Reload this Page >

Cow Do XI (EZE) - Sep 04 to Sep 07th, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Signed in members with 90 days and 90 posts can edit this wikipost.

List of FTers interested / confirmed - updated as of March 10, 2015:

Interested: 15

Austin787
DLroads
JDiver
msvacation
Marambio
pbjag
penegal
Ysolde + 1
Paul + 1
RafKa
Tuchop
Viajero Millero

Confirmed: 17
will1408
Calchas: Intercontinental 03 Sept to 08 Sept. Everything but the Monday tasting.
centxwx
rbAA AA 953 Sat 9:43am; Park Hyatt; AA954 Tues 9:30pm NOTE: see post 256 for the Sunday dinner options
iolairemcfadden + 1 (Susan); Hotel Impala/Sissi Haz Hotel Boutique; 10 AM Fri - 9 PM Tues, (all except iolaire will miss welcome lunch)
CubsGirl inbound flight tbd; Park Hyatt; in for Friday dinner and all Saturday events. Likely to go to El Establo for Sunday dinner.
FlyingCow + 1 (FlyingToro)
BDA Shorts; flying in early; apartment in Belgrano; all events + hosting SABRE demo
mad4miles + mad Jr. Arrive Friday AM, Park Hyatt, Friday dinner, Other plans of Saturday, up for Sunday dinner at El Establo
MsEverywhere + DONS999; AA909 Fri 8:18am; Plaza Hotel; AA900 Mon 8:00pm; all Fri/Sat/Mon events including SABRE
MSPeconomist Arrive Thursday morning, depart Monday night (DL through ATL), Park Hyatt, Dinner Friday, Wine tasting, lunch, and dinner Saturday, Probably dinner Sunday (depending on plans), Wine tasting Monday.
chrisphx
Gaucho100K
Print Wikipost

Cow Do XI (EZE) - Sep 04 to Sep 07th, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Forgot to ask...... did anybody catch a glimpse of el famoso Hiddy at any of the events so far....?

I guess we can hope for a surprise appearance for the Monday Wine Tasting..????
Far too busy working out in the field today......basking in the sun more like.

Three large ant nests had to be exterminated.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:56 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
So Folks... last "official" day of this 2015 Cow Do. Look forward to meeting everybody at the Wine Tasting today.... ^
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
That ojo de bife we had last night was by far the best steak we've had so far this trip. Great choice, rbAA!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
I will see everyone at 2pm today.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not everyone. After yet another big dinner, I will be skipping lunch. Enjoy!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
That was close..... massive traffic disruptions this morning for those of us coming in from the Northern suburbs of Buenos Aires. Luckily I was able to activate contingency plans and Im already here @Marieta.

Looking forward to meeting those attending the Wine Tasting.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

The Wine Tasting group will be heading out to La Dorita a little earlier than planned, we should be there shortly before 200PM, depending on what traffic permits.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Arrived at La Dorita.....
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Arrived at EZE a while ago, and happily camped out infhe Centurion lounge but thinking about moving either to the gate or to the AR inferior lounge next door.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

With the Do having come to an official close with today's lunch @La Dorita, I just wanted to take the chance to say THANK YOU to everybody that came down this year !!!

Hope everybody had a good time and look forward to seeing everybody back here in 2016 !!!!!! ^

Cheers from EZE,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Thanks to everyone - especially Alex - for another great Do! Hope those who left had safe flights back home and that everyone is recovering from the massive amounts of dead cow and Malbec

Already looking forward to Cow Do XII
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Flor !!!!! ^

It was a pleasure having you and Flying Toro !!!

Hope to see you in 2016....

Originally Posted by FlyingCow
Thanks to everyone - especially Alex - for another great Do! Hope those who left had safe flights back home and that everyone is recovering from the massive amounts of dead cow and Malbec

Already looking forward to Cow Do XII
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
We had a great time! It was good to see my old friends and meet some new ones.

Alex, you asked us for feedback on the venues. If I had started at the beginning of the trip, I would have been more diligent.

Fri: Don Julio
It was handy having Flying Cow to help us negotiate accommodating us without a reservation. Alex, I recommend in the future you double check and triple check, or give one or more of us the phone #s, name, and count so we can check ourselves.

