Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unexpected Experian pull by Citi when added as authorized user?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

folks

i was added as an authorized user on a Citi AAdvantage Gold World Mastercard 2 months ago (no social provided) but I still see a credit pull on my Experian report. Obviously, they matched the address to past cards I've had in my name. Is this the new normal?

Thx
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:23 pm

I don't know if it's standard, but Citi does have permissible purpose to do so. It's just one pull, so I wouldn't worry about it. In six months after the pull (four or five months from now) the impact on your FICO scores will be diminished, and a year after the pull, it won't be factored into your FICO scores at all.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that being added as an authorized user on a spouse's card didn't create a "hard pull" as would, say, a request for a substantial credit-line increase.

Am I just wrong? It sure looks like it.

How often (%) does this happen? Is Citi just different or would Barclays or Chase do it, too?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

That's exactly my point - not so concerned about the scores as with this being the new normal
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
folks

i was added as an authorized user on a Citi AAdvantage Gold World Mastercard 2 months ago (no social provided) but I still see a credit pull on my Experian report. Obviously, they matched the address to past cards I've had in my name. Is this the new normal?

Thx
You don't get a hard pull for being added as an authorized user to someone's account. Someone submitted an app using your information. Hopefully it's someone you know and love; If not, this is what we call identity theft.

Check to make sure the person that added you as an AU did not submit an application using your info. If they didn't, notify the credit reporting agencies asap.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that being added as an authorized user on a spouse's card didn't create a "hard pull" as would, say, a request for a substantial credit-line increase.

Am I just wrong? It sure looks like it.
You're not wrong. A bank cannot do a hard pull for an AU, but can do one at anytime for the cardholder. Technically, any bank that has extended you credit can do a hard pull anytime that they want. You gave them permission to do so upon acceptance of the cardmember agreement. The few times I've seen this done is when someone's risk profile suddenly indicates a high risk of default. Sort of like when someone goes out and does something stupid like applying for ten credit cards in one day.

Last edited by traveler9020; Feb 8, 2015 at 6:09 pm
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I don't know if it's standard, but Citi does have permissible purpose to do so. It's just one pull, so I wouldn't worry about it. In six months after the pull (four or five months from now) the impact on your FICO scores will be diminished, and a year after the pull, it won't be factored into your FICO scores at all.
What's their permissible purpose? Authorized users are not responsible for any debt incurred on the card. If Citi has done a hard credit inquiry for an authorized user, call them and ask them to remove.

If they don't remove it, contact the CRA directly and ask them to remove it. If they refuse make a complaint with the CFPB.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

A hard pull was indeed done for me as the add-on user. The experian report even shows the right balance. I called citi customer service but they are ignorant about this whole thing and doubt they can help. Is there a certain phone number that handles these credit inquiries?

Thx
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:21 pm

A hard pull was indeed done for me as the add-on user. The experian report even shows the right balance. I called citi customer service but they are ignorant about this whole thing and doubt they can help. Is there a certain phone number that handles these credit inquiries?

Thx
The fact that the tradeline "shows the right balance" says nothing about whether they "did a hard pull."
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx
Do you have a different citi card?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...The experian report even shows the right balance.
To be sure there is no misunderstanding, the presence of the account on your credit report is not an indication that Citi performed an inquiry (hard pull) before issuing the card.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG

Thx
They will not do a hard pull for an AU account that you didn't even enter a SSN for, though. The line may show up on your credit report, but no inquiry should be there.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

The experian agent didn't even know what a hard pull is. And the entry shows just like the cards I was the primary on. How do i distinguish between a hard pull and smth else?

Date Opened: 02/04/2015
Business Name: CITICARDS CBNA
Balance Amount: $1240
Balance Date:
Address: PO BOX 6241
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The experian agent didn't even know what a hard pull is. And the entry shows just like the cards I was the primary on. How do i distinguish between a hard pull and smth else?

Balance Date:
The existence of an account has absolutely nothing to do with a hard pull.

If you go down to near the end of the Experian credit report, you will see a section called "Record of requests for your credit history"

"Inquiries shared with others" are hard pulls. "Inquiries shared only with you" are soft pulls.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Balance Date:
This is NOT where you will find the inquiries. There are sections on a credit report to tell you who has made a hard pull who has made a soft pull.

Looks like you are the one who has no idea on how information is displayed on a credit report.

BTW, hard pull and soft pull are just lingos. The "formal" names of 2 different inquiries are NOT called hard pull or soft pull on a credit report...
They are called "Inquiries shared with others" and "Inquiries shared only with you", respectively. May be it is YOU who do not have an idea what a hard pull is.

Have you ever looked at the Inquiry sections? Or even know such sections exist?
They are the last few pages of your credit report. One can quickly see who has done what in 5 minutes reading the last 2 pages.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 9, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.