Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt in February? Hot Dog! (15 Feb 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

I'll be in FRA, getting in the morning of 15 Feb and departing the next afternoon. I was wondering if anyone else will be around for dinner and some Apfelwein?

Possible attendees:

FlyinHawaiian
thecleve
Benzguy80
ByrdluvsAWACO
mobilebucky
Pedro M
cathaana
Bembel-Terrorist

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 11, 2009 at 2:19 pm
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:02 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I'll be in FRA, getting in the morning of 15 Feb and departing the next afternoon. I was wondering if anyone else will be around and, if so, would be interested in meeting up?
You could take a look here, if some FTs are at FRA at this time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-meetings.html
Old Feb 5, 2009, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Friendly bump; hoping some local FRA residents wouldn't mind meeting some of us.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: nobody
I should be back in Frankfurt Hbf around 8:10pm and I can get over there if it is not too late for everyone.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:57 am

I might be able to join you but it's a fairly busy weekend.

What are you planning on doing?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cathaana
I might be able to join you but it's a fairly busy weekend.

What are you planning on doing?
I'm sure you will be busy with the Stammtisch on Friday. Still, it would be nice to see you again; we met at one of the SIN Dos a few years ago.

This will be my first trip to FRA, so I thought I would do some sight-seeing in the city.

I get in Sunday mid-morning and was planning on taking the train into the Hauptbahnhof, walk around a bit, and probably take the city tour bus tour that starts at 2 p.m. After the tour, I thought I'd walk around the Römerberg area before finding a place to eat.

Would somewhere in the Sachsenhausen District be too touristy a place to meet for dinner? Or, do you have any other suggestions?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:38 am

There are lots of nice places to eat in Sachsenhausen, some we have used for our Advents Dos (Fichtekränzi, Dauth-Schneider, Feuerrädchen).
If you want traditional cuisine, try one of them or Malepartus or Apfelwein Kunze.
For a bit of Asian food, edmw or coa (with the previous being an Advents Do favorite).
For a really good Currywurst, try Snackpoint on Berger Straße.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:05 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Unfortunately I won't be near FRA this weekend.

Have fun! And don't drink to much of that "Applewoi" stuff...
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I get in Sunday mid-morning and was planning on taking the train into the Hauptbahnhof, walk around a bit, and probably take the city tour bus tour that starts at 2 p.m. After the tour, I thought I'd walk around the Römerberg area before finding a place to eat.

Would somewhere in the Sachsenhausen District be too touristy a place to meet for dinner? Or, do you have any other suggestions?
The bus tour looks interesting. I might be up for it if I get some sleep on the way over.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
CX + resched, arriving sooner on Sun 2/15

Just got a call from AAutomated AAgent, informing me my flight tomorrow (AUS-DFW-SFO-ORD-FRA) is CX but I'm rebooked (AUS-DFW-FRA), arriving at 07:05am instead. Sorry to thecleave and others that I had hoped to meet at ORD, I really wanted to see FL there too but we should be able to meet up later.

At least now there's plenty of time for a side trip to Stuttgart. ^^

Last edited by benzguy80; Feb 13, 2009 at 9:01 am Reason: bad date for arrival
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by benzguy80
Just got a call from AAutomated AAgent, informing me my flight tomorrow (AUS-DFW-SFO-ORD-FRA) is CX but I'm rebooked (AUS-DFW-FRA), arriving at 07:05am instead. Sorry to thecleave and others that I had hoped to meet at ORD, I really wanted to see FL there too but we should be able to meet up later.

At least now there's plenty of time for a side trip to Stuttgart. ^^
Sorry to hear about the rebooking, but that's great you'll get in so early!!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:42 pm

I'd sure like to meet you folks, sample the apfelwein, and experience some real German cooking.

I expect to be out of touch after departing DFW early tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps we can agree to a place/time to meet this evening?

I'm up for Sachenhausen District, but freely admit ignorance about what's to be found there. Does it make sense for us all to meet up at the Bahnhof Frankfurt Sud or Frankfurt Lokalbahnhof? How would we recognize each other (or least those who don't have yellow tags yet)?

auf wiedersehen!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

I get in on Sunday around 9 a.m. into FRA and will try any check into the Sheraton there and then take the train into the city.

I am meeting some friends at the Römerberg fountain around 11:30-12:00pm, having a quick lunch and then head back to the Hauptbahnhof for a city tour around 2. If the bus tour is 2.5 hours as stated and leaves the Hauptbahnhof at 2:15 p.m., then I would say a 5 p.m. meetup might be possible back at the Hauptbahnhof and then make our way over for someplace for sightseeing/dinner. I do have an FT tag on my backpack. I sent a PM to another friend of mine who lives near FRA to see if they could recommed a place to eat. Otherwise, if someone wants to pick one of the ones cathaana suggested, I am fine with that. I'll make sure something is posted in this thread before I go to bed tonight.

Fichtekränzi
Dauth-Schneider
Feuerrädchen
Malepartus
Apfelwein Kunze

If any FRA locals can advise on which of the above would be easiest to find and get to and is tourist-friendly to non-German speakers, that would be appreciated!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 14, 2009 at 1:13 am
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benzguy80
I'd sure like to meet you folks, sample the apfelwein, and experience some real German cooking.

I expect to be out of touch after departing DFW early tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps we can agree to a place/time to meet this evening?

I'm up for Sachenhausen District, but freely admit ignorance about what's to be found there. Does it make sense for us all to meet up at the Bahnhof Frankfurt Sud or Frankfurt Lokalbahnhof? How would we recognize each other (or least those who don't have yellow tags yet)?

auf wiedersehen!
Here's my suggestion. Let's meet at the southern end of the Eiserner Steg Pedestrian Bridge (by the Schaumainkai) at 7 p.m. local time and then we can walk around and find a place to eat. I'll have a yellow FT tag on my backpack. I'll wait about 10-15 min there before going on. Anyone who wants my cell can PM me.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:02 pm

a couple of us are headed to Stuttgart, probably won't be back in time to meet at 7pm

8pm works better -- at least for me -- as I was planning to head over to Mainz from Stuttgart to check in and ditch my bags before heading into the city for dinner etc. if that's too late I can adjust my timing accordingly.

auf wiedersehen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.