Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Offer availability for Citi Platinum AA advantage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the ignorant question: i had a Citi Card last year (within the 18 month limit) but don't think it was a Platinum Mastercard. (How can i figure that out if I no longer have the card?)

Rules say, offer for 50 K bonus " not available if you have had a Citi?AAdvantage PLatinum slect Masterdard opened or approved in past 18 months."

Would other CITI AAdvantage cards disqualify too?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

OOPS sorry: missed this:1. Are these AA cards churnable?
Yes and no. The general rules are:
Personal AA cards: As of February 1, 2015, all new links require you to wait 18 months from the date of opening or closing an account of the same type (AmEx, Visa, MC) and category (Gold, Platinum, Executive). Thus,
opening or closing a personal Platinum MC will normally require you to wait another 18 months before applying for another personal Platinum MC eligible for a signup bonus
opening or closing a personal Gold MC will normally require you to wait another 18 months before applying for another personal Gold MC eligible for a signup bonus
opening or closing a personal Platinum MC will not affect your eligibility to apply for (& earn a bonus on) a new Gold MC, and vice versa

The following exception reliably held true until February 2016. In recent weeks, several FT reports (involving offer link 4d as well as other public links on aa.com and citi.com) indicate that this loophole has been narrowed or closed entirely. Follow current discussion in the thread for the latest on this changing situation.
Exception: If you receive a Platinum World MC or a Gold World MC which is later converted to a World Elite MC, neither the opening of that card nor subsequently closing it will count for purposes of the 18-month rule. For more information on World Elite cards, including how to determine whether your card has been converted, see FAQs #18-20 below.
Note: It makes no difference when (or whether) you activate the World Elite card. If you have the WE card in hand, then the conversion on Citi's books is already complete. There is nothing magical about activating it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.