Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Miyako SF

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Radisson Miyako SF

Hi all,
Anyone here got any experiance with the Radisson Miyako San Francisco?

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:46 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

It appears that there is not much interest in doing trip reports on Radisson Hotels due to lackluster interest in the program and some of the hotels.
As you probably are aware the Radisson SAS brand does a great job over in Europe and I am told some of the other Int Radisson Hotels as well.

The last report if you do a search appears to be last year.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Miyako
You may want to try a Trip Advisor and see more recent comments from the general public
Good luck and please post a review here if you do stay.........
Cheers
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by clubman
Hi all,
Anyone here got any experiance with the Radisson Miyako San Francisco?

Thanks
The Miyako is nice. Its Japanese inspired and its conveniently located. Easy bus access to Downtown and walking distance to the Fillmore area. Its located in Japan Town and there are alot of restaurants, movie theater, and Kabuki Hot Springs.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
My son worked there when he was in college, so we always stayed there when in SF. It's authentically Japanese and most of the odd little touches you see have a purpose. They are very serious about meeting the expectations of the Japanese guests.

They have tatami rooms, in which the mattress is traditionally on the floor. These rooms have valuable silk comforters, which unfortunately were stuffed into an odd white cover to keep them from shredding on the tatami mats. They also have regular western rooms. The higher-up corner rooms, which are larger, have great views. The windows are covered with Japanese screens, and shoji screens which were constructed by a craftsman brought in from Japan. Each room has a meditation spot with a statue of some sort. The soaking tubs are deep but not attractive, specially constructed for the Japanese customers, and the bathing areas are tiled with a low faucet and stool for a pre-soak washup.

I haven't stayed there in a few years as we no longer get the special employee rate, but it seems to me the rooms could have used a remake several years a ago.

I think room service uses Denny's across the street in the Best Western Miyako.

Location is good, although it's on the edge of the Western Addition and gets slightly dicey towards Divisidero.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Thanks guys ^
I will indeed write a trip review if I do stay there.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:03 am

Hi,
I have stayed at the Miyako a two times in the past two months. Although it's true that the decor is a little worse for the wear, I like it there, mainly because of its central location (although I should clarify that I'm not interested in close access to most of the tourist attractions). I definitely recommend the Tower Corner rooms. I've stayed in a standard King and a Tower Corner King, and there's no comparison. The standard room I had shared a balcony with another room, which is a little creepy if you're a woman traveling alone. The Tower Corner rooms are about twice as large and have two private balconies with two different views. Also, the bath/shower area in the Tower Corner rooms is much nicer. The shower/bath in the standard rooms is kind of closed in and dark, but the Tower Corners have glass separating the shower/bath from the vanity area, so there's much more light. Definitely try to stay in a Tower Corner room if you go.

I also consider it one of the best places to stay in the city if you have a rental car. Most of the Union Square hotels charge $35-$50 for in/out parking. At the Miyako, parking for guests is free during the day (although, be warned, it's a very small lot, and it's first come, first served). If you keep your car in the hotel lot overnight, it's $22, but you can easily move it to the Japantown lot overnight (two blocks away), which I believe is $13. But I'm notoriously cheap, so I usually keep it in the hotel lot during the day and then move it to the street at night after the meters are no longer monitored, then move it back to the hotel lot in the morning.

Hope that helps... If you have more specific questions, just post them, and I'll try to respond.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks tannerrox
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
I have also stayed there!

The location is quite OK in Japantown next to a large Japanese shopping mall with some interesting shops and restaurants.
It is very easy to go to the city centre (e.g. Union Square) by bus, takes about 10 mins, or you can walk there!! So transporation was never a problem!
Also not a very touristy area which I really appreciated...

The interior of the hotel is indeed very interesting, never quite figured out how the Japanese bathtub worked though.
Only downside is that the service was not really up to standard, the staff were not very attentive and I had to argue at check-in to make the receptionist enter my FF-number in the reservation. He claimed SAS was not a partner of Radisson and didn't even want to check (hey, half of Radisson is basically owned by SAS, I know my stuff).
Not the kind of thing you want after 16 hours of travelling.
The doorman was most friendly and helpful though.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:04 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Nice to finally see some Radisson reviews for a change ^
Good or bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.