Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

former Quality Suites now a Hyatt House and to become HH DoubleTree

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

According to this link:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...ges-ahead.html

a property was built as a Quality Suites in 1989, and after number re-flaggings / purchases has lately been a Hyatt House, and now is being converted into a DoubleTree (Hilton HHonors family).

Isn't it unusual for a former Choice property to move up like that? (Though in the HH family, DoubleTree is so often a conversion that I wonder it should be renamed to ReflaggedTree.)

FWIW, I just stayed last night at a Quality Inn that used to be a Fairfield Inn. I'm much more used to things going in that direction.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Agreed. I have never stayed at a Quality Inn that could pass the quality standards of a Double Tree.

How low has Double Tree lowered their standards???
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A lot of DoubleTrees seem to conversions from something else. (At least, a lot of the DoubleTrees I've seen being announced in the Hilton forums new openings thread over the past few years.)

But in this case, the Quality Suites went through several other lives before it became the Hyatt House (which seems to have a full kitchens in each room).

And the one Quality Suites I'm familiar with (the one near SNA) does not have a kitchen in each room at all (in most rooms, anyway), so I'm not sure what the path was from that particular Quality Suites to Hyatt House.

(Quality Suites is a bit different than Quality Inn, in the styles of the rooms, but based on the one I've seen it's simply a suite in the sense of multiple rooms, a la Embassy Suites, not a suite in the sense of having kitchen facilities in each room, a la Candlewood Suites.)
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
DoubleTrees in general are hit or miss because of this. Most,if not all, DoubleTrees are reflagged hotels from either independent or other chains. I don't really care what the hotel was previously, as long as a full reno is done to bring the hotel up to decent standards.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I think in 1989 the Quality Brand was a little different than it is now. Back then it was positioned above Comfort but below Clarion and was typically a Holiday Inn-quality property.

This isn't a very nice property, I'll be interested to see the Doubletree remodel. It is also basically a limited service property so putting Doubletree on it is odd. It will probably come out like the Phoenix Inn Suites conversions to Doubletree in Oregon (Beaverton, Tigard, Salem, etc.) and Washington (Olympia, Vancouver).

Getting harder and harder to take the Doubletree brand seriously as a full service hotel with these kinds of conversions.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:12 pm

Agree with storewanderer, Holiday Inn Express became a Quality Inn but it is a weird setup as one wing has interior corridor so the rooms there have microwave and fridge. Other wing is all exterior corridors.
They try to charge about $12 more for the interior rooms but reward you have the option for all rooms at the same points.

Holiday Inn built a brand new property all interior corridors and indoor pool (outdoor Quality) one town over. I believe before it was an HI Express it was a Howard Johnson without the interior corridor wing.

This Quality Inn "Hot" breakfast does the minimum to meet the chain requirement of having one.
FWIW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.