Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cow Do IV - Aug 29 to Sep 01, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:42 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post Cow Do IV - Aug 29 to Sep 01, 2008

So Folks... now that we all survived Cow Do III, and everybody seems to have had a good time, here is the official thread to start planning Cow Do IV. Yours truly will be assisting the official organizers FredMartens & Tenmoc....

I have blocked my calendar for Saturday Aug 30th to host the now traditional charity Spoof Juice Test... with Monday Sept. 1st as a possible second tasting day if there is interest.

For those wanting to read what this Do is all about... please see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627582

So... who is coming..???

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Sep 12, 2007 at 6:49 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
OK Folks... Ive been able to secure the reservations, you are booked as a group from a "travel agent"... code name FLYERTALK, the details are as follows:

HK1 FRI 29 AUG - El Establo, Dinner 2000hs - 35 pax
HK1 SAT 30 AUG - Rio Alba, Lunch 1430hs - 32 pax
HK1 SAT 30 AUG - El Trapiche, Dinner 2100hs - 36 pax
HK1 SUN 31 AUG - La Brigada San Telmo, Dinner 2000hs - 32 pax

Please note: being punctual for the dinner bookings is critical, since you guys are such a large group that most places have issues accomodating you... this is super especially critical on 8/31 @La Brigada... where I had to do some arm twisting to have them book you 4 (four) tables of 8 pax each. I know that the group for that day seems to be 34, but they refuse to book that amount of people so Ive agreed to hold 4 tables and assured them that the group would be able to figure out how to spread out the additional 2 pax.... (maybe an additional small side table).

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 14, 2008 at 7:32 pm
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Just to confirm the times the WTs will be starting:

WT Saturday - begins 1200 noon
WT Monday - begins 1100 am

Thanks,
Alex (Gaucho100K)

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 14, 2008 at 7:33 pm
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Folks... I know from my many travels that sometimes, when the sh!t hits the fan, its good to have a local contact to call and get some advice/help. While Im not much more than a peddler of spoof juice , I know my ropes around EZE and if someone coming for this Do happens to run into an issue or situation where you really need help, please do let me know.

Cheers,
Alex (Gaucho100K)

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Sep 21, 2010 at 9:36 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: DL, AA
Sounds like a great time to visit Argentina.
Very interested, but I am not booking flights yet.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
List of attendees.

Definite:
Tenmoc +5 (HOST) DFri (6), DSat (6), DSun (6), DMon (6), LRA (6). WTS (2) WTM (6) -Apartments
Fredmartens (HOST) DFri, DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS
Tazi: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. WTS
mad4miles: DFri, DSat, LRA. WTS DSun (tentative), DMon, -PH
BOB W: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. WTS WTM -SL
aviationkiwi: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. WTS WTM
bobovespa: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. WTM
Fireworksboy: DFri, DSat, LRA. WTS -SL.
Middle_Seat: DFri, DSat, LRA.
Getiton: DFri (2), DSat (2), DSun (2), DMon (2), LRA(2). WTM (2)
aku: DFri, DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS -SL
VPescado: DFri, DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS
spiff: DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS WTM
scoow: DFri, DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS WTM
bdschobel: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, -M
chchkiwi: DFri, DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS
BondAir007: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. WTS WTM
nroscoe:DFri, DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS
PHLBuddy: DFri, DSat, LRA. WTS
BoyAreMyArmsTired: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. WTS WTM
opushomes +1: DFri (2), DSat (2), DSun (2), DMon (2), WTM (2)
Spartacus: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. -HH
Baxter&Bessies'Mama: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. -HH
headinclouds: DFri, DSat, DSun, WTS
shell nyc: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. WTS WTM (2)
awc4: DFri, DSun, DMon, LRA.
Eastbay1k: DMon,
EdisonCarter: DFri, DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS
SoFlyOn: DSat, DSun, DMon, WTS, WTM
MsEverywhere: DFri, DSat, DSun, DMon, LRA. WTS WTM -M
BOISJC744: DFri, DSat, DSun, LRA. WTS WTM
rolov: WTS

Planning:
cpx
skye1
KimmyAA
myefre
vysean
Madhouse24 +1
FlyinHawaiian

Unable to make it this year:
Condition One
bschaff1: canceled by AC.
benny248
rbaa
monitor
hauteboy
hch
Hauteboy +1
szg - Not this year. Hopefully next.
UCBeau
MarkXS: Canceled by AC fare.
SkiAdcock
MCI777
Oreck
chrissxb
Seeksreal
lucky9876coins
dlnewbie
Wireless
Sonora
rtw4
timid_trnchcoat
tmartazu +1: DFri (2), DSat (2), DSun (2), DMon, LRA (2). WTS (2)

