Beijing / PEK Hotels - suggestions: Discussion from 2009 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing / PEK Hotels - suggestions: Discussion from 2009 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: Airline: AC, BR; Hotel: Fairmont
I will be staying at the Fairmont Beijing (http://www.fairmont.com/beijing) during my March 2010 trip. The hotel is scheduled to open in early February and has a great opening offer (stay 2 and get 1 free).
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:41 pm

There are many more interesting hotels in Beijing than the cookie-cutter Courtyard. Why not consider something with a distinctive local flavour, or at least of a more individual character?

And avoid private guides like the plague. They'll have their hands deep in your pockets, are exceedingly misled about their history, and you can very easily get about by yourself, better informed by materials you bring from overseas.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Rocket,

For our day trip to the Great Wall, we hired a car and driver for 600 Yuan
$90 (US$) 2 weeks ago. We didn't think that we needed a guide to see the Forbidden City and Tian'anmen Sq. Looking back, a guide may have been helpful with whatever history they may have provided. Heck, even if it would have been wrong, it still would have been better than what we had in the guidebook. There are some guides, maybe I should say 'guides' hanging around the entrance to the Forbidden City.

As for hotels, we stayed at the Holiday Inn, West Beijing. It's 25 - 30 minutes by subway to the Tian'anmen station. Even if you stayed 'downtown', subway ride is about the same time. Subway cost is US 29 cents. Holiday Inns are much nicer out of the US. Heck, if you closed your eyes, you would have thought Hilton or Sheraton. We used our points for 3 nights, and paid US$58 for the 4th night. Breakfast not included.

I'd suggest researching Lonely Planet, Frommers, and/or Tripadvisor for additional information.

Have fun. The Chinese people are very friendly. ^
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53

For our day trip to the Great Wall, we hired a car and driver for 600 Yuan
$90 (US$) 2 weeks ago.

Just in passing, and only so no one thinks this much has to be spent, it is possible to get a taxi to most sections of Wall near Beijing for less than this, and indeed often considerably less, depending on the section chosen.

We didn't think that we needed a guide to see the Forbidden City and Tian'anmen Sq. Looking back, a guide may have been helpful with whatever history they may have provided. Heck, even if it would have been wrong, it still would have been better than what we had in the guidebook.

This is surely an argument for a better choice of guide book, not for paying too much money to someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, and if licensed who has been taught actively to mislead.

Rocket,

There are some guides, maybe I should say 'guides' hanging around the entrance to the Forbidden City.

'Guides', indeed; who will not tell you more (except for material they invent) than can be found on signage within the palace, or on the audio guide you can rent for far less money, and that is typically more comprehensively inaccurate, but all singing from the same politically approved song sheet.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by asj.alt
I will be staying at the Fairmont Beijing (http://www.fairmont.com/beijing) during my March 2010 trip. The hotel is scheduled to open in early February and has a great opening offer (stay 2 and get 1 free).
Is this promo still on? I could not find anything about it on their website.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peter_N-H
Just in passing, and only so no one thinks this much has to be spent, it is possible to get a taxi to most sections of Wall near Beijing for less than this, and indeed often considerably less, depending on the section chosen.

I know there was a lot of discussion about this topic. I was satisfied with the amount paid based on my research here, and on TripAdvisor. For the record, we didn't go to the part of the wall President Obama went to (closest to the city). We went to Muytanyu (sp), which is a little further away, and has less tourist.

Our trip to the wall was the highlight of our 14 day trip, with the exception of riding in C on OZ.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:54 pm

