StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It fascinates me how in some parts of the US, "BBQ" is a noun and not a verb.

I guess I'll be one of those tourists who sort of sticks out in Houston.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
So when does the attendee list get updated? Sounds like Starwood Lurker will be there, but he's not on the list. I signed up on June 27, and my name isn't on the list either.

Looking forward to my first Mega Do!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by margarita girl
So when does the attendee list get updated? Sounds like Starwood Lurker will be there, but he's not on the list. I signed up on June 27, and my name isn't on the list either.

Looking forward to my first Mega Do!
Oliver is updating the participants list, we are also updating the first few posts after the meeting with the Star partners and Starwood tomorrow.

We will also send an email update with various things tomorrow.

The charter sale has actually picked up the last couple of days, so if you plan to join the fun, it's probably smart to sign up as soon as possible.

And no, we are not inviting Steven Slater to the SMD, but there will be some interesting people coming.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Q1: we have a meeting with the DO sponsors (UA, CO, LH, SPG etc) so will give you feedback or rather ask for clarification.

Q2: yes, no one will be axed for not responding within hours. Ask the participants of SMD1 and you will see how flexible we were. However don't bank on flexibility, many FTers pushed the limits and this time we will be firmer.

Q3: no we will not ask bmi DC for mileage credit for various reasons. Last year a third of the participant credited there, and BD gained nothing of the event. The credit came about because they had offered a A332 for charter which fell thru later and the FFP miles were a small sorry note.
Thanks so much for the quick response, Oliver.

I will stay tuned RE questions 1 & 2, and fully understand the bmi situation now.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by tommy777
And no, we are not inviting Steven Slater to the SMD, but there will be some interesting people coming.
But if he signs up and pays his own way, you'll let him come, right?

We don't need Steven Slater. We already have at least one participant who knows how to deploy and slide down the emergency exit chute.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Latest:

Code:
As of 2010-Aug-12-10:51:09
Total booked:	134
whY booked:	95
F booked:	39
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by RCyyz
It fascinates me how in some parts of the US, "BBQ" is a noun and not a verb.

I guess I'll be one of those tourists who sort of sticks out in Houston.
Technically speaking, it is an adjective describing a certain type of restaurant, but you are also correct in noting that in this vernacular it has become a noun to describe a certain style of cooking. But this applies to Australia as well as the USA (and Canada).
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
A couple of CO schedule changes that you might want to note:

1. CO47 from FRA-IAH on Nov 3 - the schedule has slipped by 20 minutes - so the flight now arrives at 7:15pm instead of 6:55pm. So cuts into Wed evening event even more.

2. CO regular flight from SEA-IAH which left at 11:45am on Saturday Nov 6 has been cancelled. This flight allowed for connections to evening flights from IAH-East Coast. Now only regular morning flights out of SEA at 6,7, 8am. I had considered this flight in lieu of the Charter return to allow more time in the morning - but that option is now gone. A one-way fare from SEA-IAH is $119+.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

To respond to Q1: CO47's delay has been noted, but the events on Wednesday evening are purposely low key to avoid burn out.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by cova
2. CO regular flight from SEA-IAH which left at 11:45am on Saturday Nov 6 has been cancelled. This flight allowed for connections to evening flights from IAH-East Coast. Now only regular morning flights out of SEA at 6,7, 8am. I had considered this flight in lieu of the Charter return to allow more time in the morning - but that option is now gone. A one-way fare from SEA-IAH is $119+.
It is not posted on the initial page of events but will the return Charter be departing from Paine or SEA? Will a bus be provided to whatever airport it is departing from the Westin on Saturday morning?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by oliver2002
To respond to Q1: CO47's delay has been noted, but the events on Wednesday evening are purposely low key to avoid burn out.
And to those of us *having* to fly on CO, because there aren't any LH flights to our home airports (ahem BRS), we'll just have to have an extra (premium) drink on the flight to make up for the 20 minutes we'll miss at the bar.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It is not posted on the initial page of events but will the return Charter be departing from Paine or SEA? Will a bus be provided to whatever airport it is departing from the Westin on Saturday morning?
I had earlier asked these same questions - and the response was - from Paine at 9am and there will be a bus. I was trying to avoid getting up early and for $1.50 you can take the train from the Westin to SEA.

I am reluctant at this point to book a late return from IAH-DCA on Sat evening with Charters having less firm schedules. So my plan is to get up early, take the charter, overnight at IAH (Saturday night rates are low at IAH), and fly home on Sunday. For Sat night - get gate pass and party at the PC!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:36 pm

I didn't see a link for the Seattle Westin--did I miss something or does the booking come with the charter?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

The IAH Sheraton link was released because we block booked the property as part of our FT Awards. The link(s) other hotel booking will be released later to thos who indicated they will stay a particular property.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I'm thinking about staying at the Westin Seattle, but I didn't put it on my original sign-up. Will you send the Westin link to all, or do I need to ask to be added to that list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.