Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
Official Capt. Denny CLE Do Wiki

Date: Saturday, April 26th 2014 7pm

Locale: Great Lakes Brewery (The Beer Cellar area)

Hasitly put together by: CleUnited (with input and major encouragement provided by Capt. Denny and the lovely FlyerTalkers) (<- Sounds like a fun band name, no?)

Attending:
The man himself- Captain Denny +2
CleUnited (possible +1)
TAHKUCT +2
Surface Interval
Billiken
trm2
Buckeyefanflyer
goodeats21
canadiancow
steve64
yul36
RNE + TSMRSRNE
cawhite
Bthumme
ctownflyer
scracer14

Maybe:
Pat89339
coplatua1k +1
beachgirl1111

Regretfuls:
mrs. trm2
PV_Premier (pending)
coachrowsey
Willie
Print Wikipost

Captain Denny Do - Cleveland CLE area - Saturday April 26, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I will probably drive up pretty early on Saturday if anyone either:

*Has a good idea or recommendation for a way to pass some time in the area.

I have a room at the Marriott Downtown at Key Center for Saturday night....
What are your interests? If you will have a car, you can see a lot of things in Cleveland.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Varied interests. Not really into seeing R&R Hall of Fame though.

Any other good beer / brewery places worth a visit, maybe for lunch or an afternoon drink? Any funky/fun restaurants of note?

Ideally in the same area of hotel / GL brew house so I don't have to worry about driving around.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Like football? The Football Hall of Fame is an hour away in Canton.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I will probably drive up pretty early on Saturday if anyone either:

*Wants to get together for a "before DO" drink

or

*Has a good idea or recommendation for a way to pass some time in the area.

I have a room at the Marriott Downtown at Key Center for Saturday night....
I just booked a room at the same place, and if I make it, I'll likely be getting in early Saturday morning, so I'd be up for lunch or whatever.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
First time poster but long time lurker in the Cleveland area, and I would love to come. This would be my first DO,

Since I haven't posted before I'll introduce myself. I'm a 30 year old grad student at University of Akron in their Masters in Tax program (Undergrad at Baldwin Wallace in Berea).

I got the bug for flying in high school because my parents lived on opposite sides of the US (CLE and SFO). By the time I was 18 I had over 300,000 lifetime UA miles and had probably walked from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 in ORD 500 times. Since then airports and the airplane seats have always just felt like home.

Recently I got the bug for non-traditional vacation spots while studying abroad in Southeast Asia. I just got back from a week in Istanbul, and I have trips to Pamplona, Spain in July, and South Korea and Vietnam set up for September. After that I start work in Tax Accounting so travel will be somewhat limited.

Looking forward to meeting all of you, and contributing to these forums when I can!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scracer14
First time poster but long time lurker in the Cleveland area, and I would love to come. This would be my first DO,

Since I haven't posted before I'll introduce myself. I'm a 30 year old grad student at University of Akron in their Masters in Tax program (Undergrad at Baldwin Wallace in Berea).

I got the bug for flying in high school because my parents lived on opposite sides of the US (CLE and SFO). By the time I was 18 I had over 300,000 lifetime UA miles and had probably walked from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 in ORD 500 times. Since then airports and the airplane seats have always just felt like home.

Recently I got the bug for non-traditional vacation spots while studying abroad in Southeast Asia. I just got back from a week in Istanbul, and I have trips to Pamplona, Spain in July, and South Korea and Vietnam set up for September. After that I start work in Tax Accounting so travel will be somewhat limited.

Looking forward to meeting all of you, and contributing to these forums when I can!
Welcome to FT! At least the posting part
Do feel free to edit the Wiki and add your name to the list. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

SI
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:32 pm

Varied interests. Not really into seeing R&R Hall of Fame though.

Any other good beer / brewery places worth a visit, maybe for lunch or an afternoon drink? Any funky/fun restaurants of note?

Ideally in the same area of hotel / GL brew house so I don't have to worry about driving around.
When you said funky / fun I immediately thought of Melt Bar and Grilled in Lakewood. They have world famous grilled cheese but there tends to be a significant wait around dinner time. Going mid afternoon may be an option. The Winking Lizard is always good too, they have some 100 beers at any given time, and the one in Lakewood has a craft beer store and whiskey bar downstairs.

