Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Fabric Market/Tailor

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Shanghai Fabric Market/Tailor

Is the Shanghai NanWai Tan Textile Cloth Market on #399 LuJiaBang Rd. ("Fabric Market") open on Sundays? Also, do they take credit cards, or cold hard RMB only?

I've gotten recommendations about them, and will have a limited window to see a tailor on an upcoming trip (Sunday, 12/9/07 only for shopping, selection of tailor & first fitting). Can squeeze in additional fittings during the week/evenings, and won't need to receive goods until Saturday 12/15.

Any additional recommendations welcome. There doesn't seem to be much info in this forum re: tailors in Shanghai.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:04 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JHattery
Is the Shanghai NanWai Tan Textile Cloth Market on #399 LuJiaBang Rd. ("Fabric Market") open on Sundays? Also, do they take credit cards, or cold hard RMB only?

I've gotten recommendations about them, and will have a limited window to see a tailor on an upcoming trip (Sunday, 12/9/07 only for shopping, selection of tailor & first fitting). Can squeeze in additional fittings during the week/evenings, and won't need to receive goods until Saturday 12/15.

Any additional recommendations welcome. There doesn't seem to be much info in this forum re: tailors in Shanghai.
I would recommend ALAN on the first floor (escalator up). He is very good and require no or limited fittings. Accepts credit cards (may add commission to the invoice) or cash. Open on Sundays.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:39 am

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....09&postcount=5

About 80% are foreigner clients, turn around time will vary - some will do it in 24 hours, others in more time. Basically open 24/7 type hours.

I prefer at least two fittings, which of course requires more time. I've only paid in cash since a couple hundred (US$) goes a long long way.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by dtsm
Try this:

Shanghai South Bund Soft-Spinning Material Market. (Fabric Market for short).

There are three full floors of at least 50 shops each. Selling clothing materials, ready made jackets, ties, anything that you wear (even underwear but except condoms!) You can get a good bargain there. One OP walked in with 3900 RMB (Approx US$490) and came out with order of tailor made:

1) Overall Jacket (Cashmere) = 1000RMB
2) One set of Tuxedo (Suit and Pants) = 900 RMB
3) 4 shirts (2 X Tuxedo style, 2 X normal shirts) = 500 RMB
4) One waist length Leather Jacket (real leather) = 1200 RMB
5) 5 X Wool Scarves = 300RMB

I think search will also get more detail information re other shops in the same Market....this topic has been discussed in past.
Ended up using Jackson Xue, 1F, stall #153 (based on a personal recommendation). Enter building on "long" side and his stall is basically straight ahead. He did excellent work, and delivered to the hotel the morning of our departure after making a few fitting-related adjustments.

For 3320RMB, we collectively got -

1) 1 2-pc suit, 600 RMB
2) 3 sport coats, 400 RMB ea.
3) 2 dress shirts, 100 RMB ea (small guy, less fabric)
4) 12 dress shirts, 110 RMB ea. (big guy, a lot more fabric - 3 french cuff, 1 button down, 8 plain)

Got another 200 RMB knocked off at last minute because order was "late" due to seamstress issue, so all in 3120 RMB, about $425-430 USD. Much better pricing than Seoul/HK, and equivalent quality IMO.

Very pleased with quality of work and quality of fabric.

Leave plenty of time for fitting(s) for best results.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold,
Thumbs up shanghai soft fabric market

After searching the forums on the fabric market. I visited there recently. I had 4 suits, and a cashmere long coat made for 3000 RMB. I think I could have gotten the suits for about 400 RMB, but 500 RMB was okay. I used booth #222 as I had read that their work was satisfactory and it turned out fine. I insisted on a fitting and that they take their time. Its a good thing because the coat was a bit tight and the suit jacket was a bit tight as well during the fitting. After the suits were done the young woman who worked there (at my request) took me to a tie booth and I purchased 8 ties for 120 RMB. If I had it to do again I would have them move the side pockets on the coat down about 3 inches, but still I am satisfied overall. UA 1K 1M GS
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Agree with JHattery, we also had Jackson Xue as our tailor and all items (11) were made very well and have sttod up. Will use him again on our next trip.
Old May 19, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC 50K, MR Plat
Originally Posted by JHattery
Ended up using Jackson Xue, 1F, stall #153 (based on a personal recommendation). Enter building on "long" side and his stall is basically straight ahead. He did excellent work, and delivered to the hotel the morning of our departure after making a few fitting-related adjustments.

For 3320RMB, we collectively got -

1) 1 2-pc suit, 600 RMB
2) 3 sport coats, 400 RMB ea.
3) 2 dress shirts, 100 RMB ea (small guy, less fabric)
4) 12 dress shirts, 110 RMB ea. (big guy, a lot more fabric - 3 french cuff, 1 button down, 8 plain)

Got another 200 RMB knocked off at last minute because order was "late" due to seamstress issue, so all in 3120 RMB, about $425-430 USD. Much better pricing than Seoul/HK, and equivalent quality IMO.

Very pleased with quality of work and quality of fabric.

Leave plenty of time for fitting(s) for best results.

I'd like to try Jackson as well. A few questions, how far is the market from the Hilton Shanghai? And how many fittings are required? I get in on Thursday and fly out on Sunday to Beijing.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm planning a Late november trip to Shanghai and after seeing this article from 2006 was wondering if the referenced relocation of the fabric market has begun. Does anyone have any current information?

http://madaboutshanghai.blogs.com/ma..._tailor_m.html
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm planning a Late november trip to Shanghai and after seeing this article from 2006 was wondering if the referenced relocation of the fabric market has begun. Does anyone have any current information?

http://madaboutshanghai.blogs.com/ma..._tailor_m.html
Check out Shanghaiexpat.com. They have some pretty knowledgeable people on that board and should be able to help you out.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Does somebody have any recent experience with a fabric market tailor?

Afaik the marked moved to a different location. Where is it located now?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Was just there in June. It's still @ 399 Lujiabang Lu.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Was just there in June. It's still @ 399 Lujiabang Lu.
any suggestions on a good tailor there?

what price do I have to expect for some shirts?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Rocket2511
any suggestions on a good tailor there?

what price do I have to expect for some shirts?
I've used Smith's on the outside, and Flora on the inside on the 1st floor. I thought both were pretty good.

Shirts should be 90-100 RMB. You shouldn't have to pay extra for french cuff either.

I got a bunch of shirts from Smith's on the corner for 90 RMB.
If you are in Shanghai for a while, I'd recommend getting one made and then go back the next week to make sure the fit is good, then order more.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:42 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Has anyone used Jackson Xue recently? Planning a trip in August, and if he's still around would like to send him the business. (Have worked with him pre-pandemic).
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Something tells me the pricing mentioned in the earlier posts isn't accurate any longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.