Reload this Page >

Chinese visa discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The information in this thread is obsolete. Please consider this thread a historic archive of past issues and discussion regarding China visas, as it is now closed to further posting.

Recent posts have been moved to the relevant and currently active "sticky" thread, China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know).

Thank you,

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Print Wikipost

Chinese visa discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
i believe that a permit is needed and this is obtained via travel agent, so that you are a part of a "group." Once you deplane in Lhasa however, its my knowledge that no one really checks to see what you are doing or where you are going, so the "being a part of the group" is just a way for you to shell out a couple of hundred bucks for a permit.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Skyman65
What is the deal with getting a visa for Tibet? Is this something that is not easy to get, or is it just a matter of filling out a form and paying a fee?

Do you have to go with a tour, or can you travel on your own?
Based on all of the Chinese characters in your signature, I'm guessing that you are of Chinese descent. If so, I think you have a pretty good chance of bypassing the Tibet permit charade. If you (or anyone else) desires, send me a PM and I will put you in touch with my ABC friend that went there sans permit. But, that might not be necessary; just have an actual Chinese citizen buy your tickets and you should be fine.

Edited to correct typo that has already been quoted.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 17, 2006 at 5:47 pm
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Based on all of the Chinese characters in your signature, I'm guessing that you are of Chinese dissent. If so, I think you have a pretty good chance of bypassing the Tibet permit charade. If you (or anyone else) desires, send me a PM and I will put you in touch with my ABC friend that went there sans permit. But, that might not be necessary; just have an actual Chinese citizen buy your tickets and you should be fine.
Actually, I'm only half-Chinese. And that's all on the inside.

From the outside, I am a short, fat, redhead. So I don't think this will work.

My wife (who is full-blood Han Ren) and I are headed to China next week, and we were casually toying with the idea of taking a side-trip to Tibet. But I get the feeling this is not something to be done casually. So we'll save it for another time when we have more time to prepare for it. Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Skyman, though I have never done it, I think you are taking it too seriously. If you can, talk to a reputable travel agent in Beijing. I would bet that they could have everything arranged pretty quickly... How long will you be over there?

anyone with info on the X visa?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
anyone with info on the X visa?
As I mentioned to you via PM, I think X visas are not well suited for people like yourself. Sure, you are a student, but you also plan on working in China in the future. In this case, I think you should shoot for F from the get-go.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Question What is a "transit visa"??

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Transiting at Shanghai without a visa (or without using your visa) should be well possible for Americans, Brits and a good number of other EU nationals under certain circumstances, but it still puts some of the PVG immigration officials into a bit of a spin and will result in a pax being pulled to the side. Sort of amusing to see the faces of immigration officials there and especially of a passenger who is being "pulled aside" there.

When someone is doing the transit at PVG, the Chinese immigration officials should be told in advance (upon getting to the desk), especially if you are on a limited number of entries visa or are doing so without a visa (i.e., including a visa on arrival kind of situation). And then being shuffled over will be facilitated and the option of preserving such a visa for later use actually may exist (if done properly and competently). That said, it's a tourist visa that is of interest to said poster, right? Any rather consistent way to convert the transit visa into a tourist visa upon entering China?

Earlier in July, I did my first 60-minute international-to-international transit at PVG. Not generally recommended by me.
I am still not quite sure what a "transit visa" is. Does "transit visa" allow you go leave the airport and stay over night in the city, shopping and touring for 48 hours? or "transit visa" only allows you to stay at a transit hotel on the airside for 48 hours?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Mama
I am still not quite sure what a "transit visa" is. Does "transit visa" allow you go leave the airport and stay over night in the city, shopping and touring for 48 hours? or "transit visa" only allows you to stay at a transit hotel on the airside for 48 hours?
the latter. remember, you don't need transit visas to do the same in sh
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mama
In Shanghai, when using PVG, a "transit visa" (on arrival for Americans and a few other nationals) allows you to leave the airport and stay overnight in the city -- including to go shopping and touring within the 48 hours (or whatever time is applicable to get you out of China within the proscribed time).
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:44 am

Visa validity extended: now 6 months instead of 3

According to the visa service that I use, a Chinese visa now valid for 6 months instead of 3 months -- that is, you need to enter China within 6 months of the visa having been issued, not within 3 months. (The amount of time you can stay in China depends on the type of visa that you get. I have no reason to believe that this has changed.)

(Not sure how long this has been going on, but I don't recall reading about it.)
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:55 pm
In memoriam

I have a two entry visa that was good for six months. Used one entry. Wonder if there has been an extension so I can use my second entry next year?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:09 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I have a two entry visa that was good for six months. Used one entry. Wonder if there has been an extension so I can use my second entry next year?

Why bother with visas...you can get a Chinese Green card good for 10 years.
This allows unlimited entry and exit. You probably don't meet any of the requirements, but if you invest over $2million of your personal money in a business or have a PHD in nuclear physics you might be one of the lucky 700 or so out of 1.3 billion people who did get one.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by wideman
According to the visa service that I use, a Chinese visa now valid for 6 months instead of 3 months
imo anyone who has been to china before would be best served by getting the best visa on offer to them (e.g. one/two year L/F)
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:30 pm

Programs: Many
One year multiple entry F with virtually no paperwork can be obtained thru the US-China Chamber of Commerce in Chicago. Not sure if you have never had a China visa before this can be done, but I had several L in my passport.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:38 pm

What do you need to show for the transit visa in PVG? Do you need actual paper tickets or is an e-ticket confirm OK? I would think Eticket would be ok nowadays since most airlines, international atleast have gone to that.

That's because I'm coming in from HKG connecting to the AA flight back to the US.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
In Shanghai, when using PVG, a "transit visa" (on arrival for Americans and a few other nationals) allows you to leave the airport and stay overnight in the city -- including to go shopping and touring within the 48 hours (or whatever time is applicable to get you out of China within the proscribed time).
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Noodlesz
What do you need to show for the transit visa in PVG? Do you need actual paper tickets or is an e-ticket confirm OK? I would think Eticket would be ok nowadays since most airlines, international atleast have gone to that.

That's because I'm coming in from HKG connecting to the AA flight back to the US.

Thanks.
Etickets are ok, but have a printout of your eticket itinerary/receipt.

Sometimes the airline staff are ill-informed so you might want material from the Chinese consulate/embassy websites showing that you are correct. Timatic, which a lot of airlines use, also shows that it is possible.

If you are on one ticket and doing a same-day transit, the airline reps at PVG may be waiting for you right where you enter the main terminal building (right after getting off the jetbridge).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.