Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

July 2009 eclipse and viewing from Zhoushan (near Shanghai)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

July 2009 eclipse and viewing from Zhoushan (near Shanghai)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yes they do, but they don't say whether you have to cancel before the flight time or not.
IME, if you don't cancel >30 minutes before your flight time, there's a good chance your ticket will become completely worthless. Fortunately, a 2-3 minute phone call is all that's required to cancel.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:23 pm

I was holding off contacting the hotel until I get to China (when I can ask a native speaker to do it), but now I may have to accelerate that plan.
I just got off the phone with the hotel again and the receptionist gave a little more info:

-30 minutes is plenty of time to make it from the airplane to the dock
-if there is heavy wind or fog, the boat probably won't "sail" anyway
-private charters are relatively easy to come by, both at the dock and arrivals area of the airport (latter costs more)
-also, if you're running late, you can call the hotel and they will try to help you out (e.g. negotiating with charters or arranging them for you on the fly)
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And I emailed our Shanghai office and asked them to help. I guess I need another prepaid SIM then to make sure I have a phone although, again, I doubt that I will get anyone at the hotel that speaks English -- especially on the night shift!

It probably would be worthwhile to ask what the cost of a taxi boat would be so I don't get ripped off too much, if need be.

30 minutes may be plenty of time -- if the plane arrives on schedule!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:54 pm

30 minutes may be plenty of time -- if the plane arrives on schedule!
Knowing nothing at all about the weather (or traffic at SHA) on July 21, I'm stilling willing to lay down 60% odds that you'll make that boat.

As for the remaining 40%, you'll need to make some judgment calls on the fly (i.e. barter for private boat or head for Sheraton), but I have a feeling things will go smoother than you think.

Also, I'd be happy to serve as a translator on the big day, if need be; 3-way calling is pretty easy for me.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
My plan for Chengdu/Emei shan are not
developing welldue to flaky travel partners.

Zhoushan sounds fine,
I am booked into Sheraton nights of 20 and 21.

Working back from that,
if there are any groups going that way to/from
I can hang with, that would be fun.
I am thinking one fast boat, one overnight boat. Could fly..

Currently staying at St. Regis Shanghai with C+P the 17-18-19.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Zhoushan sounds fine,
I am booked into Sheraton nights of 20 and 21.
Thanks for you PM. With 一石两鸟, I'm responding to you publicly. For better or for worse, I'm pretty much anchored to Portland until the fall, but I wish you guys well during the eclipse (and will try my best to lend a hand from afar).

Since my previous two posts were a bit rushed (I was online with a tech person from a Chinese computer company at the time who was roaming around my desktop and chided me for "surfing too much"), I'd like to restate my recommendation in clearer terms.

You should definitely attempt to hit Putuoshan on the night of the 21st, which should be easy for you, at least.

As far as Richard's concerned, the same goal should also be within reach, especially assuming that he will only make the trip (to Zhoushan) if the weather is good.

Whether or not he makes the last boat, I'm very confident that he'll find a way to make the (final leg of the) journey for less than $100 (which could be split between others in the same situation).

But, even a complete strikeout on that front does not equate to homelessness.

In closing, traveling in China often helps us refine our contingency planning skills. Rather than looking at situations like the instant case with fear, we should revel in them. No matter what happens, I'm sure good times will be had,.... and priceless memories produced.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Oh, I'm not afraid of the travel problems. I just like to plan for all forseeable contingencies in advance! A cancelable (i.e., non-guaranteed) Sheraton Zoushan booking isn't a bad idea, even if I will arrive three hours after the booking goes away, it couldn't hurt. Knowing about what a taxi boat would cost would keep me from being horribly ripped off (instead of just being ordinarily ripped off, as usually happens to foreigners in China).

I probably would have taken the early AM flight (which is still available) if I was not arriving in Shanghai late-ish the previous evening. I believe I'll need some time after arrival to buy a few eclipse requisites which are unlikely to be available in Putuoshan. The general availability of rooms and flights makes it very clear that this is not an "approved" eclipse destination so it's unrealistic to expect hordes of vendors selling eclipse-type stuff.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Oh yeah, if folks want to meet up after the eclipse at our hotel room, I will probably be bargaining for a late checkout at the hotel on arrival.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Thanks moondog and richard for continueing updates.

The concierge from St. Regis sent me this info:

Warm Greeting from The St.Regis Hotel Shanghai
Please see below boat schedule and cost to Putuoshan:

7:30 bus leave from station,
9:30 boat leave from dock,
Around 11:30 arrival to Putuoshan.
Cost: RMB352+RMB20 for first class.
Above boat ticket needs to be 2 days before in advance.

Now, do I want to fork over that extra $3 for first class?
I have to re-read this thread now to see how it all fits together,
i.e. which station and which dock.

Last edited by MrHalliday; Jul 7, 2009 at 1:00 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

The Landison hotel, according to our company's Shanghai office, said they would meet us at the airport for Rmb600 and that there would then be an additional Rmb300 charge for a private boat to Putuoshan. Seems rather pricey, I am asking them to inquire about discounts. However, I might take them up on it in one direction just to be very conservative.

The particularly annoying thing is that to do this, the hotel is asking for a copy of my passport as well as a copy of my credit card.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:41 pm

The Landison hotel, according to our company's Shanghai office, said they would meet us at the airport for Rmb600 and that there would then be an additional Rmb300 charge for a private boat to Putuoshan. Seems rather pricey, I am asking them to inquire about discounts. However, I might take them up on it in one direction just to be very conservative.

The particularly annoying thing is that to do this, the hotel is asking for a copy of my passport as well as a copy of my credit card.
I would be inclined to take them up on their (presumably) overpriced boat offer and decline the hand-holding services, provided they could guarantee that you will have no trouble making your way from the airport to the boat (i.e. give you fool proof instructions).
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Here is the report from our Shanghai office:

"We have kept talking to the hotel but they don't want to give any discount.
Putuoshan is very small place and they told us the people live there usually
have dinner about 5pm and go to bed about 8 to 9pm. So nobody likes to do
this favor with you during that night actually. And the so called private
ferry is kind of illegal operation therefore they cannot be so easy for you
to find out. You have to rely on them [the hotel] to get contact with ferry at night. It is too risky for you to find them and negotiate the price when you arrive. So it looks like we have no choice and you have to pay this amount to be more safety." Comments, thoughts?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:54 am

We will be in town (shanghai 7/20 to 7/25) for the eclipse...We are planning on renting a car and getting driven somewhere towards Hangzhou and trying to find a clear spot close to the center of path.

Hope to see some fellow chasers.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
We will be in town (shanghai 7/20 to 7/25) for the eclipse...We are planning on renting a car and getting driven somewhere towards Hangzhou and trying to find a clear spot close to the center of path.

Hope to see some fellow chasers.
Hey Live4Miles. I'll also be there, flying solo, and renting out a car/driver seems like the best bet. Not sure how many you have in your party, but would love to join in!

That goes for anyone else looking for an alternate option to flying or ferrying. I've also been toying with the idea of heading out to Moganshan across the bridge, would would be via a driver most likely.

If not, I am definitely up for a meet-up either pre or post eclipse!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:01 pm

Another FF'er who will be in China for the eclipse. We (3 persons) are in Shanghai Thurs and Friday 16-17 before taking train down to Hangzhou. Also would be nice to meet anyone who is there that early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.