Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 24, 08, 12:19 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Has Citibank traditionally had competitive interest rates?

Ever since WaMu got purchased, I have been on the lookout for another bank to get higher interest rates. Citi's savings a/c gives 3%, but I would like to know if Citi usually gives such rates or if this is a recent offer due to their poor situation?
Old Nov 24, 08, 3:10 pm   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Ever since WaMu got purchased, I have been on the lookout for another bank to get higher interest rates. Citi's savings a/c gives 3%, but I would like to know if Citi usually gives such rates or if this is a recent offer due to their poor situation?
IMHO, a general rule has been the bigger the bank the worse the savings rates. And, I believe this has applied to Citi in the past. However, they are now a little better due to the changing situation.

If you want the highest rates check fatwallet.com or your local newspaper if you live in a big city. I have noticed numerous rates in the L.A. Times for rates higher than on the net if you go into a local branch. Or, try a local credit union.
biggestbopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 08, 3:13 pm   #3

Citi was giving me 3.75% last month at some branches. So if it's 3% now, it has come down despite their problems.

UFB Direct is giving 4% APY with $500 minimum.
http://www.ufbdirect.com/ufbdirect/
rrgg is offline   Reply With Quote