Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Account Shutdown (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:41 am

Unfortunately, yes I'm waiting for an offer better than the standard AS one before I apply and try to get back into BOA's good graces.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Unfortunately, yes I'm waiting for an offer better than the standard AS one before I apply and try to get back into BOA's good graces.
how long is the grace period? I mean how long to wait before you can apply and get approved for a BOA CC. Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:21 am

If you find out, please let the rest of us know. The general understanding with almost all of the CC issuers is if you're blacklisted, it will be years before you'll be able to get approvals with that CC issuer. But no one knows for certain how long that will be.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:36 am

For those who got shutdown by Citi for MS/churning, is there a way to find out if you are BL'ed without a HP? Or they will pull then deny?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by us1549
For those who got shutdown by Citi for MS/churning, is there a way to find out if you are BL'ed without a HP? Or they will pull then deny?
Based on people's experiences.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by us1549
I have never heard of Citi shutting down people for churning.

Since I had ~ 25 and my wife had ~20 Citi Hilton Visa cards ( plus other Citi cards ) I'm guessing we would have both been shut down.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have never heard of Citi shutting down people for churning.

Since I had ~ 25 and my wife had ~20 Citi Hilton Visa cards ( plus other Citi cards ) I'm guessing we would have both been shut down.
I think what was implied is that Citi might shut down people for "super aggressive" churning. Such as repeatedly applying for cards with a big first year annual fee (not waived), getting the bonus super fast, then cancelling and demanding a refund of that big annual fee, and then repeat that to an obnoxious degree. Citi might look at getting bonuses a lot one way, but it might look quite another way at someone "tricking it" out of annual fees over and over and over again, while churning.

If you get annual fees waived / credited by Citi during retention calls, that's their choice. But if you trick your way into getting Citi to refund an annual fee only because of rules (that the government, not Citi, set up) that allow a refund of the annual fee within N days, that's your choice, and may not be to Citi's liking, especially if they see you repeating that trick a lot.

Obviously, that's a situation it's impossible to get into with either no-AF HH Visa cards, or with AA Gold/Plat MC cards or business MC cards, because they have no annual fee at all in the former case or have the first year annual fee officially waived in the latter case. It's only a situation possible with a couple Citi cards, such as the AA Executive and I think also one of the TYP cards.

The Citi AA Exec can no longer be "frequently" churned, but there was a period of time when it could be, and I know people were discussing "tricks" to avoid the steep annual fee while still earning the bonus, but I didn't follow it closely enough to know whether Citi ever shut people down for that or not. But I would assume that if Citi ever shut down people for churning, it would be for that kind of "super aggressive" churning, not simply for "frequent" churning. (Just as in some places, it's even easier to get a nasty driving ticket for "aggressive" driving than just for exceeding the speed limit.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 8, 2016 at 7:18 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Appears that wife and I got shut down. 0 CLs on several cards. We're not super aggressive Citi churners, 2 cards in 2015 each. Don't MS on these cards either. Some of the cards that were shut down are cards that we've had 2-4 years that we paid the annual fees on last year. Really no idea what the trigger is here. Lost about 53K in a Premier account, will see if it can be cashed out.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:09 pm
Suspended

That's odd. Have you checked your credit reports? Anything going on there?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:38 am

Shouldn't be anything that I know of. Didn't get but another 1-2 cards whole of last year. Figured WTH and tossed an app in tonight and got instant deny - so guess it's welcome to the blacklist
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973
That's odd. Have you checked your credit reports? Anything going on there?
You're not MSing with Citi CCs or even churning them, so yeah, this is a puzzler. Have you opened any Citi bank accounts and funded them with credit cards or deposited MOs into them? How did you make CC payments to your Citi accounts? Were you churning other CCs somewhat heavily or carrying high balances at statement closing with any CC issuers?

If none of those things, seems like a rare, unfortunate anomaly.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:32 am

have you billpayed them from walmart or received billpays from other people?

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Appears that wife and I got shut down. 0 CLs on several cards. We're not super aggressive Citi churners, 2 cards in 2015 each. Don't MS on these cards either. Some of the cards that were shut down are cards that we've had 2-4 years that we paid the annual fees on last year. Really no idea what the trigger is here. Lost about 53K in a Premier account, will see if it can be cashed out.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't be anything that I know of. Didn't get but another 1-2 cards whole of last year. Figured WTH and tossed an app in tonight and got instant deny - so guess it's welcome to the blacklist
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
You're not MSing with Citi CCs or even churning them, so yeah, this is a puzzler. Have you opened any Citi bank accounts and funded them with credit cards or deposited MOs into them? How did you make CC payments to your Citi accounts? Were you churning other CCs somewhat heavily or carrying high balances at statement closing with any CC issuers?

If none of those things, seems like a rare, unfortunate anomaly.
Originally Posted by riquelmean
have you billpayed them from walmart or received billpays from other people?
OP, if you can shed more lights on the questions posed by I can see for miles and riquelmean, that would help the community identify what might have been the causes. Remember, your activities on OTHER Banks cards / accounts could affect you if Citi does not like what they see via a soft pull for account review. Banks do account review soft pulls VERY frequently these days - many people just worry about HPs for churning cards, they do not realize soft pulls on account reviews can get them in trouble.

If you haven't done any of the above asked, then you need to check your credit reports to see if any errors showing up there.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:38 pm

Some additional info:

No deposit accounts with citi so therefore no funding with CC nor MO activity. MS with WF but extremely aware of statement cuts for utilization, no screwups in 2015. Went and counted, 5 cards opened in 2015 total (2 WF 2 Citi 1 Discover IT) spread out throughout the year. Last Citi was 9 or 10/15.

No BP from other people. Yes to WMBP and MS for minimum spend. On my citi hilton I did MS $10K for anniversary night earlier in 2015. I do want to point out however, that it's not consistent what cards were closed and remain open between my wife and myself, who have very similar profiles. Some cards that were closed literally only thing were annual fees we paid in 2015.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:31 pm
Suspended

I do want to point out however, that it's not consistent what cards were closed and remain open between my wife and myself, who have very similar profiles.
Are you saying not all of your and/or your wife's Citi cards were shut down?

Is your wife heavy into MS? Sometimes household members get shut down simply as a result of another household member's shutdown.

The WMBP could also be a red flag, understandably. From a bank's perspective, it simply doesn't make sense for people to run up $10,000 CC bills but then use a service like WMBP to make the payment(s). In the bank's eyes, if you have $10,000 from a source other than MS, you should have a bank account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.