUS-LHR operated by LH. Checked in at DUS ok. Got my boarding passes all the way to LA from the LH agent. Booked the tickets 6 months ago and got an exit row seat. When boarding at LHR, they pulled me aside and said that LH had "offloaded" me when I checked in. I am not sure what this means since the LH agent issued all my boarding passes. The CO agent rebooked me at LHR on the full flight. As a result, I loss my exit row seat and was stuck in a middle seat (with the broken AVOD) for 11 hours.

Am I entitled to any compensation/mileage? I called Customer Care and they said they will "file a complaint".

Besides the disappointment, also want to make sure that this doesn't happen in the future because I fly this route quite a bit and always include LH to LHR or FRA.

thanks in advance for feedback
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would have stood firm with the BPs I had from LH.

Had this happen once when UA printed out my BPs for an onward CO flight. Put all four of us in middle seats throughout the plane.

I called and "raised hell" with the Elite desk, and they reversed it. THough I guess in your case, your BPs showed the right tix?

I would've insisted to sit in that seat, and move out the pax who got it after you.

thanks in advance for feedback
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If LH checked you in, you're checked in. It doesn't sound right that LH would offload you unless you were late and they were planning on rebooking you.

Remember that one aspect of the Toyota-like culture at CO is a near-inability to admit a mistake. So I wouldn't necessarily believe them blaming LH. LH makes for an easy scapegoat.

And from what we have learned about GA access to SHARES, it doesn't seem that they have access to a lot of history, so this stuff isn't easily researched by CO airport staff anyway.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Advance seat assignment requests are requests, I wouldn't expect anything for that.
Broken IFE might get you 1000 miles or something.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Advance seat assignment requests are requests, I wouldn't expect anything for that.
Broken IFE might get you 1000 miles or something.
They are a lot more than "requests" - this simply should not happen. I would not have flown.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjque
They are a lot more than "requests" - this simply should not happen. I would not have flown.
Nope, they are requests. Some carriers do better job COmmunicating this; Cathay's website calls it the "Advance Seat Request Service."
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Nope, they are requests. Some carriers do better job COmmunicating this; Cathay's website calls it the "Advance Seat Request Service."
but when you have a boarding pass with your seat assigned, i think at that point it is no longer a request.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
but when you have a boarding pass with your seat assigned, i think at that point it is no longer a request.
BP in hand means nothing. If they need to move people for W&B or any other reason your request goes right out the window.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
BP in hand means nothing. If they need to move people for W&B or any other reason your request goes right out the window.
They're not requests, they're seat assignments.

While you're correct that they have the right to move people around for operational reasons, there should be a reason for the move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.