Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Citi ThankYou Points for Amtrak trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Hi- I haven't seen this question asked anywhere else but I apologize if it's been asked elsewhere.

Is there any way to redeem Citi ThankYou Points for Amtrak trips, either through some sort of transfer to Amtrak Guest Rewards, booking through the Citi ThankYou Travel Center, or some sort of other way at all?

I was considering opening a Prestige card but will be travelling on some short haul Amtrak trips over the next few months and not sure if I'd be able to use these points for those trips.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
Is there any way to redeem Citi ThankYou Points for Amtrak trips
You should be able to do this using the Rewards Account Number feature, which you can read about here:

https://www.thankyou.com/rewardsAcco...ith-points|ran

Essentially, you generate a temporary MasterCard account number and use it to purchase tickets on amtrak.com. The charge will post to your Prestige card, and then points will be redeemed to offset the charge.

The downside is that the redemption rate is poor. 10,000 points = $75.00
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:48 am

If Amtrak travel is something you're really interested in Chase Ultimate Rewards would be a better program for you. Chase UR are transferable 1:1 to Amtrak Guest Rewards points.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:48 am
mia

Chase was the most recent issuer of the Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card, but the card is not currently available. If AGR ends their relationship with Chase they may well also leave Ultimate Rewards.

Another option is the Starwood Preferred Guest credit card issued by American Express. Starpoints transfer 1:1 to AGR.

Diners Club MasterCard Club Rewards points also transfer 1000:1000 to AGR, but they are not currently accepting applications.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Or you can transfer TY to HHonors then to AGR.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:31 am
mia

Originally Posted by neutralist
Or you can transfer TY to HHonors then to AGR.
The transfer rate from HHonors to Amtak is unappealing.

Example:

20,000 TYP
30,000 HH
4,500 AGR
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by mia
Chase was the most recent issuer of the Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card, but the card is not currently available. If AGR ends their relationship with Chase they may well also leave Ultimate Rewards.
The current rumor is that Citibank will be the new Amtrak-affinity credit card in time for 2016. If so, I sure hope that ThankYou points (of which I now have a tidy stockpile) are easily transferrable.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
The current rumor is that Citibank will be the new Amtrak-affinity credit card in time for 2016. If so, I sure hope that ThankYou points (of which I now have a tidy stockpile) are easily transferrable.
New development? I thought it was BoA because the generic name on the new card images that Amtrak released in its new issuer announcement was the same as used on BoA cards.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by paytonc
The current rumor is that Citibank will be the new Amtrak-affinity credit card
I suspect you are misrecalling.

Originally Posted by billybayswater
I thought it was BoA because the generic name on the new card images that Amtrak released in its new issuer announcement was the same as used on BoA cards.
Bingo.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:09 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to book Amtrak tickets by calling and booking on the phone?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Does anyone know if it's possible to book Amtrak tickets by calling and booking on the phone?
Just called Citi ThankYou rewards (1-800-THANKYOU) and they said it was not possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.