Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO new 737s

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:33 am
Original Poster

CO new 737s

I live in Seattle and ride my bike around Lake Washington regularly, passing by the Boeing 737 plant. There are currently 3 new CO 737s being finished on the tarmac, among about a dozen others. All of the other airlines' planes have winglets; the CO planes do not. Why would CO not spend a bit more and get that fuel efficiency now when most others do. Lots of airlines retrofit the wings later to get the savings, at a greater cost in $ and downtime. Explanation?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by shortamile
I live in Seattle and ride my bike around Lake Washington regularly, passing by the Boeing 737 plant. There are currently 3 new CO 737s being finished on the tarmac, among about a dozen others. All of the other airlines' planes have winglets; the CO planes do not. Why would CO not spend a bit more and get that fuel efficiency now when most others do. Lots of airlines retrofit the wings later to get the savings, at a greater cost in $ and downtime. Explanation?
All CO 737NGs have winglets. Maybe they are installed at a different point in the production line, or at another facility?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
CO fits winglets at its own facility located at MCO. The 737s will likely be flown directly to MCO for induction.

The aircraft are presently held up at BFI due to certification issues with the Koito passenger seats. Once the necessary repairs are carried out, the airplanes will enter service, and probably kill off the 737-300s once and for all.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by star_world
All CO 737NGs have winglets....
Actually, ALL of the 737s have winglets.....with the exception of possibly a single -300. Some of the -300s received them with the fuel tank mod, and others did not get them. I believe there are possibly two -300s remaining: Ship number 318 and 336. 336 has the winglets ( I only know this useless piece of trivia because I flew it this past week up to DTW). All the -500s have them as well.

I'm not sure where the winglets are installed for the fleet. I've seen pics of some of the delivery aircraft over at Boeing Field and don't recall if they had them on at that point. I have heard in the past there were backlogs waiting for the winglets and they were in short supply. Not sure if that is still the case, but since we aren't taking delivery of those eight new -800s until 2nd Quarter, perhaps they won't receive their winglet kits until closer to delivery date.

DRW
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by doobierw
Actually, ALL of the 737s have winglets.....with the exception of possibly a single -300. Some of the -300s received them with the fuel tank mod, and others did not get them. I believe there are possibly two -300s remaining: Ship number 318 and 336. 336 has the winglets ( I only know this useless piece of trivia because I flew it this past week up to DTW). All the -500s have them as well.

I'm not sure where the winglets are installed for the fleet. I've seen pics of some of the delivery aircraft over at Boeing Field and don't recall if they had them on at that point. I have heard in the past there were backlogs waiting for the winglets and they were in short supply. Not sure if that is still the case, but since we aren't taking delivery of those eight new -800s until 2nd Quarter, perhaps they won't receive their winglet kits until closer to delivery date.

DRW
Thanks I was about to write that but then I realised I wasn't sure if all of the 735s had been completed or not.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764
CO fits winglets at its own facility located at MCO. The 737s will likely be flown directly to MCO for induction.
They'll also get the LiveTV fitting in MCO at the same time.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I think 767 production has ended (may be old news??) . At least I heard they arent making any more engines for them any new more.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by chasbondy
I think 767 production has ended (may be old news??) . At least I heard they arent making any more engines for them any new more.
OT, but 767 production continues. Boeing is actually bidding the airframe as the new USAF tanker. If USAF goes with the Boeing bid, the 767 will remain in production for years to come.

The 757 is the one that's out of production. More importantly, you can't even buy a 757 t-shirt or hat from the Boeing store.

DRW
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
(I only know this useless piece of trivia because I flew it this past week up to DTW).

DRW
Sounds like I only missed you by a little bit. I flew on #336 last week IAH-SJC after it had come in from DTW off a RON.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm not sure what the OP saw, but when I was recently at the Boeing facility in Renton all the aircraft on the assembly line had winglets. In fact, there was an old WN wingtip mounted to a board that had been presented to Boeing with a note that said something like, "Thanks to the new winglets, we won't be needing this any more."
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
OT, but 767 production continues. Boeing is actually bidding the airframe as the new USAF tanker. If USAF goes with the Boeing bid, the 767 will remain in production for years to come.

The 757 is the one that's out of production. More importantly, you can't even buy a 757 t-shirt or hat from the Boeing store.

DRW
Which is a shame. The 752 is my favorite bird...
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
ahh so that's the answer.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Mackieman
Which is a shame. The 752 is my favorite bird...
It has been out of production for around five or six years now. Gordon Bethune was still CO's CEO when it happened, and CO converted the last of its 753 orders to 737s so that Boeing could go ahead and shut down the line.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ssullivan
It has been out of production for around five or six years now. Gordon Bethune was still CO's CEO when it happened, and CO converted the last of its 753 orders to 737s so that Boeing could go ahead and shut down the line.
I wonder how many 757's are mothballed in the desert right now....
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
I wonder how many 757's are mothballed in the desert right now....
Very, very few. CO would only take them with the RR engines and I do not believe there are any of those not in service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.