Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

The 2010 DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How will you pay for this Do? (Payment is due within 2 weeks of Registration)
paypal?
33.33%
check?
33.33%
cash?
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold

Welcome all to the new 2010 DC Metro Area Happy Hour Thread!

Our Happy Hours aren't necessarily restricted to just Happy Hours - they can, and usually do, include lunch or dinner.

One handy tip: Do go to an ATM and carry cash with you - its always easier to settle a bill if everyone has cash - rather than having 10 credit cards on the table. And we can let the host/hostess (organizer) use a credit card if they prefer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

We have a December 29 dinner in Chantilly at which Captain Denny Flanagan will be our special guest:

Event: Dinner with Captain Flanagan
Date: Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Time: Drinks at 6:45 pm, followed by dinner around 7:15 pm
Place: Dogfish Alehouse, south of Rte. 50 in the Greenbrier Shopping Center, which is west of the Fairfax County Parkway (Rte. 7100) and east of Sully Road (Rte. 28)
Attendees

We welcome all suggestions on locations, dates and times. We do make an effort to spread things out geographically, recognizing the dining diversity in the DC region. Generally, we try to have an event every four to six weeks.

Out-of-town visitors are welcome at all of our events and are encouraged to post to the thread when they'll be in the DC area. We often try to schedule Happy Hours for dates when we know that visitors will be in town.

Previous 2010 Events:

Event: An early dinner on January 1, 2010 with Baxter&Bessis'Mama and Mad4Miles.
Date: January 1, 2010
Time: 5:00 p.m. (pre-dinner drinks from 4:30 pm or so)
Place: Willow Creek Farm, 42920 Broadlands Blvd., Broadlands, VA 20148; Phone: 571.209.1200
Attendees

Event: Lunch with mwg25, who will be in town the first weekend in February. CANCELED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010.
Time: 12:30 pm.
Place: Jaleo-DC, 480 7th St., NW, Washington, DC.
Attendees

Event: Another try at lunch in February
Date: Saturday, February 27, 2010
Time: 12:30 pm
Place: Jaleo-DC, 480 7th St., NW, Washington, DC.
Attendees

Event: Sunday dinner with PHLbuddy
Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010
Time: 6:00 pm
Place: Harrys Tap Room, 2800 N. Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, VA (703) 778-7788
Attendees

Date: Thursday, March 25, 2010
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Place: Sea Pearl Restaurant, 8191 Strawberry Lane (off Gallows Rd between Lee Hwy and Rte. 50), Falls Church, VA 22042-1032
Attendees

Event: Dinner with Bundy Bear, visiting Up Over from Down Under
Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Time: Happy Hour at 6:30 p.m. with dinner to follow at 6:45 p.m.
Place: Restaurant 3, in Clarendon, three blocks from the Clarendon Metro Station on the Orange line.
Attendees

Event: Drinks with the Star Mega DO 2 Organizers Oliver, xyzzy, and tommy777
Date: Friday, June 25, 2010
Time: 8:30 pm
Place: Harrys Tap Room, 2800 N. Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, VA (703) 778-7788
Discussion

Event: Happy Hour in Pentagon City
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010
Time: 6:00 pm (but feel free to arrive early -- Happy Hour lasts from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm)
Place: Zen Bistro and Wine Bar, in Pentagon Row near the Pentagon City station on the Yellow and Blue lines
Attendees

Event: Dinner at Vidalia as part of Washington, DC's Restaurant Week
Date: Monday, August 16, 2010
Time: 6:45 PM
Place: Vidalia, 1990 M St., NW, Washington, DC 20036
Attendees

Event: Dinner at Acadiana as part of Washington, DC's Restaurant Week
Date: Friday, August 20, 2010
Time: 7:00 PM
Place: Acadiana, 901 New York Ave., N.W., Washington, DC 20001
Attendees
Menu

In August, we'll be enjoying Alexandria's Restaurant Week
Event: A 3-course dinner for $35.00
Date: Sunday, August 22, 2010
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Place: The Grille at Morrison House
Attendees

Event: Regular DC-area Get-Together
Date: Friday, October 1, 2010
Time: Happy Hour at 6:15 pm, with Dinner at 7:15 pm
Place: Harry's Tap Room, 2800 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, VA (Clarendon station on Metro's Orange Line)
Attendees

Event: Dinner with attendees of the WAS Teh BoXer Do
Date: Saturday, October 23, 2010
Time: 5:00 pm
Place: Laurio Plaza, 1835 18th St., NW, Washington, DC
Attendees
Note: Sign-up is required on the WAS Teh BoXer Do thread

Dinner on Friday, October 29, at 7:00 pm at
Levante's DuPont Circle
1320 19th Street NW - Sunderland Building
Washington, DC

