Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002
As usual (atleast it was last year) you will be mailed a starwood link where you can book your room at the hotel you indicated you wanted to stay in. The bookings made there will be monitored by me to check if all is kosher. These bookings will show up in your spg profile and can be cancelled if required upto 3 days before arrival.
Actually, due to the high numbers of rooms needed, the Houston property has requested that we do a prepaid rate and that particular property you won't be able to cancel after you make the booking without penalty.

Ticketing, hotelbookings etc. will start soon. Stay tuned!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by chumbawumba
What deal? I have never heard, that the organizers promised something about SPG.

There are guys that do the best they can do for us. They are organizing this event.^^^^^^^^^
It was just a question. A legitimate one I thought at the time. It was not meant to be a whine or a complaint. I just sought clarification and it seems that I've been subsequently labeled as 'ungrateful' or the like.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by Renard
It was just a question. A legitimate one I thought at the time. It was not meant to be a whine or a complaint. I just sought clarification and it seems that I've been subsequently labeled as 'ungrateful' or the like.
Given SPG's well known and much discussed elsewhere unique perspective on what other hotel programs they consider to be "major", I too would appreciate some clarification.

That said, and if I may echo Renard's sentiment, my question is also not meant as a criticism of either SPG or the organizers.

Heck, I'm sure they gave as much info as is currently available and I do appreciate that heads up!

However, the sooner those details as to exactly which hotel programs qualify are available, the sooner I can assess whether I need to shift or add on some upcoming stays to ensure I can participate in SPG's generous offer.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

UA miles: YES!

Just got some great news from United Airlines today. They will award miles on the charter!!

* United will give both Mileage Plus Award Miles and Elite Status Miles (EQM) to Mileage Plus members on the CO charter flight IAH-PHX-SEA-PHX-IAH
* Mileage Plus miles will be awarded as if the customer were ticketed on a paid Continental flight, crediting to their Mileage Plus account
* Miles will not be awarded to customers who use their Continental OnePass number or any other frequent flyer number for the flight
* Miles will be awarded based on the actual routing flown by the customer-i.e. if one flies IAH-PHX-SEA and takes a different return flight, miles will only be earned on IAH-PHX-SEA
* Mileage Plus elite members will receive the appropriate number of Elite bonus Award Miles, based on their elite status at the time of the charter flight
* Customers ticketed in the First Class cabin will receive the appropriate Class of Service bonus for Award Miles and Elite Status Miles
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tommy777
Just got some great news from United Airlines today. They will award miles on the charter!!
An unexpected bonus of 2116 EQM (IAH-PHX-SEA only for me) is always appreciated! ^^
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: *Alliance
-- fantastic! Thank you Tommy.

p.s. - My offer to provide birthday cake still stands Or maybe us folks on this side of the pond could get together and provide something special for our visitors??
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
* United will give both Mileage Plus Award Miles and Elite Status Miles (EQM) to Mileage Plus members on the CO charter flight IAH-PHX-SEA-PHX-IAH
Does this mean we are now going to SEA instead of PAE?
Also - is this a typo or is the return routing back through PHX?

* Miles will be awarded based on the actual routing flown by the customer-i.e. if one flies IAH-PHX-SEA and takes a different return flight, miles will only be earned on IAH-PHX-SEA
Also - is this unique to UA mileage earning - or now to all airlines?

Both of these items affect decision whether to take charter back to IAH.

Last edited by cova; Jul 30, 2010 at 1:38 pm
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cova
Does this mean we are now going to SEA instead of PAE?
We still are flying into PAE.
Also - is this a typo or is the return routing back through PHX?
The return will be non-stop to IAH.
Also - is this unique to UA mileage earning - or now to all airlines?
This is for UA accrual only.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Renard
Yes, a legitimate question. You have only been labeled as "ungrateful" by a small and select few, the rest of us appreciate you lots!

Please take notice that the organizers or moderators did not label you as "ungrateful," did they?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Question UA Miles Credit

* Mileage Plus miles will be awarded as if the customer were ticketed on a paid Continental flight, crediting to their Mileage Plus account
* Mileage Plus elite members will receive the appropriate number of Elite bonus Award Miles, based on their elite status at the time of the charter flight
Why do we have to fly back to IAH to get return mileage credit, if we've paid and ticketed for the round-trip charter?

If we really have to, what's the process for changing our enrollment to return on the charter (and maybe do a bit of a mileage run to our ultimate destination)?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
Why do we have to fly back to IAH to get return mileage credit, if we've paid and ticketed for the round-trip charter?

If we really have to, what's the process for changing our enrollment to return on the charter (and maybe do a bit of a mileage run to our ultimate destination)?
Just about every mileage program requires you to fly in order to get miles. Paying for a flight normally does not net you miles. UA is just sticking with the going motto rather than the (very nice and unusual) exception CO is providing...

Just glad/awesome to hear that UA is doing this . Thanks to the organizers.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Forgive my ignorance Tommy, but this sentence: * Miles will not be awarded to customers who use their Continental OnePass number or any other frequent flyer number for the flight... is a little confusing...
I assume that CO's previous offer of miles still stands?

Thanks for a great job so far as always!!!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Art234
Forgive my ignorance Tommy, but this sentence: * Miles will not be awarded to customers who use their Continental OnePass number or any other frequent flyer number for the flight... is a little confusing...
I assume that CO's previous offer of miles still stands?

Thanks for a great job so far as always!!!
My 'guess' is that it means no double-dipping. If you put in CO for either the charter or other stuff that it means those accounts will be credited. UA is giving miles only to those who use their UA accounts for charter, etc. I could be wrong, but that's my interpretation.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by okrogius
Just about every mileage program requires you to fly in order to get miles. Paying for a flight normally does not net you miles. UA is just sticking with the going motto rather than the (very nice and unusual) exception CO is providing...
This isn't really an ordinary situation, and I don't know if the charter will be run through any airline's computer system. Both CO and LH are giving 8000 miles if you participate and fly any leg of the charter. I understand if UA gives essentially 4000 miles as the IAH-SEA-IAH mileagle, but don't understand why, if it's a global price and you particpate, it matters the fly the return. And how will they know?

Nonetheless, I might consider staying on the return for the EQM if I have to, but I'll want to be certain that I have to
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by seacarl
Both CO and LH are giving 8000 miles if you participate and fly any leg of the charter.
You want to do a quote on the specifics of that 8K?

I didn't get that CO & LH were giving 8K miles. When the original CO stuff was posted I think there was a doubling of miles if you were CO elite & in F etc, etc, but didn't see a blanket 8K awarded. Didn't see that on the LH portion either.

Maybe I missed something?

I'm a UA person; no desire to join CO especially if the merger happens in the next sev mths, and even though I booked & paid the deposit for charter in time to secure a F seat on the charter (doing the woo-hoo dance!), I took out of it that I would probably only get 4K (having zippo status on CO) if I did start a CO account.

While the 4K which CO & LH are offering is nice, the fact that UA is giving any at all beats last year, which was nada. I'll take what I can get.

FWIW - I'm not doing the return to IAH, but will book a commercial UA flight back home from SEA & get miles that way. I know some other charter folk are doing the same, as getting from IAH back home re: of airline is more expensive than flying our preferred airline (in this case, UA) back from SEA. But that's certainly a to each his/her own & not universal.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.