Wiki Posts
Search

A few updates.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2004, 4:51 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

A few updates.....

We have decided to implement a couple of changes to help manage the continued growth of FlyerTalk. Here are the changes:

- OMNI posts will no longer count toward a member's total post count. FlyerTalk's original mission and intent was to serve as a place where frequent travelers could exchange, in a positive manner, information and opinions about frequent flyer miles and points and the greater topic of travel. This is still our mission and we want to acknowledge those members who contribute to making FlyerTalk the leading online community of frequent travelers. OMNI, as many of you know, is more of a member requested sideline, and while it serves to build community bonds, it certainly veers from the core FlyerTalk topics.

- As we have in OMNI and The Coupon Connection, we are now requiring a minimum of 100 posts to gain posting admittance to the S.P.A.M. forum. Again, our hope is to channel positive participation into the mission of FlyerTalk, as well as continue to offer some of these other value-added forums to those who are actively involved in the topic of miles, points and travel.

I fully understand that these changes may be an inconvenience to a very small number of our members and would like to apologize up front to those who are displeased. However, I do hope that you also appreciate that FlyerTalk remains committed to its roots and I would ask that members understand we will never be all things to everyone - but when it comes to the topic of frequent flyer miles and points and to a lesser degree, travel, we do want to be your number one destination on the Internet.

Thanks for your time and continued support of FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Randy,

Thanks for making Flyertalk the place to talk miles, points, and etc. ^

Dan
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Randy, I think this is a good development. I expect to be properly chagrined about the change in my own post count

Sociologically speaking, I will be quite interested to see how this will impact OMNI.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Thanks for the heads up, Randy. ^

For anyone wondering, it seems that
(1) Post counts have not been reduced downward to remove posts made in OMNI
(2) This change has already started, and OMNI posts are not increasing post count.

At least those are the results of my observations thus far...
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Well done! ^ I think these changes are for the better. Keep up the good work.

Now, you may want to consider not counting posts in the Only Randy Peterson forum toward FTers totals as well.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:47 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I do like the move, however, Randy, can you increase my PM inbox size to 1,000,000 messages, I believe that during the next few days I am going to get plenty of them

Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thumbs up Thanks!

^ ^ ^

(As one of those who suggested this change, I'm not biased or anything. )
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:11 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks very much, Randy, for once again taking the time and spending the effort to help try to make Flyertalk an increasingly better place!

Now, if we could only drop the concept of "post count" entirely!

-Mark
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

It will be interesting to see how many regular Omni-posters read Community. So far, have not noticed any reaction over on Omni.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
It will be interesting to see how many regular Omni-posters read Community. So far, have not noticed any reaction over on Omni.
I was thinking the same thing Let's not tell...
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:43 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Wow, I didn't know anyone paid attention to post counts (aside from the 1,000 post, 2,000 post boundaries, etc.). But, just the same, i've seen this on other boards, and np.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Good idea!
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:19 pm

Well, it's all relative anyway.
I've done a fair amount of posting in OMNI but I don't just stay over there.

And one thing that has made FlyerTalk much more interesting since the new software is the "New Posts" link. I love it. There are intersting posts in forums (fora?) that I might never visit. Other airline programs, etc.

Anyway, thanks for a great site that we all value.
Rita
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Just want to thank you for my #1 favorite forum! Cheers!
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Mahalo nui loa for the great changes of both S.P.A.M. and OMNI. I look forward to what other things Flyertalk will have to offer in the future!

aloha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.