Its Official: EWR-MUC Announced

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: Onepass
Some new CO nonstops I would like to see soon:

EWR-VCE, EWR-VIE, EWR-GIG, IAH-MUC, IAH-MAD
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Sure, but those routes are not even within the ballpark of possible with a 752. Once the 787s show up there will be plenty more options out there for CO.
What if a widebody from EWR - AMS/CDG/LHR were swapped out for two 752 runs? I know the economics/seat cap/cargo would be very different, but it'd allow a single widebody to do the flight from IAH - MUC/MAD/BCN.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I think the timeline is off. CO switched to the 762 in 2007, a year prior to announcing the *A move and two years prior to actually making the move.
True, but the *A announcement was made in the late spring 08, so it's not inconceivable that talks were well under way before then and that LH and the LBA were putting the heat on CO to make this change or face difficulties getting into a partnership with LH.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:26 am

the brand that makes us stop in Ireland on the way to the USA for no apparent reason.

It works for BA because of the aircraft, service and location of the airport. CO doesn't really have any of those three characteristics so I'm not sure what the appeal for customers would be.
1) The "reason" is that your alternatives are either a) a non-stop on Austrian to JFK or b) a connection in FRA, MUC, IAD, etc. Therefore, IMHO I'd choose a one-stop same plane service on CO vs. the alternatives. I'm curious which you'd choose. Again, given the chance, I'd jump all over an overnight CO non-stop on a 752 right into VCE or VIE, and accept that on the daylight leg coming home, we'd be stopping in SNN for gas.

2) Again, we're told that "most" coach passangers fly Ryan, EasyJet, etc because they save $50-100 vs. BA, LH, AF, etc. However, we FTer's scoff at those same people because those discount airlines send them to far-flung airports, way outside of town, in order to save $50-100. By the same token, wouldn't those same discount customers, based in VIE or VCE, fly a CO one-stop service via SNN to EWR vs. paying $50-100 more to fly LH, OS, AZ, etc? Logic would seem to indicate that is the case, and that's my point. Therefore, by flying a low CASM 752, CO would establish a customer base in VCE and VIE now, a few years before the 788's come into the fleet. A low CASM 752 also might let CO charge the "magic" $50-100 less than the non-stop competitors, and thereby capture traffic, because CO would be using the right-sized plan on the route vs. the competitors who need to cover the costs of an A330 or A340.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by IAATM
1) The "reason" is that your alternatives are either a) a non-stop on Austrian to JFK or b) a connection in FRA, MUC, IAD, etc. Therefore, IMHO I'd choose a one-stop same plane service on CO vs. the alternatives. I'm curious which you'd choose. Again, given the chance, I'd jump all over an overnight CO non-stop on a 752 right into VCE or VIE, and accept that on the daylight leg coming home, we'd be stopping in SNN for gas.

2) Again, we're told that "most" coach passangers fly Ryan, EasyJet, etc because they save $50-100 vs. BA, LH, AF, etc. However, we FTer's scoff at those same people because those discount airlines send them to far-flung airports, way outside of town, in order to save $50-100. By the same token, wouldn't those same discount customers, based in VIE or VCE, fly a CO one-stop service via SNN to EWR vs. paying $50-100 more to fly LH, OS, AZ, etc? Logic would seem to indicate that is the case, and that's my point. Therefore, by flying a low CASM 752, CO would establish a customer base in VCE and VIE now, a few years before the 788's come into the fleet. A low CASM 752 also might let CO charge the "magic" $50-100 less than the non-stop competitors, and thereby capture traffic, because CO would be using the right-sized plan on the route vs. the competitors who need to cover the costs of an A330 or A340.
LH is not a competitor anymore. CO, UA, LH and AC share the revenue over the pond.

Not sure when LH will actually start using their influence on OS route structure (expansions rather than cutting) Maybe they will put a bird out to EWR from VIE.

All your arguments make sense, still, the 752 to VIE and VCE are not happening, just my 2 cents!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

VIE and VCE will not happen IMHO as well. If we see any seasonal destinations from CO my guess would be those touristy destinations within range of the 752 and perhaps additional frequencies to *A hubs. VIE and VCE would have too many west bound restrictions to make them worthwhile.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by channa
45 minutes with a train station in the airport is pretty good by U.S. standards.

In fact, even in European, there are a lot of airports with much worse connectivity -- BCN, VCE, and TXL come to mind.
At least with VCE, you can take a scenic ride on a water taxi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.