Wiki Posts
Search

Switch from US to CO?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver
Switch from US to CO?

I'm trying to make a key decision within the next few days or so (before my next *A trip), and could use some help from fellow readers. I'm currently Gold on US Airways, and have been for a few years. I have the opportunity to move to Elite Silver on Continental, and would need to start from 0 to maintain the silver (or higher) status for 2012. While I'd hate the drop down this year, this would set me up nicely to move from US Airways to the new United/Continental program in 2012.

Ultimately my decision is: Do I stick with US Airways and the Gold thing I've got going now (already banked about 24K miles this year) or do I abandon ship and start booking miles on CO with hopes for access to a better program next year? My home airport works well with either airline.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
IMHO, I would switch to CO/UA. Much bigger network, more destinations, more first class seats for upgrades. However, it really depends on the places you fly to from your home airport, and the times of flights that you need/prefer. The good news is you can earn your miles for any of the 3...er 2 programs on any of the *A airlines. The bottom line is figuring out where you want your upgrades and miles. CO has a much better rewards search system than US so that's something to consider.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by dcdulong
I'm trying to make a key decision within the next few days or so (before my next *A trip), and could use some help from fellow readers. I'm currently Gold on US Airways, and have been for a few years. I have the opportunity to move to Elite Silver on Continental, and would need to start from 0 to maintain the silver (or higher) status for 2012. While I'd hate the drop down this year, this would set me up nicely to move from US Airways to the new United/Continental program in 2012.

Ultimately my decision is: Do I stick with US Airways and the Gold thing I've got going now (already banked about 24K miles this year) or do I abandon ship and start booking miles on CO with hopes for access to a better program next year? My home airport works well with either airline.
Where are you based? If the UACO hubs of ORD/IAD/SFO/NRT/LAX/IAH/CLE/EWR/GUM make more sense than US hubs, than I say go for it. ^ US SCAirways has had a track record of for several decades now....:-:
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theblakefish
Where are you based? If the UACO hubs of ORD/IAD/SFO/NRT/LAX/IAH/CLE/EWR/GUM make more sense than US hubs, than I say go for it. ^ US SCAirways has had a track record of for several decades now....:-:
Home airport is ROC, so I'm used to bouncing to ORD/EWR on CO/UA or DCA/PHL on US. I'm thinking the comment above about favoring the larger program makes the most sense...

Thanks for the fast replies!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Home airport is ROC, so I'm used to bouncing to ORD/EWR on CO/UA or DCA/PHL on US. I'm thinking the comment above about favoring the larger program makes the most sense...

Thanks for the fast replies!
UACO then gives you a bit more flexibility with IAD/EWR rather than just PHL and the restricted hub at DCA. Good luck! ^
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by theblakefish
US SCAirways has had a track record of for several decades now....:-:
Several decades might be an exaggeration. Prior to 9/11, US had very good service, and had some of the highest costs per seat mile as a result of their service.

While US has certainly made its share of boneheaded moves in the past few years, there are areas where US does better than our beloved CO. US has more Internet-equipped planes than CO, has pillows in F that CO doesn't have, and has free specialty drinks in F (the same one that CO charges $2 for in F).
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
ROC is my hometown before moving to CLT.^ In your case, it probably makes sense to go with UA-CO at some point. You have the benefit of CLE, ORD, IAD and EWR as hubs. Note, ROC features no mainline to CO's legacy hubs of course, but does have mainline to ORD and some Express Jet service to IAD with FC on CRJ-700s. If you go with CO-UA, you're really just losing upgrades at the end of the day on US, but should have decent shots on UA when you get your status back. Note, US treats *A elites pretty well I think, so as long as you have some status, you'll enjoy the benefits of an expanded hub network too. However it shakes for you, good luck!

Safe Travels
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GTITAN
ROC is my hometown before moving to CLT.^ In your case, it probably makes sense to go with UA-CO at some point. You have the benefit of CLE, ORD, IAD and EWR as hubs. Note, ROC features no mainline to CO's legacy hubs of course, but does have mainline to ORD and some Express Jet service to IAD with FC on CRJ-700s. If you go with CO-UA, you're really just losing upgrades at the end of the day on US, but should have decent shots on UA when you get your status back. Note, US treats *A elites pretty well I think, so as long as you have some status, you'll enjoy the benefits of an expanded hub network too. However it shakes for you, good luck!