Event: Dinner
Date: Saturday, November 6, 2010
Time: 6:45 pm
Place: Sea Pearl Restaurant, 8191 Strawberry Lane, Falls Church, VA 22042 (closest Metro = Dunn Loring; rides will be offered from Dunn Loring and other Metro locations)
Attendees

Event: Dinner at the new Aviation-themed Hot Dog spot at Barracks Row
Date: December 1, 2010
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Place: DC-3, 432 8th Street, SE, Washington, DC 20003 (Eastern Market station on Metro's Blue and Orange lines)
Attendees

Old DC Happy Hour Threads (in case you want to see the fun stuff we have been up to):

The 2009 DC Area Happy Hour Thread
The 2008 DC Area Happy Hour Thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640210
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506351
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405712
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195663
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194791

Last edited by gvdIAD; Dec 22, 2010 at 8:30 am Reason: Update
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Attendees for the early dinner on January 1, 2010 with Baxter&Bessies'Mama and Mad4Miles:

1. Baxter&Bessies'Mama
2. Mad4Miles
3. gvdIAD
4. mhnadel
5. TrojanHorse

Scratched:

1. noirpepper

Last edited by gvdIAD; Jan 3, 2010 at 10:53 am Reason: update
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I think I can make the 1 Jan dinner.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Hello all!

Haven't spent a lot of time in DC in the past, but that's about to change significantly, and I would love to meet the local FT crowd!

Do y'all usually have events on weekdays or weekends? I will be in town from Feb. 5 (Friday - getting in pretty late) to Monday morning, Feb. 8, so would love to "request" a lunch/dinner/drinks event that weekend! I assume most people have Super Bowl plans, so Saturday would seem like the best choice, IMHO.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I'm on a flight from LHR to EWR during that time so I will miss this one. Have a Happy New Year and see you at the next get together.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mwg25
Do y'all usually have events on weekdays or weekends? I will be in town from Feb. 5 (Friday - getting in pretty late) to Monday morning, Feb. 8, so would love to "request" a lunch/dinner/drinks event that weekend! I assume most people have Super Bowl plans, so Saturday would seem like the best choice, IMHO.
We'd love to meet you too, mwg25.

In answer to your questions, we do events on both weekdays and weekends.

DC's a pretty large area and we have HH regulars from DC, Annapolis, Montgomery County, Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax County. Given those demographics, weekends are often easier because traffic is less awful and allows more people to attend. But given our common avocation, sometimes weekends find lots of people out of town. Also, it's often easier to find restaurants willing to host a group of our size (regularly approaching 15 attendees or more) if we schedule mid-week events. We generally try to schedule Metro-accessible events. If we're going somewhere not Metro-accessible, it's common for some of our regulars to offer rides to and from a Metro station to the restaurant.

We can certainly try to schedule something for the first Saturday in February. Is there any place you're interested in trying?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:03 pm
formerly Baxter&Bessies'Mama

Thanks, Greg, for putting this together! The menu looks Yummy, the weather seems to be cooperating and it will be great to jump start the year with loads of miles and FT company.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: * A
I'd like to put myself in the 'may be' list given I am not finding any good flights for new year's day as of yet
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:45 am

Where the heck is Broadlands, VA? Near IAD? Any interest in restaurant week DC (11-17 Jan)?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Where the heck is Broadlands, VA? Near IAD? Any interest in restaurant week DC (11-17 Jan)?
Broadlands is west of IAD. We have two out-of-town guests with long layovers at IAD but who still want to be close enough to IAD to get back easily for their onward overseas flight.

I posted a head's up about DC RW in the 2009 thread. Unfortunately, I'll be in SE Asia the entire week, so won't be involved in scheduling anything. If, however, several restaurants continue the RW menu during the week of 18-24 January, I will make a couple of reservations and post them to the thread.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I'd love to be there but my Ohio State Buckeyes are going to rock Oregon on the Rose Bowl that day!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:36 pm

Normally, I would find a way to use public transport. The weather is not good for that type of adventure, so I'll pass this time. See some of you at SIN DO.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Normally, I would find a way to use public transport. The weather is not good for that type of adventure, so I'll pass this time. See some of you at SIN DO.
Yeah - you are out of luck with this particular destination and public transport, unless it is somewhere to meet up with gvdIAD or one of the other folks with a car. Broadlands is deep suburbs territory, no public buses, esp on a weekend/holiday
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

I would've offered to pick you up and drive, but I'm planning on doing some shopping and don't know how long that'll take (or where it will be for that matter). I'd go so far as to say Broadlands is in the exurbs!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
If you can get to the Vienna metro station, I can offer you a ride from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.