I live right by Fat Head's Brewery in North Olmsted Ohio (20 minuted from Great Lakes). They have some great food and beer as well.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:18 pm

Okay I'm in.

I'm booked on SFO-PIT-ORD-CLE (sigh) in F. Hopefully something better opens up

I arrive at 1125 on Saturday, then hopefully others will be around for lunch.

I'm staying at the Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center.

Return flights are not booked yet, but it's looking like a Sunday 0630 departure from CLE-YYZ, and then either spend the day in YYZ, or fly up to YOW and spend it there. Then back to SFO in the evening!

I've done less brutal mileage runs
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay I'm in.

I'm booked on SFO-PIT-ORD-CLE (sigh) in F. Hopefully something better opens up

I arrive at 1125 on Saturday, then hopefully others will be around for lunch.

I'm staying at the Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center.

Return flights are not booked yet, but it's looking like a Sunday 0630 departure from CLE-YYZ, and then either spend the day in YYZ, or fly up to YOW and spend it there. Then back to SFO in the evening!

I've done less brutal mileage runs
PIT to downtown Cleveburgh is only about a 2hr drive . . .
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CMK10
Like football? The Football Hall of Fame is an hour away in Canton.
Not a big football fan...at least not the American version
But thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I just booked a room at the same place, and if I make it, I'll likely be getting in early Saturday morning, so I'd be up for lunch or whatever.
Great. Let me know if you have any preference for location(s). Scracer14 has posted some options that look good. I will have a car, so if we have to drive somewhere, I can (reluctantly) limit myself to a just couple of beers.

For the CLE area folks...are any of these easily reachable via public transport? (Fat Head, Winking Lizard, Melt)

Welcome to FlyerTalk ! Great to have you participating. Let us know if you are interested in hanging out before the official DO at Great Lakes.

And thanks for your lunch/bar suggestions. They look like a lot of fun.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Welcome to FT! At least the posting part
Do feel free to edit the Wiki and add your name to the list. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

SI
I don't think I can edit the wiki because I do not have enough posts. If someone could add me and a "possible +1" that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 am

Not a big football fan...at least not the

For the CLE area folks...are any of these easily reachable via public transport? (Fat Head, Winking Lizard, Melt)

Welcome to FlyerTalk ! Great to have you participating. Let us know if you are interested in hanging out before the official DO at Great Lakes.

And thanks for your lunch/bar suggestions. They look like a lot of fun.
Unfortunately the Cleveland metro is very limited. There is a Winking Lizard in Downtown Cleveland. The one downtown doesn't have the Whiskey Bar, or Lizzardville (Craft beer store with several hundred selections) but it does have a similar beer menu in the restaurant.

Both Melt and the Lakewood Winking Lizard are near each other on the same street. In theory Melt > Lizard > GL Brewery would make for a good Saturday afternoon. All three are on the same street and within 20 minutes drive of each other.

If you guys want the company I would love to join. I can also drive one other person if need be.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
PIT to downtown Cleveburgh is only about a 2hr drive . . .
Oh, believe me, I looked at a map. I'm still hoping SFO-ORD will open up, or at least that I'll be able to do a same day change, or even standby.

But SFO-PIT-ORD-CLE is the same number of miles as just SFO-PIT, and doesn't require renting a car or some other form of transportation.

I don't think I can edit the wiki because I do not have enough posts. If someone could add me and a "possible +1" that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Done.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Ok. I'm in

Not arriving until 3pm Saturday. I'm at the Hyatt Arcade and right just plan on using the Red Line Train to/from the airport. From the website, it looks as if the weekend skeds have the trains every 15 minutes.

Last edited by steve64; Apr 16, 2014 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:13 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
It's great to see many more people signing up. It will be two firsts for me as well, hosting a DO and attending a DO. Sorry for lack of responses abd updates. Just celebrated my birthday and filling out sone of the RIF paperwork this past weekend and trying to keep a clear head about me to choose the right path. More paperwork to continue this week and possible new station placement a few days after the DO. I'll share more at the DO when I get to meet you all..

Cheers,
CLE

P.S. It was brought to my attention recently I am the youngest agent at CLE despite me having more seniority than a few others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.