Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Scifience
This actually depends on how the visa is worded. If your visa's "expiration date" says "enter before," your understanding is correct; if it says "valid until," then you must both enter and leave before the date indicated.

The latter type is no longer as common as it once was, at least for visas issued in the US, but they do still exist and it's worth checking to be sure, especially if you picked up your visa somewhere in Asia.
thanks for the clarification!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by drewguy
In my case it does say "enter before", although I would depart anyway by the date. (It's 30 days in my case)

Anyone know if I get a new passport I can use the visa in the old passport (which won't have expired but will have been cancelled)?
Yup. Been there, done that.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:00 am
Original Poster

I asked if I can still extend a L visa. Was told yes but bring $100 per day you want to extend for (male staff). I go and get the money. Told no more L visa extensions (female staff). Went to another (female) staff and was told the same. Went to the manager on duty told him the whole story and I got my extension.

Hate to push stereotypes... Anyway, it seems like extensions on L will soon be dead but if you push for one you can still get one.

Last edited by Shimon; Jul 16, 2013 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shimon
I asked if I can still extend a L visa. Was told yes but bring $100 per day you want to extend for (male staff). I go and get the money. Told no more L visa extensions (female staff). Went to another (female) staff and was told the same. Went to the manager on duty told him the whole story and I got my extension.

Hate to push stereotypes... Anyway, it seems like extensions on L will soon be dead but if you push for one you can still get one.
rmb or $$??
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:14 am
Original Poster

$$... the standard for L visa. 30 days, $3000. You just show them as proof of funds. In my case they didn't count at all just saw a stack of hundreds and said okay.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: various
L visa Extensions

1) Extension Cost: The requirement to show proof of funds (equivalent of USD 100 per day x 30 days extension period) is not new but has been sporadically enforced over the last few years, most notoriously in Beijing but it has happened in a few other big cities as well. Technically, this is supposed to be in a Chinese bank account. Some people have gotten away with showing a credit card, others cash or just talking their way out of it. However, this requirement to show proof of funds was rarely to never enforced on most western passport holders in smaller cities.....this is why I normally recommend extension seekers plan to be in a smaller place that has a reputation for easy going and fast PSB. But this is not a new regulation.

2) Extensions at All: The new regulations are supposed to allow for ONE in-country extension only on an L visa, for 30 additional days, which enabled a stay of 55-60 days. In the past, most first world passport holders had little trouble getting a second extension as well to come up with a total continuous period of 80-90 days. Keep in mind that new L visas are supposed to be issued for tourism; family visit/reunion visas will be changing over to type Q, which may have different criteria for extensions. So far, we haven't heard of Q's being issued yet so implementation may take a little time.

3) Extensions for the Transition Period: There has been talk that a moratorium on extensions on L visas will be effective from now until the fall (I've heard end of September), at which point they will resume with the new one-extension-only policy. This is all unconfirmed and there are few field reports yet to indicate a new baseline or a trend. But it means that anybody traveling in China over the next 3 months, with an itinerary that requires an extension to make a longer stay work out, better have a contingency Plan B.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shimon
$$... the standard for L visa. 30 days, $3000. You just show them as proof of funds. In my case they didn't count at all just saw a stack of hundreds and said okay.
phew. I thought you meant there was a payment required of $100 per additional day you wanted an extension! (I might be looking to extend my current visa by 30 days later this year)

and thanks to Jiejie too.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:20 am

The 2 year F seems to still exist.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/adr/
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:48 am

F invite letter template

Guys, I really can't issue invites for everyone right now because there is a lot of 关系 at stake, but here is the text of a letter I just wrote:

Dear sir or madam:

I am writing to you in order to lend my support on behalf of <APPLICANT'S> PRC visa application.

I humbly request that you issue him a 24 month multiple entry F visa that is valid for 90 days per stay.

Our company develops leading edge GPS devices, and <APPLICANT> is an expert in our industry. He is also a founding member of <IMPRESSIVE COMPANY> and a former managing partner at <ANOTHER IMPRESSIVE COMPANY>. He is committed to helping China blossom.

<APPLICANT'S> next trip to China will take place in August of this year, and he will stay with us in Shenzhen for two weeks.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me any time. My phone number is <PHONE NUMBER>.

Thanks and Regards,
<NAME>
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
heh, do you ever get phone calls inquiring about your support letter?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
No.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Chicago July update

Originally Posted by hoops7k
Since I have to go through Chicago I guess I am stuck in the one year loop. I have never had success with Houston before the consular jurisdiction rule and Chicago.
My 25 year old son, just did get a 1 year multi-entry L visa, each stay at 90 days. No letter, just the online 4 page ap form and his itinerary. ( finally burned up my Delta-dumb points )

As MD said, they still have the 2 year F visa , In Chicago, you just need a good letter, & 2 past years of 1 year F visa's.

Also i heard a rumor that DC will have a 3 year F visa's soon.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Milano consulate has phoned 3 times in >13 years AFAIK (the 3 times when my host letter writer told me they had received a call). As an overall percentage quite low.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: various
Anecdotally, there are indications that verification phone calls are happening with more frequency now and may increase, even though the overall % is still going to be low. I briefed my visa LOI invitee (individual) in China to be prepared to field such a call...although it did not happen.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
L still good from New York

Fresh 1yr/90day/multiple L visa from New York this week
Just provided a copy of hotels and flights

Was worried things are changing so got a new visa a bit early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.