Wiki Posts
Search

Country Inn & Suites Dulles, VA Review

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: lots of little things
Country Inn & Suites Dulles, VA Review

I had never stayed at a Country Inn & Suites before this stay for this 44k SOGO promo. Since I knew so little about them, I kept my expectations as neutral as possible. After doing a lot of comparison shopping for the best property for this promo, the location near Dulles was consistently the cheapest Carlson property in the DC metro area. Using the BRG I was able to snag a "Guest Room" here on a Saturday night for $53 + tax.

The exterior was uninspiring and plain boring, maybe 15-20 years old and in need of a power wash. There was plenty of free parking, and a Burger King and gas station are right in front. If you were arriving really late this could be a big plus.

The lobby is "quaint" with greens and browns, in what I now see as the Country Inns style. Initially I interpreted it as just old, then it clicked. A few chairs, sofa, and a cool old staircase you don't see very often in chain properties these days.

The agent at the front desk was pleasant and checked us in quickly to a room immediately off the lobby on the first floor. I was about to ask for something on a higher floor, but in all honesty, I'm really not that needy.

Upon entering the room we found a clean and comfortable space that had clearly been updated more than the public areas. Furniture was a nice cherry wood and a new LCD with lots of HD content (by hotel standards), a king bed, sitting chair, standard mini fridge and toaster were all what I would call, very solid. They all get a thumbs up. On the other hand the desk chair was pretty uncomfortable and dated, it's time for those to go.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. They got four thumbs up. ^

http://i.imgur.com/hGGth.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/76qYf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LPAvy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jweta.jpg

The bathroom was spotless and massive. I could have slept in there. It then dawned on me that I had an accessible room. I liked the simple, clean design. The mirror and plant accent were nice touches. Pantene and Vaseline provided the amenities here.

http://i.imgur.com/bdELY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mU8qA.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo quality, it was a last second idea with my camera phone.

Breakfast the next morning was free and what I'd call, above average. Waffle maker, eggs, roasted potatoes, juice, coffee, cereal, and probably more, I was kind of groggy. The most pleasant surprise there was the very drinkable coffee. I think it was the bold roast, it was much better than your average free hot bean water. If that's a CI&S brand spec, than I'll be pleasantly surprised.

All in all, this CI&S was on par or better than many Hampton Inns I've stayed at. That's probably the most comparable chain I can compare it to, after staying there. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this Dulles property again if the price is right and Carlson keeps their program moving in this direction.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: lots of little things
Also, at check out the desk agent assumed I was on an award stay as there was a $0.00 rate after the BRG was applied. She said there was no receipt to even print but I got her to print my blank folio anyway, just to have a copy of that.

I didn't particularly want to explain the whole BRG shebang there so early in the morning. I assume all will work itself out. I will be charged the rate in the reservation notes and my points will soon follow. Regular and bonus points. Either way I'll be keeping my eyes on that one.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Review: Country Inn & Suites, Washington Dulles International Airport, Sterling, VA

From my stay Saturday, 6/2, I'll make it brief. Purpose built as a Country Inn & Suites and apparently not that old, this hits the marks of the brand with nothing exceptional to mention, either good or bad. Competent staff, clean hotel, in good condition, reasonable prices. I paid $90 for the night but upgraded from a queen bed at $80 to a one-bedroom suite, which was perfectly acceptable: foldout queen sofa in the small living room, decent bath, small workspace just inside the room's entryway door. Flat screen TVs in both the bedroom and living room.

Far enough away from Dulles that you won't hear the jets all the time but close enough to take a shuttle to the airport. A Burger King just outside the door and some sort of shopping center across the way where a bar had a band playing outdoors (or at least, speakers blaring) when I returned from dinner (over five miles away) about 11 p.m. Once inside the hotel, however, I really didn't hear the music. No other dining options within walking distance but no charge for parking (other than standard Dulles park-and-fly deals). Standard breakfast, reasonable check in and check out efficiency. I'd go back, but I certainly wouldn't have found this place without the incentive of the Big Night Giveaway.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold
Stayed for the promotion. It wasn't a pleasant stay a bit.
I encountered spiders in my room.(took a photo) I showed it to front desk staff and got no response. I realized that my room type was not honored ( booked in one bed room suite) but didn't complained since I had a bad experience with the specific night front desk staff previously. GM doesn't seem care about my complaint. Other than than, this is just a Country Inn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.