Safe Travels
Great points about the combined hubs, and you make a fair point about the mainline/FC options. My upgrade %age on US to/from CLT hasn't been stellar (US' only FC route from ROC), so I'm OK with giving up a perk that I never really get anyway!

I greatly appreciate all the feedback.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
it really depends on your flying habits and if the carrier network has good access for you. despite CO not having a hub in the DC area, i've been sticking w/ CO (and now UA) because of: 1) preferred routing for personal TPAC travel, and 2) work travel that brings me to IAH somewhat frequently and places in TX i can get to easily from IAH.

with the extension of the network through the merger, i'm looking at even more routes now, including more domestic F seats to UDU/EUA into on birds larger than 738s to get to Hawaii ex SFO/LAX. testing that out next month.... also, having IAD close by to me is a nice option for direct transcon routing as well.

as a CO silver though, UDU/EUAs might not come as frequently. i've read that US Golds get a fair share of comp upgrades, so you may face a drop in those if you jump to COUA.

while i don't travel as much as some of the beasts on the forum, i've flown a decent enough amount and have not been too screwed up by too badly by CO (or UA with my experience so far), eg, not getting weird scrutiny from abusive FAs, GAs, lost or delayed luggage, MX delays/cancellations etc. i know it's a matter of time before it's my turn. i don't think i'm drinking the COol-aid... but maybe i did and have subconsciously blocked out all my bad memories with them.

i've been treated well when flying on US, though i did get one MX delay that caused me to miss a connection in PHL in Feb. US did provide a comp'd hotel + meal voucher for me.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:47 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Great points about the combined hubs, and you make a fair point about the mainline/FC options. My upgrade %age on US to/from CLT hasn't been stellar (US' only FC route from ROC), so I'm OK with giving up a perk that I never really get anyway!

I greatly appreciate all the feedback.
Don't forget the "ace" up UA/CO's sleeve--E+. Upgrades may or may not happen on either airline, especially when you will only be 1P at best. E+ is a nice fall back option, IMHO.

LAX
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Several decades might be an exaggeration. Prior to 9/11, US had very good service, and had some of the highest costs per seat mile as a result of their service.

While US has certainly made its share of boneheaded moves in the past few years, there are areas where US does better than our beloved CO. US has more Internet-equipped planes than CO, has pillows in F that CO doesn't have, and has free specialty drinks in F (the same one that CO charges $2 for in F).
None of US's planes have IFE. They have a hub in Filthadelphia. The latter alone means that CO could require that every passenger on every flight be caned and it would still universally be a better experience than the best experience anyone has ever had on US.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Gold
No need to start from scratch to get elite status with CO/UA. Have your US status matched by DL, and then use your DL status to have it matched by either CO or UA. This will work if you have not had status matched before with either.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer IAH
No need to start from scratch to get elite status with CO/UA. Have your US status matched by DL, and then use your DL status to have it matched by either CO or UA. This will work if you have not had status matched before with either.
Not a good idea to blow the one lifetime match to DL. Also may not work as CO/UA may ask not just for copy of status card on DL but also activity statement. Empty shell status might not get matched.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by gawhite411
None of US's planes have IFE.
I would prefer Internet over IFE. I think many business travellers would agree.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am really impressed with US's service in IROPS. I frequently fly them because they are cheaper than CO/UA out of/into Memphis. The flight to CLT was delayed on Fri. The agent booked me on a later connection out of CLT. I got to CLT 15 minutes before the scheduled departure of my connection. Landed on concourse C; connection on E. Walked fast, was at the gate about 8 minutes before scheduled departure of original connection. Asked if I could get on. No checked bags. Not a problem. What other airline will let you on 8 minutes before departure, let alone spend the time to change your flight. It meant I didn't have to spend 3 hours in CLT. Despite all the negatives I read about US on FT, I really like them. Now, I haven't flown them for long haul or overseas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.