Our bife de chorizo steak was OK, but not nearly as good as Fervor Sunday night.

Sat: Marieta
The downstairs meeting room was perfect, and having lunch following the tasting was very convenient. I recommend that for future.

I'm sure most of their food was excellent, but after the snacks during wine tasting, we weren't very hungry.

Sun: Fervor
We had the ojo de bife, and it was outstanding! However, to be fair to Don Julio, I wonder if the comparison may have been affected by:
  • Friday was different cut of steak, my favorite ojo de bife was at Fervor
  • Fri night at Don Julio our group was larger so maybe steak cooled while assembling the rest of the order
  • Fri Don Julio was extremely busy, so kitchen and wait staff were busier
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback on the food & the venues.....

If other participants could also post their feedback that would be great !!!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:49 pm

Seeing a cable TV feature on eating in Argentina reminded me that I still hadn't posted my feedback here. I've been procrastinating in the hope of being able to say more by way of comparisons.

First of all, once again thanks very very very very very very much to Gaucho100K for everything. Thanks also to Flying Cow for help with translating, negotiating a lost reservation, navigating, and leading our Saturday night post-dinner stroll and pub crawl.

I was very happy with all of the meals I attended. I managed to get my cow nice and very rare at every meal this year, so I was happy. In fact, I'm hard pressed to make a definitive ranking between Don Julio and La Dorita; I think of them as being very similar. [I do suspect that I might have been given the wrong cut of beef at Don Julio but I'm not sure and it was very good.] However, would it make sense to use a different La Dorita location, such as the one in Recoleta even if it isn't the original one, in order to be closer to hotels for lunch on the day that some people are rushing off to the airport?

I liked doing the wine tastings (or maybe at least one of them, as it could have been fun to go to a different location for those of us who participated in both) at Marieta. It's a great space and they supplied good snacks to go with the wine. Lunch was good, but I might have appreciated the Marieta lunch on a different day from our dinner at Pura Tierra as the food is similar in style. This isn't surprising since there's a connection between the two restaurants, IIRC with Marieta being run by the former chef at Pura Tierra. I like Pura Tierra because it's a good opportunity to experience local upscale creative cuisine and it's a break from lots of dead cow at almost every meal, although by our relatively early dinner there this year I felt I had already overeaten to the max with a Park Hyatt breakfast followed by snacks during the tasting and then lunch at Marieta. [The Grill at Puerto Madera is similar to Pura Tierra in some ways, but to me seems to focus more on upscale dead cow and has a pretty location but a less interesting interior.]

In fact, I guess I'm converging on making one concrete suggestion to have the Marieta lunch on Monday rather than Saturday, keeping the Pura Tierra dinner on Saturday. This would also mean a slightly lighter/faster/earlier lunch for those flying out Monday night, which would also be a good thing IMO. Saturday could then be a casual dead cow lunch, or perhaps Fervor for those who might want fish.

I'm glad we went to Fervor Sunday night (which is a good thing since I am to blame for suggesting the place) but in retrospect it might have been better if our group had been split into two tables, partly to make conversation easier. Deciding and ordering seemed chaotic, yet only a few people had input into the communal items like appetizers, vegetables, and wine. (IMO too much food was ordered and the meal seemed expensive compared to Don Julio/La Dorita, but I guess it's in a more expensive neighborhood and we did seem to have a lot more food.) However, I do need to give the restaurant lots of credit for putting up with our group. OTOH, Sunday might not be the best day to go here as they had very few fish and seafood choices available. [Do fish markets and fishing boats not work on Sunday in Argentina?]

Some people were talking about going to El Establo. I don't know whether that happened, but I had an excellent Sunday night dinner there last year. It seems to be on the corner of two small streets in the old downtown area and I liked the style of it looking like a stable with some obviously long-standing regular local customers. It was easy even though we didn't speak Spanish.

BTW, the Travel Network cable television show on eating in Buenos Aires was hosted by my almost neighbor (I sometimes see him in my grocery store) adventurous foodie Andrew Zimmern. It started off at Don Julio, although on TV the tables looked much farther apart. Then he talked about weekends on ranches outside of town and their barbecues. Back in the city, he visited a real hole in the wall called something like La Estancia in Palermo. The half hour finished at a pastry cafe called Juan Pablo located in (Palermo) Soho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.