Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking Lounge at IAH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brooklynflyer:
For once, I have to say that I agree with JS. Adults are allowed to do things that are not necessarily very good for them (smoke, drink too much, eat too much, not exercise enough, etc.). I have to say that the tone of moral condemnation emanating from people is a little disturbing. Everyone has some self-destructive habits; for some it's smoking. It's not unreasonable to think that airports should make some type of accomodation for behavior that 25% of the population engages in so long as it does not affect non-smokers. </font>
Awright! I sort of said the same thing above, but you eliminated the abogado verbosity (which is what they teach you in abogado school). Thanks for nicely articulating your well-reasoned - at least in my opinion, which is not necessarily humble - point of view (plus, your Brooklyn presence works well for this born and bred Brooklynite).

Also, I think the umpire has his head screwed on straight. (Now he just has to make sure that he calls them right for the New York team that is in his league.)

Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:19 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
And for you Fireworksboy...I will buy a carton of cigarettes tomorrow....go out in the street and pour gas on them...and then destroy them as I fill with glee....who knows...maybe I'll even save a life.....disgusting,nasty and dirty habit generally for lower income folks.
I know...I know..there are exceptions...but many studies have been done that suggest that the greatest percentage of smokers are from the lower income brackets. YMMV.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
...but many studies have been done that suggest that the greatest percentage of smokers are from the lower income brackets. YMMV. </font>
Okay. If I were to make that statement in court, either (1) in a trial setting the other side would object on the ground of lack of foundation, or, in the same vein, (2) the judge would judiciously (which is how judges generally act) say, "Counselor, do you have scientific proof to back it up?"

So, please, show me the money.

Also - and I'm not looking to pick a fight here - this seems to be a very sensitive subject for you, and your commentary is - respectfully - quite at odds with your previously professed relaxed Southern California demeanor (unless I'm confusing you with somebody else, I recall that in another post you stated that you were originally from NJ, but that you discovered enlightenment (my wiseass characterization) when you moved to CA). (Nothing personal here, and I don't mean to offend you.)

[This message has been edited by SJU Abogado (edited Nov 26, 2003).]
Old Nov 26, 2003, 12:15 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Yes...you are correct...I'm usually a very calm...easy going guy....this is perhaps the one issue that gets me going.... and I do love SoCal..there is no way that I would ever go back to that ratrace...I will list multiple studies for you tomorrow when I get some time....these are well documented...I'm surprised you haven't read about them anywhere.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 12:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
Yes...you are correct...I'm usually a very calm...easy going guy....this is perhaps the one issue that gets me going.... and I do love SoCal..there is no way that I would ever go back to that ratrace...I will list multiple studies for you tomorrow when I get some time....these are well documented...I'm surprised you haven't read about them anywhere.</font>
Very well. We can pick this up on Wednesday (which is what it is here on the east coast, so I'm turning in for the night and I'll catch up with you later).

Have a good rest of the evening.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 12:49 am

Here you go SJU....read it and weep.

3 studies done by the states of PA,WA and your own NJ. First one is PDF format...you will nead a reader to open.....FYI....there are many more...I just picked the first 3 I came across......didn't take very long...enjoy....and what do I get for "proving" it?

http://www.health.state.pa.us/pdf/hp...98/tobacco.pdf

http://www.doh.wa.gov/tobacco/Report/adults.htm

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...ey/6248129.htm

PS...most of these types of studies indicate that smokers are much more likely to be uneducated than non-smokers.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 4:50 am

Here you go SJU....read it and weep. </font>
You're wearing me down, man. I think I'm going to take a pass from responding to the merits and try to refrain from contributing any more to this thread. It has nothing to do with you or anybody else, but the discussion is getting kind of old to me. I've made my points, as have you and everybody else who has written.

Where's fly aa to see the yanks when you need him to ask the moderator to shut a thread down for going off topic? (I think it's been well established that there is not a smoking lounge in IAH.)

Old Nov 26, 2003, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
And for you Fireworksboy...I will buy a carton of cigarettes tomorrow....go out in the street and pour gas on them...and then destroy them as I fill with glee....who knows...maybe I'll even save a life.....disgusting,nasty and dirty habit generally for lower income folks.
I know...I know..there are exceptions...but many studies have been done that suggest that the greatest percentage of smokers are from the lower income brackets. YMMV.
</font>
If they can provide a smoking area that doesn't interfere with non smokers, what's your beef? No matter how disgusting, dirty, smelly a habit it is, how does my smoking affect your life? BTW, thanks for buying the smokes, maybe Philip Morris will put the money towards building a few more smoking dens at the airport. PEOPLE SHOULD LET OTHER PEOPLE LEAD THEIR LIVES. Isn't it funny that the calm, laid back people actually think they are stressed out high strung and that the stressed out high strung ones think that they're the calm ones. Funny how that works. Hope everyone has a great holiday!

[This message has been edited by fireworksboy (edited Nov 26, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.