Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese "tea ceremony" scam, "see my art" and other scams

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
If there is rental of boyfriend for CNY, whose to say, you couldn't rent parents, which would be easier as in most instances there would be zero communication.
Yes, but unlike a rental boyfriend of girlfriend any person with half a brain could probably see thru the rental parents scam pretty quickly.

Firstly even assuming you could get a real couple to play along with it, they probably wouldn't know their "child" well enough to convince others. If the person has been scamming enough to have a well rehearsed set of rental parents then you'll just have to hand it to them to sell you the scam thru and thru. But my guess is that most scammers would probably not make the effort and just move on to easier targets.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I consider the marriage scam in a different class of it's own. In my mind this thread is more about scams typical tourists might see.

That being said, anyone expat that dates an attractive Chinese should always beware. And to me if you are fooled and you didn't do your homework, I really don't have that much sympathy for you.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
so i'm heading to Beijing for 1st time. I've transited there and been to Chengdu 2 times & Guangzhou once. Pretty savvy traveller. I just have 1 day in Bj and definitely plan to stroll around Tianamen/Forbidden City...so I assume high likely hood of being approached.

Here's my question...I'm pretty savvy traveler, and now fully aware of the different scams. Is there any danger in engaging the girls...doing the whole, chatting, walking, etc. Then we we arrive at the Tea place, or Art place...and just saying "oh no...nevermind" and taking off, while still out on the street.

Would like to turn the tables and waste their time...and even chat with the pretty girl - but obviously wouldn't do this if any physical risk. Like if they pull out a whistle or yell and some dudes come a chasin'!

Just thinking as long as I dont enter inside any place I'm safe? Or not worth it?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by rwm818
so i'm heading to Beijing for 1st time. I've transited there and been to Chengdu 2 times & Guangzhou once. Pretty savvy traveller. I just have 1 day in Bj and definitely plan to stroll around Tianamen/Forbidden City...so I assume high likely hood of being approached.

Here's my question...I'm pretty savvy traveler, and now fully aware of the different scams. Is there any danger in engaging the girls...doing the whole, chatting, walking, etc. Then we we arrive at the Tea place, or Art place...and just saying "oh no...nevermind" and taking off, while still out on the street.

Would like to turn the tables and waste their time...and even chat with the pretty girl - but obviously wouldn't do this if any physical risk. Like if they pull out a whistle or yell and some dudes come a chasin'!

Just thinking as long as I dont enter inside any place I'm safe? Or not worth it?
Sounds like you have time to waste but why bother? I don't think that it is very unsafe.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by JPDM
Sounds like you have time to waste but why bother? I don't think that it is very unsafe.
yeah, i know...probably not good form (or karma)...better just let them be.
But something clicked like getting some modicum of "revenge" for other foreigners they have scammed. I'm sure in the end I won't do it...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
I agree, not unsafe, but the idea itself strikes me as "get a life!" subject matter.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
But something clicked like getting some modicum of "revenge" for other foreigners they have scammed. I'm sure in the end I won't do it...
And please don't forget that you might end up in some shady area (without even knowing where you actually are) from where it might be hard to get away. The availability of taxis pretty much depends on where you end up and what the current conditions (night, rain etc.) are.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
I agree, not unsafe, but the idea itself strikes me as "get a life!" subject matter.
Agreed. Make better use of your time in Beijing. The best way to chat up the girls is briefly. I like the word "No" which is about as brief as one can get.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It is very noble of you to seek revenge for white boys trying to cure their "yellow fever".
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:57 pm

If you fancy to meet "real" girls then hit up on of the coffee places (not Starbucks, but those rather cosy places that are opening like crazy all over China) - best chance to find someone being able to speak English well (I assume you can't speak Chinese) and who wouldn't mind to spend a few hours of being your "tourist guide" in exchange for a coffee and some conversation.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If you fancy to meet "real" girls then hit up on of the coffee places (not Starbucks, but those rather cosy places that are opening like crazy all over China) - best chance to find someone being able to speak English well (I assume you can't speak Chinese) and who wouldn't mind to spend a few hours of being your "tourist guide" in exchange for a coffee and some conversation.
As much as I dislike coffee in general and Starbucks in particular, I have to disagree with your assessment in this case. In many parts, Starbucks remains the place to be seen, regardless of whether there are better venues nearby.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:51 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Would like to turn the tables and waste their time...and even chat with the pretty girl - but obviously wouldn't do this if any physical risk.
Physical risk?

That's subjective.

Order up 10 xiaojie and a dozen bottles of Louis XIII.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by moondog
As much as I dislike coffee in general and Starbucks in particular, I have to disagree with your assessment in this case. In many parts, Starbucks remains the place to be seen, regardless of whether there are better venues nearby.
Well, we both dislike Starbucks apparently, but maybe there was a slight misunderstanding, in what I tried to express: If he goes to Starbucks, then there is less chance to meet up with some slightly "nerdy" Chinese youth (both male or female) but rather with some "Hipsters", who might be less interested in playing a tourist guide for a couple hours. While I would assume that when he visits one of the other coffee chains (more laid down, relaxing type) like Zoo Coffee or whatever they're all called (I'm not up to date what chains have been jumping out in PEK recently) there is imho a better chance of meeting up with less Hipster and more "Nerd" people that would be more interested in some talk with a foreigner. But I guess this is very personal feeling, and generally, I would avoid those stores mostly*

*I've found some coffee places in NKG and CAN which do have rather cheap, decent beer and snacks, and where I wouldn't mind spending 6-8 RMB for a glass of it, as compared to Bars (15-20+ RMB) which are both more loud and less cozzy for those times I really just want to chill.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
I don't visit the area much but I'd imagine the nerdy types don't frequent coffee shops within the 2nd ring all that often, they are usually resigned to the margins of Wudakou and other such studenty places. Let's be honest though, nerdy Chinese types have a 0% chance of turning into the prom queen by taking off their glasses and letting down their hair as they do in those 'popular jock accepts bet' type US movies

Not really a coffee drinker but do enjoy a trip to Maan Coffee every now and again who have cornered the market in my little piece of town. Very much Yummy Mummy territory though, whether or not that is the OP's thing....

Zoo Coffee is jokes, though fair play they have managed to survive 'bankrupt corner' on the Upper East Side for more than a year. They hilariously ripped of the Lets Burger logo, menu design and everything before obviously being pulled up on it. Seemed to have opened a location at Solana, but seeing as Coldstone had to close their operation there, can't see it lasting.

Bit off topic methinks anyway
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:55 pm

Generally, Chinese do not go to coffee shops to meet foreigners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.