Search

Calling FTers!! A Different Kind of Postcard Project

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Calling FTers!! A Different Kind of Postcard Project

Over the years FTers have posted in Community asking that postcards get sent to them or their children, usually for a child's school project. And FTers have come through in spades. ^

I'd like to ask for FTers help w/ a postcard project, but it's not for a school assignment.

Some of you are aware my sister's been diagnosed w/ an agressive form of breast cancer. They say it's curable, but obviously it's going to be a long year in getting there (treatment goes through next April).

In the women's forum there is a thread on tips & things you can do to help a person with cancer. One of the posts mentioned sending postcards or notes, and one FTer sent me a couple of cards (thanks kipper! ) to send to Cheryl spaced out over time.

I started thinking about postcards when I was stuck in traffic today, and where to get some locally. But then that started me thinking well, what about some that aren't local? How would I get those? And then I thought - FTers!

So if you would be willing to send a postcard either from where you live or where you're traveling to or when you're at a Do that I could forward on to my sister, I would greatly appreciate it.

I know some will say how will Cheryl feel about getting postcards from FTers - ie, people she doesn't know? Glad you asked. Cheryl's actually met a few FTers already, and hears me talk about them all the time usually by handle, so she feels like she knows quite a few even without having met then. In fact I confused her a couple of weeks ago when I referred to an FTer by their real name instead of their handle.

I became actively involved w/ FT at beginning of '03, and Thanksgiving weekend Cheryl was visiting me. I invited wingless and auh2o for mid-morning mimosas (buck fizz to the Brits) & to meet Cheryl. wingless asked Cheryl, "so - how do you feel about your sister being involved w/ FT?" Cheryl, "I don't know. Never heard of it. Is it a cult?" LOL. Well yes Cheryl it is! A wonderful one!

Since then Cheryl's met some more FTers, heard me talk about airline, hotel points (yes, I even got her to sign up for Hilton Honors!), and has heard about the Dos all over the world. She's asked if Spiff really flies from Point A to Point B via Points C,D,E & F (yes he does!). And we know she's absorbed the culture when one day, in response to my complaining about my airline miles balance being depleted, she responded, "Well, do a mileage run".

If you're willing to send a postcard from where you live or biz or Do travels take you (you can write anything on the card - Hello from Hawaii, Eating dim sum in SIN, it's hot in NYC in the summer) & sign it with your handle (ie, SkiAdcock on FT), I'd greatly appreciate it. And I think as the year goes on, Cheryl will appreciate getting colorful postcards in the mail.

Right now Cheryl is staying with friends as she goes through her initial treatment. She lives 3 hours from where she's being treated, and the friends have been a godsend in terms of support & being close to the cancer center. I'll alternate working out of home in LA & then her home during the next year. Because Cheryl will be splitting time between both places (friends when I can't be there & her home when I can), it would be easier if postcards are sent to me & then I'll forward them to her spaced out over time, rather than provide an address where she might not be when the postcard is sent.

So if you're willing to help w/ this different type of postcard project, please PM me & I'll send you my address. Thanks for your help, and please keep my sister in your thoughts & prayers.

BTW - I've promised Cheryl that when she gets through all this I'll give her an int'l F ticket to celebrate. I figure she already has incentive to get well (ie, living), but a wee bit of FT incentive can't hurt

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 22, 2008 at 2:48 pm
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Did you bring her to a SeaDo a couple of years ago? If so, I remember her. I am presently in El Valle de Anton, Panama. P.M. me quick please as I leave Friday a.m.

My best to her.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:04 pm

PM on the way from Down Under....

erm... well.. I'm in the USA at the moment.. but an Aussie postcard will help round out the collection I hope!
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
A PM has been sent from Dirty Jersey.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
PM on the way from PM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thank you all so much!

I'd also like to add that if you're US-based & don't want to incur the (sometimes higher) cost of postage from overseas (even though you're overseas at the time), I doubt that Cheryl will actually look at the postmark, so feel free to mail it when you get back to the US. And for those willing to mail from overseas (and the US folk as well), I'll certainly reimburse you via Paypal any postage if you need it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
PM on it's way from Dublin
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:48 pm
In Memoriam

Sharon:

A friend of ours and teacher at my wife's school was one of the beneficiaries of a post card campaign. If your sister gets just half of the results that I have seen from the FT Community, she will be entertained for many many days reading all of the cards.

Good luck and God speed.

You are all in my prayers.

Please PM the appropriate information.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM- Thank You, FT !!
sharon

Needless to say we were very sorry to read this latest news; obviously, our thoughts, prayers & best wishes go out to you, to your family and most of all to CHERYL........

Yes, please PM me the address and the postcards will start going out immediately !!

delacpa
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
PM coming your way from a Sapporo, Japan-bound FTer.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
PM from the BRT tour guide.

Ski, If it will cheer up Cheryl, she can join us on 21 June on the Brooklyn Tour as my guest. I can guarantee she'll forget her problems for a while, as she'll get bored to death listening to various legendary tales about DO's and mileage runs. And don't forget the drama.

dh
Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:25 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Yhpm.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:14 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
PM sent from S. Florida
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Sharon, ygpm
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:32 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
PM was sent!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.