Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OH MY GOD! I think I ate cat meat kabob/satay in Shanghai, China! (disguised as lamb)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Reminds me of a story recently. Tiger meat is apparently a delicacy out there. A restaurant was cutting corners by selling donkey meat soaked in tiger urine. Doesnt sound too tasty to me....
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:07 pm

I'll sympathize with the OP. I'm of the "I'll eat pretty much anything I'm served and smile while doing it" school, but as a cat lover and owner, the thought of eating Felix makes me gag. Rule #1 - never ask what you're eating. Rule #2 - don't think about it.

I'm not a medical doctor, but I think cooking will kill most parasites. Don't worry too much -- and follow Rule #2.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:15 pm
jab

Programs: EXP AA, PLT Marriott
I am of the don't ask, don't tell school of thought. If overseas and my host suggest I try something then its ok for me.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
so is dog.
Plenty of them in Korea!
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:24 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
There's a saying in China. It's particularly for Guangzhou. "We eat everything with four legs except tables and chairs." Personally, I don't see how cat could be made into kebabs, but never know these days. I've heard of it prepared as a stew.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:24 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
That's horrible. Esp after SARS.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by barefootflying
Did it taste like chicken?? They said the cuy I ordered in Cusco would....but they lied...

Should I go see my doctor on Monday and get myself examined? If so, what kind of diseases could I have gotten? The news mentioned something about parasites in cats... I have not felt any thing weird with my body in the last couple of month... but still... do I have reason to worry?
Only if you have the sensation of creepy crawlies on the inside.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Hehe, well, if you havn't had any symptoms already you should be fine. There are many other people that have eaten cat, and noting happens to them.

As a matter of fact, one of my friends dad once told me that the best way to prepare a cat was to drown it, rather than shoot or stab it, becuse when you drown a cat, the muscles stay relaxed, and therefore more tender.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:07 pm

Did it taste like lamb?
More importantly, was it good?

I had several of them.
I guess so.

I love cats too, and am disgusted with the idea of eating our pets, but if served a dish that I loved, it would only be in retrospect, such as how you learned, that it would gross me out. Anyone read "In Pharoah's Army"? At the end of his tour in Vietnam, his final meal, unbeknownest to him, is a dog he had previously rescued from being eaten. When told, he is at first sad, but then decides to finish his meal/dog, which he said was very good. Shoot, several threads down is someone asking about where to find fried brains. People eat almost anything in the name of cuisine.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA9861

As a matter of fact, one of my friends dad once told me that the best way to prepare a cat was to drown it, rather than shoot or stab it, becuse when you drown a cat, the muscles stay relaxed, and therefore more tender.
How is that possible? Cats would go beserk if you put them in water. My cat would rather die than be given a bath.

Back to the original subject... I am also someone who eats "almost" everything... but the thought of having eaten a cat sickens me... As I type this, my cat is staring at me in a funny way.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get myself checked out... after that, I'll just forget this ever happened...
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Voyager0927
Well, at least you didn't have a little priest, although knowing China's feelings toward organized religion, it wouldn't terribly surprise me....
Ah, but you have to try the Shepherds pie peppered with actual shepherd! Um, good!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I don't like the idea of eating cat either but i'm not freaking out about it.

I also had Kebabs in Shanghai a year ago and Guangzhou/Shenzhen a year before that.

Lamb? maybe.. Cat? Maybe.. i'm sitting here, not freaking out about it though. I don't feel any worse than I did before the cheeseburger I had for lunch

Seriously, like lamb or steak, if it's thoroughly cooked, it's probably fine.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
Ah, but you have to try the Shepherds pie peppered with actual shepherd! Um, good!
Or those yummy Girl Scout cookies!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:14 am
JPB

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M
I guess it wouldn't hurt to get myself checked out... after that, I'll just forget this ever happened...
Don't waste your time or money going to get checked out by a doctor. You ate a kebab and where not sick afterwards so there is nothing medically wrong with you.

You have no idea what you actually ate all you have seen is a TV report which states it could have been cat, it just as easily could have been dog or who knows maybe it actually was lamb. Just move on it really is not worth getting stressed about.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The chinese restaurant a couple of miles from my house has been busted at least 3 times for having cats in their meat locker. These are not mousers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.