Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Asia June 2016 on miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Red face Getting to Asia June 2016 on miles

Hi all,

My family and I are headed to Asia next summer for a cruise, and we'd like to get there on miles. In business class.

I've been plotting things out with United, but realized maybe another airline is the way to go.

Details:

Depart SFO (or OAK, SAC, etc.) to Singapore around 6/10/16 (cruise departs Singapore on 6/12/16... ends in Tianjin near Beijing on 6/24/16). Then fly from either Beijing, Xian, or Shanghai around 6/27/16 to Seoul, Korea. Then fly from Seoul back to SFO on around 6/30/16. The dates are somewhat flexible -- but we can't miss the cruise or leave Beijing before the cruise ends.

My husband and I have a fair number of miles on United -- may have to buy some via Award Accelerator to cover us plus our sons.

My parents and my brother's family have miles from their Chase Sapphire Preferred card, but can transfer those to other airlines, too (we have some of these, too).

So, I was planning to do a combo of Chase Sapphire points transferred as miles, existing miles, and Award Accelerator purchase to get Saver Business Class tickets for our trip.

But perhaps there's a better way to go about this? Another airline perhaps?

Any and all thoughts welcome!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:03 am
Suspended

Sounds like you could transfer miles from Chase UR to Singapore Airlines (SFO to SIN). You need to check if they have business class availability before you transfer though.

For the return journey, you could transfer miles from Chase UR to Korean Air and fly Korean Air back home.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Great idea!

Do you know if I have to join their FF plans to check awards availability? My quick look on their websites indicates yes...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter
Great idea!

Do you know if I have to join their FF plans to check awards availability? My quick look on their websites indicates yes...
Yes. You could use Expert Flyer to check for Singapore Award availability but it won't tell you if its at the saver rate. You need the saver rate for the awards to make sense, otherwise there is no point.

If you tell me specific flight date and # of people, I could check for you.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

We're somewhat flexible on dates:

SFO to SIN for 5 between 6/8-6/11
and SEA to SIN for 3 on same dates

and then Seoul to SFO on around 6/28-7/1 for 5
and Seoul to SEA for 3 on the same dates.

Thanks!!!!!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:48 am
Suspended

Thanks!

We're somewhat flexible on dates:

SFO to SIN for 5 between 6/8-6/11
and SEA to SIN for 3 on same dates

and then Seoul to SFO on around 6/28-7/1 for 5
and Seoul to SEA for 3 on the same dates.

Thanks!!!!!
Yea unfortunately for the SFO to SIN, there is no availability. It's all waitlist. Even if you did waitlist, you'd be lucky to get 1 seat, max 2. I can't imagine a scenario where all 5 people would get to fly Singapore Business Saver awards. Couples complain about difficulty getting 2 seats at times, though it's possible if you book far enough in advance.

If all 8 people want to fly business to SIN, you would likely need to transfer points into different programs where people board different airlines/flights and then you all can meet up in SIN.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Yea unfortunately for the SFO to SIN, there is no availability. It's all waitlist. Even if you did waitlist, you'd be lucky to get 1 seat, max 2. I can't imagine a scenario where all 5 people would get to fly Singapore Business Saver awards. Couples complain about difficulty getting 2 seats at times, though it's possible if you book far enough in advance.

If all 8 people want to fly business to SIN, you would likely need to transfer points into different programs where people board different airlines/flights and then you all can meet up in SIN.
Darn.

Yeah, we could split up by family (3-2-3). Thanks for checking for us.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Also remember the time & date difference between SFO & SIN. If you take the 01:30 SQ flight on 6/10 you arrive late morning of 6/11, but if you take the 14:00 SQ flight you get in midday 6/12.

Other options are BR, CA, OZ, NH.

If I were leaving on a cruise I would plan to arrive at least a day early if not more to tour Singapore and adjust to the time difference.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Also remember the time & date difference between SFO & SIN. If you take the 01:30 SQ flight on 6/10 you arrive late morning of 6/11, but if you take the 14:00 SQ flight you get in midday 6/12.

Other options are BR, CA, OZ, NH.

If I were leaving on a cruise I would plan to arrive at least a day early if not more to tour Singapore and adjust to the time difference.
I agree. We want to get there a day or two early to adjust, but only have so much vacation time and we want to spend more of it in China and Korea, so it's a trade-off. And we want to get business saver tickets, so I'm trying to be flexible.

What are BR, CA, OZ, NH? I'm a newbie
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
BR=Eva Air via TPE
CA= Air China
OZ= Asiana
NH= ANA

They're all UA/Star Alliance partners with many routes to potentially find saver award tickets on.

Under the help tab at the top of the screen there is a glossary link. It has a lot of the shorthand that is used on here. I spent a lot of time going there when I was new.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:09 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Yes. You could use Expert Flyer to check for Singapore Award availability but it won't tell you if its at the saver rate. You need the saver rate for the awards to make sense, otherwise there is no point.

If you tell me specific flight date and # of people, I could check for you.
ExpertFlyer only shows partner level/saver award inventory for SQ.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
BR=Eva Air via TPE
CA= Air China
OZ= Asiana
NH= ANA

They're all UA/Star Alliance partners with many routes to potentially find saver award tickets on.

Under the help tab at the top of the screen there is a glossary link. It has a lot of the shorthand that is used on here. I spent a lot of time going there when I was new.
Here's the direct link to FT Glossary & better to keep it handy: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
Here's the direct link to FT Glossary & better to keep it handy: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

BR=Eva Air via TPE
CA= Air China
OZ= Asiana
NH= ANA

Got it. So, should they show up on the UA search or is there more availability if I go to their website?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it. So, should they show up on the UA search or is there more availability if I go to their website?
As you have UA miles currency you can only book by web or phone direct with UA.
What you see on other airlines web site may/may not be available to UA freq flyers.
The UA forum may have info about booking with UA ff partners. Unsure about UA, but with some ffps all partners awards are not on line.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ster-wiki.html

As you dates are some what fixed be prepared to pay cash for some (all?) of your group.
For awards (or paid fares) be prepared to fly on different days and/or routes and/or split your group.
It can be something like:-
1 long haul business award on a fixed date is hard
2 long haul business awards on a fixed date on the same aircraft is 4 times as hard (2 squared)
3 long haul business awards on a fixed date on the same aircraft is 9 times as hard (3 squared) [may never happen]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.