Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone remember the 747s?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by aviators99
I rode jumpseat in a PE 747 going into Newark once, and they were "forced" to land on runway 29 by ATC. The crew was scared to death. It was an unpleasant experience to say the least.
I landed on that runway earlier this year on a 777.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I never cared much for Peoples' Express (or Peoples' Distress), much as I don't care for WN ... but CO did inherit some 747s from them (and I think possibly Eastern as well?)

Flew the 747 a few times; I remember HNL. Back then, I liked the 747.

But the 777 is far preferable, especially in its current configurations.

I do miss the DC-10s ... hated the planes but loved the "pub flights" which made the transcontinental trips fun.

They ain't fun no more.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:59 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I landed on that runway earlier this year on a 777.
I did it on a DC-10 in the mid-90s, coming from FRA. Major braking action - it wasn't fun then either...
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:18 am

Programs: VX Gold; UA Silver (BLAH!); HHonors Diamond
I have experienced 5 trips in CO 747's:

EWR-LGW (1987) -- Sat in the nose section; don't recall the seats being anything more special than standard domestic Y seats. The plane was in a modified PEOPLExpress livery - has the PE cheatlines, with the red meatball logo on the tail. I don't recall any special amenities on the aircraft itself. At departure time, it was one of those Newark summer muggy rainy days... thick humidity, warm temperatures, they had the aircraft A/C going on full blast. Of course this turned into a mechanical delay as the air conditioning units above my parents head (think row 3 on the right hand side) started to pour water from condensation. They practically ripped out the overhead compartment to verify this. They made my parents sit further back (not sure if it was BC or coach) for take off and landing. I remember a first class toiletries kit and most of what was in it, the headphones were these terrible red tubing kind (e.g. not electronic). Don't recall the food other than we were fed dinner and breakfast. We left from Terminal B - I believe from Satellite B1, but it could have been B2 (prior to the intl arrivals modification)

LGW-EWR (Return trip) -- this one must have been more uneventful since I don't recall a whole lot about it. I believe this one was painted in full CO meatball colors, but had PEOPLExpress food carts. Arrival was in Terminal C's original Intl' arrivals configuration -- before Term C was open for domestic flights -- It had two intl gates where C3 now is (roughly what used to be the old Continental Express waiting room).

EWR-SEA (1990) -- I think this was part of a EWR-SEA-NRT route that merited this equipment, and I think shortly after CO stopped the SEA-NRT portion and downgraded the equipment to Airbus A-300s for the domestic portion. I remember sitting in coach, right side. The flight was comfortable enough, but otherwise uneventful. The 747 was painted in full meatball splendor.

EWR-LGW (1992) -- The outbound flight was more or less uneventful. We flew coach, but I don't recall much more other than the weather on landing as being low ceilings with rain. I believe this was also a meatball flight.

LGW-EWR (1992) -- I remember this one clearly being a new logo CO jet (current livery). I remember this one well since it was my first solo -- yeah my parents ditched me and got to enjoy Scotland without me... =( . We had a 2 hour delay as there was something terribly wrong with Engine #1 or #2 (Left side - don't recall if it was the outboard or inboard one). Once we got going the flight was smooth. Beautiful New England fall colors on arrival.

That being said - 2/5 flights had what officially resulted in maintenance delays. But the flights were pretty comfortable, granted I still was growing at the time.

I've been on no-one else's 747 before or since. Actually this week marks the 15 year anniversary of my last 747 flight
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:24 pm

In 1987 CO inherited 10 or 11 "Whales" from PeoplExpress.AC#'s 601-610.They bought a hangar queen from BA in 90 or 91.That one was memorable because it had a reel to reel movie system that had to be turned on in each of the 5 cabins.The 747 was like an old girlfriend.Lots of good memories,but when you see her 20 yrs later,a lot of wear and tear.

Here's a picture at the end in the Mojave:

Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bernsa
I've been on no-one else's 747 before or since. Actually this week marks the 15 year anniversary of my last 747 flight
Looks like you should use some CO miles to fly on some CO partner flights. Many CO partners are flying the 744 - including NW, QF, AF, KE, KL, etc. The 744 is still my preferred aircraft.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by featheroleather
In 1987 CO inherited 10 or 11 "Whales" from PeoplExpress.AC#'s 601-610.They bought a hangar queen from BA in 90 or 91.That one was memorable because it had a reel to reel movie system that had to be turned on in each of the 5 cabins.The 747 was like an old girlfriend.Lots of good memories,but when you see her 20 yrs later,a lot of wear and tear.

That's a real sad picture to look at
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Even Worse

Originally Posted by supermasterphil

Even sadder when you see it side by side with the photo from

the post by "Bonehead" yesterday at 11:22 am on Airliners.net
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by featheroleather

I spent many a long day being a GA with those two planes, 10 and 11. Every time I saw that we were using 10 for our flight CO2 HNLLAX, I would call home and tell them I had no idea when I would be off from work, their MX issues were lengthy. I miss having 747's just not the ones we bought!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
I had only one experience with one

Flying from HNL to LAX in about 1997. Was supposed to be a DC-10 but they substituted a Micronesia 747. I am not sure why. All I remember was it was very old and was packed.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I flew one from LAX-HNL in the mid-90's. I vividly remember going from CMH to IAH to LAX to HNL, leaving at 7am out of CMH. At least, I had upgrades from CMH to LAX and then a middle seat (they switched equipment and my aisle seat to a middle seat) from LAX to HNL. At least the plane was roomy and my seatmates were friendly.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:10 pm

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
The link is gone now, but before the last major overhaul of CO.com, there was a link to "Aircraft for Sale" and there was a picture of a CO 747. I don't recall if it had a price.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Interiors

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
What happens to the interiors of these scrapped planes?

Is there a CO 747 bar/lounge set-up in all of its 70's flashy colors somewhere?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
What happens to the interiors of these scrapped planes?

Is there a CO 747 bar/lounge set-up in all of its 70's flashy colors somewhere?
Ahh, the good ole days!

Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by sfogate
I spent many a long day being a GA with those two planes, 10 and 11. Every time I saw that we were using 10 for our flight CO2 HNLLAX, I would call home and tell them I had no idea when I would be off from work, their MX issues were lengthy. I miss having 747's just not the ones we bought!
We used to affectionately to call AC 606 Six Oh Fix.I worked more than one flight when the blue "lav juice" leaked into the row directly behind.

It always amazed me how those lumbering jets would shake,rattle and roll for take-off. Too bad CO has no plans order any 747-8's.The 747 is the real Queen of the Sky, not the 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.