Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pic of CO 737-700 with small piece of the wing missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pic of CO 737-700 with small piece of the wing missing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi NYPDLieu, the part you're referring to is called an "Outboard Aft Flap" and is used to augment lift during take off and landing. The condition noted in your photos is actually an FAA-approved field repair that trims the end as noticed in the pictures. It's not too commonly used, but to be clear, there's nothing to be alarmed about when you see this.
Interesting. The clean cut and the shape had me a little stumped. The piece looks solid, not hollow. Wonder if it's a solid lightweight composite or if hollow, the cut was filled with something.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:29 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I would repeat the Uranus joke but I see that Scott's watching...
Scotty actually DID repair it, using transparent aluminum.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
CO insider,

Thanks for the info. Friend of mine says the part in question is an inboard trailing edge double slotted flap. Possible he is correct?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Poor Scott

First it was DirecTV catching on fire, now flying with broken wings. On the plus side, we've gone 48+ hours without anyone reporting 'Shenanigans!'tm
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
On second thought, William Shatner would have scored an upgrade to F, and would not have seen the damaged flap.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:21 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Gamecock
A friend of mine just retired from the US Air Force and that's his opinion. he said you can slam Boeings into the ground pretty hard and they do just fine. His opionin of Airbus planes is pretty low, FWIW
PLEASE let this discussion rest!

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi NYPDLieu, the part you're referring to is called an "Outboard Aft Flap" and is used to augment lift during take off and landing. The condition noted in your photos is actually an FAA-approved field repair that trims the end as noticed in the pictures. It's not too commonly used, but to be clear, there's nothing to be alarmed about when you see this.
Oh man, I am still not used to see an official airline rep proactively engaging issues here. Slowly please, I am from the Dl boards
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I had a similar incident on one of my flights earlier in the year. i also took a pic, and showed it to the captain when we landed

http://gallery.me.com/cheekyjeremy#1...&bgcolor=black
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
CO insider,

Thanks for the info. Friend of mine says the part in question is an inboard trailing edge double slotted flap. Possible he is correct?
Actually, 737's have triple slotted flaps which you can see here

I don't think 737's have inboard flaps, just the one set.

CO_Nonrev_elite's picture from the post above is a good example of inboard and outboard flaps but I think that's a 757.
http://gallery.me.com/cheekyjeremy#1...&bgcolor=black

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.