Key: WTS is Saturday, WTM for Monday, wine tasting (limit 25), -M is for Marriott, -SL is for the Sheraton Libertador, -PH is for the Park Hyatt, -HH is for the Hilton, -HCR is for Hotel Costa Rica
DSat for dinner Saturday, DSun for dinner Sunday, DFri for dinner Friday, DMon for dinner Monday, LRA is Saturday's lunch at Rio Alba.

Last edited by tenmoc; Aug 26, 2008 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
The Food Post of Cow Do IV.

Since it was posted to the forum by someone, here is the link to Tenmoc's BsAs restaurant reviews on VirtualTourist.

One very important note to be had. Please carry cash for these events. Its always best to not need change from the waiters.
Also be aware that the ATM restrictions have gotten worse than they were last year.

Ok folks. So the time has come much earlier than we all thought it would to start getting ideas for food.

We will cover plans for dinner on Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday as well as lunch on Saturday. All other eating events will be on an individual basis that we welcome anyone to say "I am going here and when" and having someone or everyone join you.

El Establo: Friday Dinner, 2000hrs
Paraguay 489
Cross Street: At San Martin, One block from Florida

Rio Alba: Saturday Lunch, 1430hrs.
Cervino 4499
Cross Streets: At Fray Justo Santamaria De Oro

Subway: Palermo – Linea D. 3 Blocks

El Trapiche: Saturday Dinner, 2100hrs
Paraguay 5099
Cross Street: At Humboldt

Subway: Palermo – Linea D. 2 Blocks

La Brigada: Sunday Dinner, 2000hrs
Estados Unidos 465
Cross Streets: Between Bolivar and Defensa

Subway: Independencia – Linea C or E. 5 Blocks

El Desnivel: Monday Dinner, 2000hrs
Defensa 855
Cross Streets: At Jose M. Giuffra Dr. Which is between Estados Unidos and Independencia

Subway: Independencia – Linea C or E. 6 Blocks

All of these are previous Cow Do meal events. All were good to us and I hope you enjoy your experiences whether you've been to some or all or they're all new to you.

We have decided not to require deposits for any events but do ask that you all let us know before hand if you can't make something we're expecting you to come to. All the restaurants are in need of the table space for other customers if we're not going to use it and it helps us when we want to come back to have used what we said we would. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Last edited by tenmoc; Aug 19, 2008 at 10:27 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:55 am

And so it seems we have general ideas.

Fred and I were discussing a great many ideas this year for CD4. Or Cow Do eye V for those that just want the wine.

We are going to try and set up a reservation system with a good faith deposit of 100 pesos for the dinners and of course for the tastings.

It is up to Alex if we can have two or more tastings this next year. Its a great couple hours and as always for a great cause.

We are keeping the Saturday lunch at Rio Alba as in Cow Do 1 and 3. Also Sunday dinner will again be in La Brigada. Monday's dinner is a semi new official event and will be at El Desnivel.
Saturday's dinner is open to discussion as is Friday's. If nothing good is chosen for Friday we will go back to El Establo.

We know as this event gets more popular, more and more will want in. Tastings are limited to right now 25 max and sometimes less. So although we will allow double dipping later for now, if Alex approves more than one, lets keep it to one tasting per person with those who are here on Monday choosing that one. Again, this can change as the date approaches.

As well as the other cow do threads started by Fred and myself you can find info about the restaurants of cow do on my virtualtourist.com page with the link in post 7. I go by cjg1 over there though. Not the user tenmoc which I do see was registered.

Also. And this is quite important.
There is only so much that we can organize for these weekends.
We will be putting together, officially, Friday night dinner. Saturday Tasting, Lunch and Dinner. Sunday Dinner. Monday Tasting and Dinner. And any other tastings approved as well as keeping lists for other events if wanted. But we highly recommend people getting together for lunch or dinner and such on their own. So please speak up with your plans and such so people can join you in what you want to do.

Hotels will be kept track of but flight dates if you want so cabs can be shared and lounges guested need to be arranged individually.

I think this is the start I need for now.