I know there was a lot of discussion about this topic. I was satisfied with the amount paid based on my research here, and on TripAdvisor. For the record, we didn't go to the part of the wall President Obama went to (closest to the city). We went to Muytanyu (sp), which is a little further away, and has less tourist.
Equally just for the record, and setting aside that Trip Advisor is just about the worst source of accurate travel advice on China that you can imagine (other than sites run by Chinese travel companies), the difference in distance is negligible, and taxi drivers prefer Mutianyu to Badaling because highway tolls and parking charges are lower. It is common to pay a figure of not very much more than half that quoted for a trip to Mutianyu.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is common to pay a figure of not very much more than half that quoted for a trip to Mutianyu.
After our last thread on this topic died down (must have been about 6 months ago), I made a conscious decision to stop caring about what people pay for those trips (up to a $100 cap; the chaps that contemplate using hotel cars still need their lectures). By now, anyone who uses FT as a reference for their China travels is surely aware of your y350 figures and the y500 that others toss around.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
After our last thread on this topic died down (must have been about 6 months ago), I made a conscious decision to stop caring about what people pay for those trips (up to a $100 cap; the chaps that contemplate using hotel cars still need their lectures). By now, anyone who uses FT as a reference for their China travels is surely aware of your y350 figures and the y500 that others toss around.
Yes. That old thread was a good starting point for me; (very helpful) but after being on the ground in China, those low cost may have been for a guide only, not guide and driver. A friend of mine that has lived in Beijing for 5 years told me that my cost was reasonable. If he could have driven us, it would have been free.

I'm just saying...
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:23 pm

Yes. That old thread was a good starting point for me; (very helpful) but after being on the ground in China, those low cost may have been for a guide only, not guide and driver.
I think it has been made quite clear that the costs mentioned are for car and driver, with not for a guide either individually or as part of a package. Your original posting says equally clearly that you paid ¥600 for a car and driver, with no mention of a guide. For the sake of those who follow you, I'm merely making the point that is it not necessary to pay that much.

If you are now saying that you took a guide as well (and really, a guide at the Great Wall is even more useless than at most other sites) then of course prices can and will go all over the place.

A friend of mine that has lived in Beijing for 5 years told me that my cost was reasonable.
Unfortunately, and as is often demonstrated on this site, living in Beijing is not of itself a sufficient condition for having accurate information about all aspects of travel there. The most wildly arrant nonsense about accommodation, timing, eating, and particularly costs, appears here all the time (even more so on Trip Advisor) in amongst accurate and coherent reports based on genuine research (almost unheard of on TA).

Nor is having your own vehicle (if that is what is implied about your friend) likely to make you better informed about real-world results of bargaining with taxi drivers.

But no one wants to feel after the event that they paid more than they needed to. Unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that for a car and driver (without guide) much lower figures than that quoted may easily be obtained, and indeed for Mutianyu above other Wall destinations. Those who may follow need to know that.

I'm just saying...
Me, too.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: Airline: AC, BR; Hotel: Fairmont
Originally Posted by Rocket2511
Is this promo still on? I could not find anything about it on their website.
Yes I can still see this promo on their website. The name of the offer is "Exclusive Opening Offer Stay 2 pay 1 night" and you can find it both on the website (if you do a search of room availability starting February 2010 which is when they are scheduled to open I believe) or if you can call their reservation #.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:18 pm

Our trip to the wall was the highlight of our 14 day trip, with the exception of riding in C on OZ.

Mutianyu GW is so much better than Badaling. I am glad that you enjoyed the sights there.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by asj.alt
Yes I can still see this promo on their website. The name of the offer is "Exclusive Opening Offer Stay 2 pay 1 night" and you can find it both on the website (if you do a search of room availability starting February 2010 which is when they are scheduled to open I believe) or if you can call their reservation #.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, but I still cannot see anything about this promo on their website. Do you have a Promo code or something?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:49 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Rocket2511
Sorry, but I still cannot see anything about this promo on their website. Do you have a Promo code or something?
There is nothing on the main page about this special rate.

On their site, enter your dates in the Check Availability box on the right and click Check Availability & Rates.

I put in arrive March 1, depart March 4 and one of the available room rates for those dates is:

Exclusive Opening Offer Stay 2 pay 1 night
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your original posting says equally clearly that you paid ¥600 for a car and driver, with no mention of a guide.
Sorry if that wasn't clear. We had a car/driver and guide.

BTW, Peter, I found your threads very useful in planning my trip. Thanks to you and everyone else for sharing.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.