Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has Citibank traditionally had competitive interest rates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

Ever since WaMu got purchased, I have been on the lookout for another bank to get higher interest rates. Citi's savings a/c gives 3%, but I would like to know if Citi usually gives such rates or if this is a recent offer due to their poor situation?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:10 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Ever since WaMu got purchased, I have been on the lookout for another bank to get higher interest rates. Citi's savings a/c gives 3%, but I would like to know if Citi usually gives such rates or if this is a recent offer due to their poor situation?
IMHO, a general rule has been the bigger the bank the worse the savings rates. And, I believe this has applied to Citi in the past. However, they are now a little better due to the changing situation.

If you want the highest rates check fatwallet.com or your local newspaper if you live in a big city. I have noticed numerous rates in the L.A. Times for rates higher than on the net if you go into a local branch. Or, try a local credit union.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:13 pm

Citi was giving me 3.75% last month at some branches. So if it's 3% now, it has come down despite their problems.

UFB Direct is giving 4% APY with $500 minimum.
http://www.ufbdirect.com/ufbdirect/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.