Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAD_flyer
Citi No Longer Allows Funding New Checking Accounts by CC as of 08-Feb-2016. Below information is historic.

1-800-745-1534 TO FUND

Cards that have been reported to NOT WORK

CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard - Will not load and loads as cash

Capital One

Barclay Priceline

Chase

Cards that have been report to WORK

Barclay Aviator

Citi AAdvantage

Citi Thank You Premier

BofA Travel card

BofA Alaska
Print Wikipost

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by desikid
I guess when you applied online, you may not have received account number at the end of application. If so, what type of message did you get? Similar to credit card pending approval needing more information?
Bhai I did apply online. Yes exact same thing happened as you mentioned above. I did get in touch with Equifax and there's some kind of security alert on my SS. Working to get that off and than apply again.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: UAL, AA
Cash Advance - CitiAdvantage Platinum Select???

I opened up a Citigold account on 11-23-15. I called to verify that it was approved, and also verified that I have 30 days to fund with CC - to which the answer was yes.

Without asking, the phone agent informed me that it would be a cash advance. Odd since everyone else here seems to have it post as a purchase. I will be funding with a CitiAddvantage Platinum Select MC. Has anyone with this card gotten a CA post - i will be doing a LARGE fund and do not want a CA charge.

Thanks.

Blasky
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:28 pm

Does anyone know if debit card transaction requirement may be satisfied by loading $1000 to bluebird?

TIA!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by blasky
Cash Advance - CitiAdvantage Platinum Select???

I opened up a Citigold account on 11-23-15. I called to verify that it was approved, and also verified that I have 30 days to fund with CC - to which the answer was yes.

Without asking, the phone agent informed me that it would be a cash advance. Odd since everyone else here seems to have it post as a purchase. I will be funding with a CitiAddvantage Platinum Select MC. Has anyone with this card gotten a CA post - i will be doing a LARGE fund and do not want a CA charge.

Thanks.

Blasky
If you ask, the agents will always say it might be a cash advance to cover their liability.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
If you ask, the agents will always say it might be a cash advance to cover their liability.
I asked this same question a few threads back. Phone agent told me same thing about there being a CA fee and so I was hesitant to fund the account with a Citi Prestige card.

So, there is NO proof that anyone got charged a CA fee in this thread?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:03 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by doss1
Phone agent told me same thing about there being a CA fee and so I was hesitant to fund the account with a Citi Prestige card.

I cannot speak globally, but I can say that we funded one checking account with an AA Citi card and it was not charged a cash advance fee. The charge posted as Citibank Online and the description was MORTGAGE COMPANIES-FINANCIAL INSTITUTION. Transaction Type: Purchases.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:15 am

I asked this same question a few threads back. Phone agent told me same thing about there being a CA fee and so I was hesitant to fund the account with a Citi Prestige card.

I funded using my att access more card and it posted as purchase.

Make sure you set the Cash advance limit as zero and give a large purchase notification to the citi cards / any cards first.

I first tried with Chase freedom after setting the CA limit as 100 , but the transaction was declined.

Capital one always code as cash advance.

Check DoC's website for these type of info.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:21 am

I FINALLY got my account funded and did a bill pay today (Nov 28th).

So, if I do my second bill pay on Dec 1st, and make the $1k Debit purchase then I'm set correct? I don't need to wait another month from Nov 27th, correct?

Second question, it can be different bill pay companies correct? If I pay my HOA dues then the next month I pay my gas bill, that counts as two? it doesn't need to be HOA dues then the next month HOA dues again, it can be ANY thing I bill pay (with exception of Citi) correct? Thanks so much!!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
I FINALLY got my account funded and did a bill pay today (Nov 28th).

So, if I do my second bill pay on Dec 1st, and make the $1k Debit purchase then I'm set correct? I don't need to wait another month from Nov 27th, correct?

Second question, it can be different bill pay companies correct? If I pay my HOA dues then the next month I pay my gas bill, that counts as two? it doesn't need to be HOA dues then the next month HOA dues again, it can be ANY thing I bill pay (with exception of Citi) correct? Thanks so much!!
The Citi language is not very clear on this. Why don't you split the gas bill into 2, pay a little now and pay the rest next month just to be sure.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I need to alert Citi fraud department that I am expecting to make a large purchase using the Prestige card this week in order to pay for a part of the Citigold funding. They are going to ask me what the purchase is. What do you guys say at that point?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:11 pm

I need to alert Citi fraud department that I am expecting to make a large purchase using the Prestige card this week in order to pay for a part of the Citigold funding. They are going to ask me what the purchase is. What do you guys say at that point?
I just called Citi and they only asked me which merchant. I told them it was going to a financial institution.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:41 pm

Can I use 2 different cards to fund the account or is it that I have2 attempts to make only 1 successful transaction ?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by runnnerdude2k2
Can I use 2 different cards to fund the account or is it that I have2 attempts to make only 1 successful transaction ?
You cannot use 2 different cards to fund 1 account.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:43 am

Another successful data point:

Opened Citigold account 11/23 per DoC's instructions. Called new account 800# on 11/25 and told CSR I wished to fund new account with a CC. Used Citi AAdvantage Platinum MC. CSR explicitly stated it would be a purchase, not a cash advance, and gave me the exact time that I could expect the charge to show up (next day, 5:00-5:30AM). She then asked if it was a Citi CC, I said yes, and she transferred me to the Citi CC fraud department so I could pre-clear the large transaction. Charge appeared the next day as indicated and cleared with no issues.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:44 am

Debit card requirement

Originally Posted by rjdoc1974
Does anyone know if debit card transaction requirement may be satisfied by loading $1000 to bluebird?

TIA!
Did this question get answered? My strategy was similar except going to make a payment toward FIA card to satisfy requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.