Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IP Logging: Sad Old Gits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2000, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

IP Logging: Sad Old Gits

I am very pleased to have my IP logged, if it will stop some of the sad old gits who seem to lurk around these boards from posting such drivel. As fast as you get rid of them, they pop up again under another pseudonym.

Thus, offenders will have their cards marked and be banished. I doubt if they have any friends, so it will be difficult for them to borrow someone else's computer and cause more trouble, and as for posting from their work computer, I wonder if they have a life, let alone a job!
Old Dec 13, 2000, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
I have remained silent on the entire issue with the exception of a brief chat about it on FT live last night.

I am personally offended by your comment. I have a life, I have a job, I sometimes read this board and post from work.

The next step is for someone to judge what I have to say is drivel and boot me from the board.

This needs to stop before it really gets started..... for real.

IMHO

[This message has been edited by Tolarian Wind (edited 12-13-2000).]
Old Dec 13, 2000, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Well I for one thank Tolarian Wind for what he posted last night on chat. I think it led to something positive for FT.

Have a look at the UA and the Community boards. The tone has improved considerably already.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Dec 13, 2000, 5:41 pm

Programs: United 1P
Perhaps think of IP mapping as asking for your ID before you can give a speech in public.
Old Dec 13, 2000, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
The nice thing about the free world is that I dont have to give my ID before I get on my soapbox at speakers corner.

TW
Old Dec 13, 2000, 5:54 pm

Programs: United 1P
Exactly. But do they take your soapbox registration number ? Or can they take a photo of your soapbox without your explicit permission ?
Old Dec 13, 2000, 6:03 pm

We can debate the semantics till the earth stops spinning. I just think that we as a community have taken the first step towards censorship.

Communities can self police if the group as a hole is willing. If people were able to hold their tounge the offenders would either go away or reform. Most people get tired of speaking to nobody after awhile.

Where will the line be drawn and who will draw it? Who will be right and who will be wrong? What will be considered a post that is worthy and what is drivel? At what point will someone be banned? If a person is banned and they change ISP's and assume a new identity how will we know? Who will accuse the person of being someone else hiding behind a different provider? Who will discover the truth?

Once it starts it is very hard to stop.

Just my simple thoughts on the issue of censorship of any kind.

TW
Old Dec 13, 2000, 6:49 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"We can debate the semantics till the earth stops spinning. I just think that we as a community have taken the first step towards censorship.

Communities can self police if the group as a hole is willing. If people were able to hold their tounge the offenders would either go away or reform. Most people get tired of speaking to nobody after awhile.

Where will the line be drawn and who will draw it? Who will be right and who will be wrong? What will be considered a post that is worthy and what is drivel? At what point will someone be banned? If a person is banned and they change ISP's and assume a new identity how will we know? Who will accuse the person of being someone else hiding behind a different provider? Who will discover the truth?

Once it starts it is very hard to stop.

Just my simple thoughts on the issue of censorship of any kind.

TW"

------

Absolutely!

Old Dec 13, 2000, 7:49 pm
Original Member

Though I detest what you say, I shall defend to the death your right to say it.

Djlawman (with apologies to Voltaire!)
Old Dec 13, 2000, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I have no problem being 'logged.'

I'm a good boy who has nothing to hide. It's only a small group that spoils it for the rest of us.

I think you should always think before you really (immaturely) bash someone. And if you have to be critical, do it constructively. We'll all be glad you did.

I'm making a general statement and in no way am I referring to anyone posting here or on the other thread. I hope this is clear.

Dan

[This message has been edited by dhammer53 (edited 12-13-2000).]
Old Dec 13, 2000, 8:53 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
I'm being logged.....cool.....now they can track me to my lair!
Old Dec 14, 2000, 6:46 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
OK, ok--call me computer illiterate, but I don't know what 'ip logged' means!! But since I'm not involved in any of the stuff that seems to have caused the problem (I hope) it's fine with me.
Old Dec 14, 2000, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Tolarian Wind:

You should not be offended by my remarks as they do not refer to you, unless you are responsible for posting spurious personalised attacks and drivel under various pseudonyms on these boards.

If you are, then I am afraid you must be a sad old git.
Old Dec 14, 2000, 8:48 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia (in a bin at the back of a Supermarket)
(Deleted because of a double post...)

[This message has been edited by Zanadou (edited 12-14-2000).]
Old Dec 14, 2000, 8:51 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia (in a bin at the back of a Supermarket)
What about people like me on dial up lines with dynamic IPs? How can you identify people like that?

Also with some users (like academic and people like me), use proxy servers... that's the only IP you'll get.

Just my .2 AU cents...

---&gt;Zanadou!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.