Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austin Mega Do 3.0: Do Harder - February 20-23, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by SQ421
Just stumbled across this thread while looking up Austin related stuff on FT. Sounds like a cracker of a 'Do.

Myself, penegal and a couple of other FTers (whom paranoiatx may or may not remember from Tokyo last year) will be in Austin for three short days (22-25 April) right after Japan-Do, thanks to a short lived Colombo-Jumbo. If nothing else, this thread will give us ideas of where to drink and eat in your fair city.

Will certainly post a thread closer to the date to organise a quasi-impromptu pissup in Austin
I will likely be flying out on the 24th, but that still leaves some time to meet-up. Definitely shoot me a note and we'll set something up, even if things are somewhat quiet mid-week.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Polomarc
What a mega collection (the bottle that says Republic something, what is that looks very nice??)

Wish I could come one day to a TX DO. The state is special since its the first place in the US I went to for my exchange year
All the main liquors are top-notch spirits from central TX, except of course the tequila, which by definition cannot be. However, quality tequila is so much part of Austin drinking culture that we couldn't leave it out either. That particular one, Republic Tequila comes in the TX-shaped bottle, so we felt it was a suitable choice.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
Any updates on the Franklin BBQ waitlist?
The Magic 8-Ball says: Outlook not so good

Demand for Franklin was insanely high (for obvious reasons) and sold out in 6 minutes flat. The initial waitlist was about 40 people long and trust me we are squeezing every last possible person we can into what is not a large venue. While we have managed to clear a number of those people due to cancellations, if you have not heard from us at this point, it's unlikely to happen.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by Polomarc
What a mega collection (the bottle that says Republic something, what is that looks very nice??)

Wish I could come one day to a TX DO. The state is special since its the first place in the US I went to for my exchange year
We also have our own toast.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:44 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Stumbled upon this, while trying to organize a meet up of FTer's in Austin.. din know this was happening, would have loved to come for this.. darn my luck..

for anyone who is in town on 22nd-23rd, I am planning to organize a random meet up.. everyone's invited.. will set up a thread and post details soon..
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
Stumbled upon this, while trying to organize a meet up of FTer's in Austin.. din know this was happening, would have loved to come for this.. darn my luck..

for anyone who is in town on 22nd-23rd, I am planning to organize a random meet up.. everyone's invited.. will set up a thread and post details soon..
We'll be going out after our LIVESTRONG event on the 22nd and you're welcome to join us for that.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One week out! The website (https://www.ausmegado.com) has a bunch of details and updates that everyone should be aware of. Here's the cliff notes version:

• Make sure you pick up and keep your ID badge with you, as it has a barcode that will be scanned for access to some events.
  • The SPG reception will start at 5:30PM.
  • Twitter contest with the welcome image on the video wall at the airport.
  • We've got nifty raffle prizes.

Fill in the blanks at the website.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Reminders if you haven't seen the website, Facebook, or Twitter:

BBQ Thursday @ Stiles Switch starts around 11:15AM or so. Earlier is better as the lunch line gets rather long.

Also, the event on Saturday at the Alamo Drafthouse starts at 10:30AM instead of 10AM. Extra half hour of sleep for everyone.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't know if I posted this and am too lazy to search but we are arriving AUS at about 4PM on the DL flight from ATL.

If anyone is in the airport at that time and would like a ride to the Sheraton, drop me a PM so we can make a meet.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monitor
I don't know if I posted this and am too lazy to search but we are arriving AUS at about 4PM on the DL flight from ATL.

If anyone is in the airport at that time and would like a ride to the Sheraton, drop me a PM so we can make a meet.
What day?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mackieman
What day?
Thursday.

One of these days I will learn to re-read posts before I hit the button.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Have I missed it...or so there a wiki somewhere with people who might be staying at other than the Sheraton?

Also, anyone coming in on Wednesday? I arrive at 3...contemplating a car but, holy moly, they are quite expensive! I need to do some more code searching!

Anyhow...will be around Thursday....learning my way around a bit...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miffSC
Have I missed it...or so there a wiki somewhere with people who might be staying at other than the Sheraton?

Also, anyone coming in on Wednesday? I arrive at 3...contemplating a car but, holy moly, they are quite expensive! I need to do some more code searching!

Anyhow...will be around Thursday....learning my way around a bit...
I don't have those details, though I do know a few folks are over at the Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Place, but there is a decent contingent at the Sheraton.

The taxes on car rentals at AUS are quite insane, so you may consider taking the bus or a taxi into the city and then renting a car at one of the local installations; there's an Avis and a Hertz very close to the Sheraton.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by miffSC
I'm staying at the Radisson Friday to Sunday.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Mackieman
I don't have those details, though I do know a few folks are over at the Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Place, but there is a decent contingent at the Sheraton.

The taxes on car rentals at AUS are quite insane, so you may consider taking the bus or a taxi into the city and then renting a car at one of the local installations; there's an Avis and a Hertz very close to the Sheraton.

Yea, take the Airport Flyer Bus (100?) to downtown (4th/Trinity), which is by the convention center... but if you're trying to get to the Sheraton, you can probably stay on it until you hit 11th and Trinity (you'll have to ask the bus driver) then walk two blocks to the hotel

http://www.capmetro.org/schedulemap.aspx?f1=100&s=1&d=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.