Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Signifcant Organization Savings rate not necessarily cheapest!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After being used to SOS coming out cheapest, yesterday for a few minutes I was getting a weird error when clicking through to some cheap hotels where they claimed "SOS rate not available" and showed me the standard rate (yuck!). So I thought, maybe they don't offer SOS discount when the hotel is cheap to start with? Then (because standard rate was of no interest) I decided to try AAA, and it was several dollars a night less than what SOS would have worked out to (had I been able to get it clicking through).

But I went back to my normal hotels that are not the ultra-lowest-cost properties and there the SOS worked normally (to give signficantly more discount than AAA).

(Without logging out and back in, a few minutes later SOS started working on the hotels where it had previously given me the error. Then I was able to verify that the SOS click through rate was still several dollars more than than the AAA rate.)

At one hotel (a Quality in the Anaheim area) the AAA was $41 a night while the SOS click thorugh (once I got it working) was about $45 IIRC.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have my best luck with the 60+ rate, although you have to check. On many hotels, one rate (say, AAA) would be less than, say, government, and at another property it's just the reverse.

I've found no use for the business rate at all.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch

At one hotel (a Quality in the Anaheim area) the AAA was $41 a night while the SOS click thorugh (once I got it working) was about $45 IIRC.
Was that the one a couple blocks from Knott's Berry Farm?

Yuck.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Was that the one a couple blocks from Knott's Berry Farm?

Yuck.
No, the Quality I was seeing for $41 AAA this coming Monday is the "Resort" near Disnleyland (tacks on a pesky $3 resort charge, claims it has to because of its distance to Disneyland) on Manchester. Anaheim. (Knott's would not be Anaheim, it would be Buena Park or something like that.)

This one is acceptable, if nothing special. I've stayed there before. Just check your room to make sure everything works before you settle in (maintanance could be more proactive ), I've had to switch rooms there once or twice. (But that's true of so many Choice properties.)

And check-in/out can be a little slow due sometimes complicated vacationing family issues being dealt with by the clerk (being so near Disneyland, it's full of families who booked using who knows what, or want to change their stay or payment method or number of rooms, or need 20 minutes of instructions about the resort shuttle).
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
So, what's the current SOS code-I've not gotten 800800 or 800500 to work lately.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Little League Rate
http://www.choicehotels.com/littleleague
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Little League Rate
http://www.choicehotels.com/littleleague
Little League is not an SOS rate, that's available to anyone, as is the LPGA rate.

SOS is a non-profit organization rate that has a discount even greater that either of those two.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VolFanDave
Little League is not an SOS rate, that's available to anyone, as is the LPGA rate.

SOS is a non-profit organization rate that has a discount even greater that either of those two.
SOS is not just for non-profits.
Little League is a type of SOS rate.
Not all SOS rates provide the same discount.
Does LL provide the max? Not always, but it's the best open-to-all SOS discount that I'm aware of right now.

If you want to try other SOS codes that you may not be technically eligible for, Google is your friend (I found several with two minutes on Google).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
If you want to try other SOS codes that you may not be technically eligible for, Google is your friend (I found several with two minutes on Google).
I have never paid rack rate for any hotel, and I've never been asked for any sort of ID when doing a Choice property. This includes both 60+, SOS, government/military - anything.

Given the general level of front desk training (especially at the places I stay at) and the current slump, I doubt if any hotel goes out of their way to find a reason for you to go away.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigLar
I have never paid rack rate for any hotel, and I've never been asked for any sort of ID when doing a Choice property. This includes both 60+, SOS, government/military - anything.
I've been asked questions about the particular SOS rate, though, so at least be aware of whose rate you're using and who they are.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I've been asked questions about the particular SOS rate, though, so at least be aware of whose rate you're using and who they are.
Well, duhhh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.