See you all next year.
Chris

Last edited by tenmoc; Dec 26, 2007 at 7:57 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:57 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Sunday Day Trip to Colonia Del Sacremento, Uruguay
*Information blatantly plagiarized from post by fredmartens ... prices & times have been updated*

Sunday Day Trip at 11:30 A.M. to Colonia Del Sacramento, Uruguay aboard the Buquebus fast ferry (1 hour, approx. $83 USD in Tourista Class or $113 in Primera Class). Arrive at the ferry terminal at least 45-60 minutes before sailing. Pick up tickets by Saturday at Estacion Fluvial, Avenida Cordova & Avenida Davila in Puerto Madero (the ferry occasionally sells out). We will take cabs from Rio Alba on Saturday after lunch to purchase tickets (if you are not attending the lunch, you will need to do this on your own). Return ferry from Colonia is at 5:30 PM. Best to arrive back at the Colonia Buquebus teminal for the return sailing by 4:30 P.M., as there a bit of a checkin queue and a small departure tax to be paid. Don't forget your passport if you're going, as you will go through immigration/passport stamp leaving as well as coming back. You will also need your passport number when purchasing tickets on Saturday.

There are a couple of great little lunch spots over there, and the cobblestone streets are fun to wander. There's also a lighthouse where you can climb up from inside and view this charming little town from the top. Thrifty has "street legal" golf cart rentals as well; figure about $20 USD (this might be higher now) for an hour or so, which is much more than it takes to tour the town.

http://www.buenostours.com/colonia-d...mento-day-trip

Attendees:
Tazi
BOB W
chchkiwi
aku
Middle_Seat
BoyAreMyArmsTired
EdisonCarter
shell nyc
EdisonCarter
scoow
Spartacus
Baxter&Bessies'Mama
nroscoe
BOISJC744

Last edited by tazi; Aug 25, 2008 at 6:48 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
since I added this DO to the Consolidated DO-list thread it would be nice if you added me to the maybe list
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:38 am

No time like the present to get the ball rolling on this. I gotta say, learning that this year's FTers raised a CowDo "record" of AR$4k at the charity tastings should make this group proud. Giving something back, no matter how small or large, to a country that makes us all feel so welcome...major ^ to Alex for his efforts and to all that have been contributors to this.

Chris and Alejandro did such an outstanding job putting this year's events together; I hope that I can lend support these two in making CowDo IV even better, although I don't see at this point how that's possible..but I'll try!

In lending support to Chris' idea to ask large group attendees to pledge a deposit for their "space" at these events, I'll just add that when a large reservation is made, and in some cases, 20% of the group are "no shows" without communicating same, it's embarrassing to the organizers and costly to the restaurant...as all large "do" organizers are fully aware. For instance, at La Brigada, it's not that large of a place to begin with...an empty table of 4 going "unused" can cost them plenty unless walk in traffic fills it. Thus, while no one wants to impose deposits, as Chris puts it so well, this new policy will help to ensure that the "commited" numbers more closely match the "attending" event numbers. We hope past and future attendees will also understand and support this idea.

That said, I think I'm going to head down on Thursday next year and get an extra day in EZE. Here's to all the best luck and good fortune in the world to Alejandro and his wife as they eagerly await the arrival of Juan Francisco into the world
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:57 am

Day Trip Post

Here I will keep a list of those wanting to do day trips.

Sunday to Colonia del Sacramento (Uruguay): See Post #9 by Tazi. She is running with this one.

Also would like to post here people staying later or arriving earlier who wish to meet up.

List to come as people confirm.

We are there until Thursday morning the 4th.

Here is some "Other food options" that come recommended by various people to hopefully offer you a break from the beef if you so desire.

Morelia for Pizza a la parrilla. its in Las Canitas (Baez 260 - Palermo). http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=447

While Morelia is a great place... it must be said that they are a 'copycat' of sorts, since the original creators of the concept of pizza a-la-parrilla were these guys....
1893 Pizza & Pasta
Scalabrini Ortiz, Av. 701
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel: 4773-2951

Pura Tierra

Last edited by tenmoc; Aug 26, 2008 at 6:39 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:05 am
cpx

Programs: Many
count me interested.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:05 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You know I'm interested!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Interested.

What precluded this past year for me was flight schedules that couldn't get me back in the office in time on Tuesday morning. But, with AA's new ORD-EZE service in full-swing by then, it's definitely more plausible.

Whilst I couldn't get myself down there by Friday night, I'll likely wander over to El Establo at some point during the weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.